Scott-Can you give advice?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Robb, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Robb

Robb Guest

My paint is pretty good on my car however i would like to have a really brilliant and deep wet looking appearance, I have been using the Meguairs 3 step burgundy bottle but have just purchased the meguair show car glaze,meguairs swirl remover and the S100 that you talk about, my question is this, how should i go about applying these products so that i have the best appearance possible? should i do 2 coats of the show car glaze? i hear that stuff is pretty good, also how long should i leave it on, i appologize if these questions have been answered before, i appreciate your time that you have given to this forum, thanks

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Use the swirl remover first. Go over one section at a time with a foam hand applicator front to back over the car, the same way the wind flows over it, working it into the paint until nearly clear and dry. Wipe off the excess after applying it to each section. Now apply the show car glaze in the same manner (front to back until nearly clear and dry using a foam pad), but go over the entire car before removing, since there are a lot of oils in show car glaze and they take a little time to dry. Use very light coats, too, or it is harder to remove.

Wax with even pressure, don't use heavy pressure, no need to. Again, work front to back and remove immediately after waxing each section. S100 should literally wipe off with no effort. It will look very wet and glossy immediately, and even better in a few hours. Carnuba based waxes are funny that way.

BTW, use soft terry cloth or microfiber towels to buff off the excess product.

3. anfrey

anfrey ɹǝƃuoɯǝɔɐǝd

hey scott, i've been meaning to ask you something so i'll just hijaack this thread and not create a new one. . . are those 12-pack terry towels they sell at autoshops like autozone and advanced auto parts any good? the seem rather thin and flimsy to me, not to mention the lint they drop. would i be better off cutting up bath towels or finding thicker ones at my local auto body supply store? or will they still do a decent job?

4. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Depends what you're using them for really. I like to use a nice, thick absorbent bath towel for drying. I'm a fan of the microfiber for buffing and polishing.

5. anfrey

anfrey ɹǝƃuoɯǝɔɐǝd

for polishing and buffing. . . i find the absorber gives me pretty good results drying.

6. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Don't use the absorber. It picks up tiny particles of debris and scratches your paint. Nice thick bath towels will catch the tiny debris in the nap of the towel. Again, I'll tell you that microfiber is the best for buffing and polishing.

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Target sells 12 packs of real soft terry cloth towels for $6.99. You need to wash them first and shake them out real good the first time. After that, they leave very little lint. High quality bath towels are also good.

8. anfrey

anfrey ɹǝƃuoɯǝɔɐǝd

thanks for the input... i'll be going to target soon... EMT, where do u get your microfiber towels and how much?

9. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I use the same MF towels that Scott suggested to me. Blue and yellow Turtle Wax ones. They're available at AutoZone.

10. anfrey

anfrey ɹǝƃuoɯǝɔɐǝd

right on, thanks... time for a product change :big grin: