scott... a few questions for you.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Girth, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

I have a 92 Mustang GT. The previous owner started re-painting the car one side out of time -- yes, I know... very dumb of him -- so, I have one side of the car (driver side) thats nice and shiny, but the rest of the car is 'cloudy' and looks like the 11 year old paint that it should be.

For shits and giggles, I waxed it once right after I bought it. But I only waxed the parts that didn't have the new paint on them, and for a week or so, the car looks very uniform. Then, the fading came back. Here's what I want to know...

I know the easiest thing to do is paint the car again, but I'm not willing and can not spend that much money right now on something thats not really too important. I need to know if I can somehow get the shine out of the 'cloudy' parts of the car and make it stick around for a little longer than a week or so. I also would like to know what products to use, and what processes I should take. And thanks in advance.

2. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Clay, DACP, Classe AIO...those might do it.

Id wait for Scotts professional oppinion though.

3. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i have kinda the same thing on my car i used vannila moose polish on it with a buffer then vannila moose wax and i hit it with quick detailer now and then and it usaly looks good for about a month its parked outside and driven on gravel

you could also try to get some cutting compound and cut and buff it i guess i also did this and it helped alot also

next step im goin to wet sand it

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You are just going to have to deep polish it with a compound or strong paint cleaner, then use a swirl remover, glaze and wax. You will probably have to use a glaze and wax about once a month on that side until you can repaint.

Product lists have a lot of good products selections.

5. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Why would he have to keep re-glazing and waxing? Is it because it wears away, causing the dull paint to come back?

6. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

so... is it in that exact process? Compound/Paint cleaner, Swirl Remover, glaze AND wax?

I'm intending on buying some S100 sometime this week, and I'll look in the product section for the rest. Also... where's a good place to get all these things? Autozone? Advance Auto Parts? :dunno:

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Shit paint. It just won't hold it's gloss very long. The hood on an old Mazda 626 GT my brother used to have was repainted and it would begin to fade in about 3-4 weeks, no matter how much oxidation I took out of it. The paint would look absolutely pristine for about 3 weeks, then the fading would begin anew. :sad2:

BTW, great sleeper of a car, those turboed 626's. High 15's at about 90 mph...definitely quick for a late 80's sedan.