MIL Scored top 10% or recruiting technique?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sheep561, Dec 21, 2008.

1. sheep561

sheep561 OT Supporter

My mom called me the other day saying she got a letter from the Navy stating I scored in the top 10%. I'm assuming they mean the ASVAB. I don't remember taking the ASVAB, but it's very possible I took it not knowing what it was. They throw so many tests at you in High School that it's hard to keep track. I'm not living with her right now so I haven't got the chance to look at it myself.

Is this a recruiting technique or do they really think I scored in the top 10%? I just turned 18, I'm thinking they might just be trying to recruit me. It would be pretty exciting if I did score in the top 10% because I want to enlist, but I have pending felonies that should be getting dropped so I can't do that at the moment. This score may even help me in court.

Should I start talking to a recruiter even though I have pending felonies? I heard they'll help you in court if you kiss enough ass and they think you're worthy enough. This came from an unreliable source, any truth to this? Also, I have 20/100 probably worse vision. I heard the armed forces will pay to correct your vision with laser eye surgery if you want to become a pilot. I've also heard you need uncorrected vision to become a pilot so I'm kind of confused on this too.

2. Twisted STi

Twisted STi All wheel or no wheel OT Supporter

what felonies?

3. Blackfox

Blackfox Active Member

Umm yea this is probably a recruiting trick. Yea you need to go talk to a recruiter about the felonies you have and depending on what they are you may kiss your security clearance goodbye, which means no pilot. Also the military will pay for lasik or similar surgery but I've never heard of them doing to allow someone into a certain job. Just go talk to the recruiter and get everything sorted out. I'm positive if you tell him about that 10% bullshit he will have no idea what you are talking about, but will probably talk his way through it.

4. sheep561

sheep561 OT Supporter

Grand theft and burglary

The charges have been filed with the State Attorney's Office because the victims wanted to press charges. After coming back from jail, I got a chance to talk to them and now they want to drop the charges and they have requested to do so, but it's up to the state whether they wanna drop them or not. The victim's request is only considered a recommendation. They're very bad at telling you anything, as far as I know the case can already be dropped or I can have a surprise court date at anytime.

At 16, I got charged with possession of paraphernalia (mj). I went through the Youth Court program and now it's a non-conviction on my juvenile record. Do I have to mention this to my recruiter? Also, at 17 I got charged with possession of marijuana (misdemeanor) and possession of paraphernalia (mj). I'm going to court for these charges in 2 days. I got put into the Youth Court program again but because I got charged with the 2 felonies I automatically got kicked out of the YC program. So instead of a non-conviction after completing the program, I have to appear in front of a judge whether I get convicted of the felonies or not. Lets assume the felonies got dropped. Will I have trouble getting in with the misdemeanors? I have a 2.8 GPA which will probably be a 3.0+ by the time I graduate and I'll probably do pretty well on the ASVAB if that means anything.

I fucked my life up before it even started. :wtc:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  5. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

yes you do, tell him the entire story. He is going to find out anyways.

you life isn't completely fucked up, but you are getting there. Clean up your act, talk to the recruiter and he will try to get you a waiver to get in.

6. Blackfox

Blackfox Active Member

^^^yeauup say goodbye to being a pilot. But talk to the recruiter you may still be able to get in.

7. sheep561

sheep561 OT Supporter

I'm gonna see what happens in court on Tuesday then find out if the felonies are still pending. After that, I'll talk to a recruiter and see if he can get me in. Thanks for the help.

8. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

if I was you, I would talk to the recruiter first, it might help with court ;)

9. burn__

burn__ New Member

will still have to disclose any civil involvements.

10. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

A military recruiter can not legally get involved with criminal cases, and risk serious repercussions if they are caught trying to influence a court/probation officer with the promise of the person enlisting, it's not 1970 anymore. With that said, felonies committed while a minor are completely different than those committed while a adult. Not saying that it isn't a hurdle, but it is looked at differently. Drugs charges are considered more severe regardless of when they were committed, and if there is any hint of intent to distribute etc you are screwed.

You have a better chance of hitting the lottery than becoming a pilot with that background.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  11. MadEmperor

MadEmperor meh OT Supporter

I don't doubt you one bit.... however I've heard some stories 1st hand about recruiters going to court with marines and getting them out of some serious shit (think multiple DUI/Assault/Crazy # of traffic violations)

12. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

13. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

sorry man, its true