Scott: Need Advice on using NXT on my G coupe

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Type R Boy, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Type R Boy

Type R Boy Guest

My car is only 7 months old. When it was 3 days old I clay barred it and used some "Worlds best wax"

Now that the weather is warming up here I want to try out the NXT Tech Wax. What should I do to prep it. I have washed my car recently and it looks like the wax that was on there has held up very well against the winter weather. It still feels silky smooth, save for the front bumper.

My question is how should I prep this car before using the NXT, can I just wash and use it? Should I re-clay? or should I use some paint cleaner, followed by some polish before I use the NXT.

Thanks.

2. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

I'm not Scott, but this all depends on what you want. If you want to do just a little bit of work, I would at least lightly polish it before applying NXT. If you want to get the best results you should go through all the steps (claying may not be necessary on the vertical panels as you did it recently enough).

NXT alone doesn't do much. At least, in my experience, but after a light polish it is really good. I think Meguiars should make an pre-NXT polish. Maybe rebadge #9 or something. :)

3. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

To add to RedGoober4Life, you only need to clay and do some heavy paint cleaning if your paint actaully needs it. I can't see your car, but based on what you said, I would use a light polish like Vanilla Moose, then apply NXT.

4. Type R Boy

Type R Boy Guest

should I use Meguiars #9 or #6 before the NXT??

How about the fne cut cleaner (#2) ??

5. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

You would use all polishes before the NXT. Use the heaviest cut first, then work your way back down to the lightest. Then apply wax.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

#2 is probably too aggressive if the paint is in good shape.

I'd use #9, NXT x 2 (one day apart) and top with Meguiars #16 Pro Paste Wax 24 hours after the second coat of NXT.

7. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Why NXT x2 and then Meguair's #16? Wouldn't that be like putting on 3 layers of wax?

8. Scottwax

Good math skills! I can't get anything past you. :wiggle:

NXT seems to get the best look using two thin layers (anything beyond that is wasting product) and topping with #16 will add noticable wetness to the paint and #16 is hella durable. Sort of like S100 on steriods.

9. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Any word back on how durable NXT is?

10. Southpaw

Southpaw Guest

Hey, I guess I had the same question as this guy so I'll just follow up in this thread.

My car is a 2000 and is in some pretty good shape, the paint looks alright and there are just a few chips out of the paint in the front. Last summer I just used turtle wax on it :hs: because I didnt know of anything better. When it warms up outside, I think this is what I have planned:

wash
    claybar some of the scuffs out of the front bumper
    clearkotes vanilla moose polish
    poorboys ex sealant
    and then try the waxing method listed in this thread using the NXTx2 and then the Miguiars on top, or do you suggest even throwing the s100 overtop?

I wasnt too sure about using cleaner compounds or swirl removers though because I really don't want to mess up the paint job. That step would go before the polish of course, any suggestions about that?

I really dont know if this stuff will mix to well, any better suggestions for a beginner?

If it helps the cars color is Tampa Blue. Thanks

11. Southpaw

Southpaw Guest

Btw, I have tried a lot of searching looked through the stickied threads. It seems the product list sticky is outdated though because of the new NXT wax that came out. I guess that was my main concern, using outdated stuff. :o

12. Scottwax

I posted this on Autopia:

My impressions of NXT durability at the nearly 2 month point
    Regarding NXT durability-

I polished out a BMW 545 (pics in my gallery from that detail) on January 23rd and topped with NXT. I washed it today and it was still beading very well. I also asked my customer and he says it is beading when it rains. He normally takes it through one of the local car washes about once a week and has me give it a hand wash monthly. A 1995 Lexus LS400 I wash every two weeks was waxed with NXT on January 25th (either in my autopia or photohost gallery) and it is also beading very well. I might also mention we had 15 days of rain and a day and a half of snow during this time.

Appearance-wise, both cars still look very good, NXT seems to really hold it's look. I went over an LS430 at the same office as the LS400 today and nearly two month old NXT may not have looked quite as good, but held it's own in comparison. Slickness is only so-so though. At this point, Clearkotes Carnauba Moose is noticably slicker.

At the nearly two month point, I'd grade NXT this way:

Beading- B
    Appearance- A-
    Slickness- C

13. Scottwax

Southpaw-if you are going to use the EX Sealant, get the EX-P version (it is a pure sealant without carnauba), apply one or two layers then top with S100, Meguiars #16 or Poorboy's Natty Wax. I'd leave NXT completely out of the equation since it does have mild cleaners that will probably remove any EX you lay down first.

14. Southpaw

Southpaw Guest

Thanks for the help, I think I need to search around this forum for awhile longer to figure out what I should/need to do to get my car looking its best. Maybe then I'll start a new thread and see what you think. :)

15. Scottwax

Vanilla Moose, EX-P and topping with Meguiars #16 will not only look amazing, but it will be very durable.

Emphasis on 'very'. #16 beads like a madman.

16. Southpaw

Southpaw Guest

Sweet, maybe it won't be that hard then. I still think I'll wait for the cleaner/swirl remover after I see how this works out for me. If it helps I'll take some before/after pics when I get the products and it warms up a little up here in WI. :bigthumb:

17. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

It's not out of date. I was waiting back on the durability of NXT before I put it in there. It looks fantastic, but if it only lasted a month or so, it would be worthless.

18. Scottwax

Some people on Autopia are having durability issues. Mostly the Zaino people, but even some more neutral people are too, mostly related to long stretches of poor winter weather, so NXT might be better as a warm weather product than winter protection.

19. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I have the same problem. Winter is a real bitch here, I've found that #26 and Carnauba Moose offer me the best protection since I religiously wax every 3 months.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2004
  20. RedGoober4Life

I didn't get good durability. Many things could have affected it. I did top it with Liquid Souveran and it looks really nice (beads fairly well too).

Beading on my mom's stratus after a month or so isn't too good. It looks good after a wash, so I really don't care. NXT has some weird beading properties, as many people at Autopia are finding out.

Meguiars needs to change the bottle. It's really annoying.

edit: I'm in western NY (Near Buffalo). So, winter and that--you could take my analysis with a grain of salt. Seems like quite a bit of people do on autopia. ;)

21. RedGoober4Life

Okie. I used NXT with #16 over it yesterday and all i have to say is

WOW :eek3: The car was red. When we were done, it looked like a wet pool of red paint. So nice. :)

22. Scottwax

It is an excellent combo! Right now, I have NXT, Wolfgang x 2 and Souveran on my own car but next time I go over it, probably just go with NXT x 2 (by PC, 24 hours apart) and top with #16.