MMA Scored my First kimura tonight, thanks to the CAGE subforum and BJ Penns Tutorial

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by copeland, Oct 12, 2007.

1. copeland

copeland smarter than you

I know it's probably a menial accomplishment to most, but the kimura is a move I really like, and have practiced on friends and family just standing around.

At my Hapkido dojo, I've been shown standing "figure 4's" (A kimura)

Anyways, I've studied the BJ Penn guide, and remembered the key points. Tonight while grappling with my (more experienced) partner I tried for the "Textbook" kimura from the tutorial...But my partner was wise to it so we continued on, I think I held my ground fairly well being down by 5-10 pounds and lacking the experience.

So as we continued on, we were gasing out I made a couple mistakes that would have cost me the match had my partner had more energy (I let him get his heels into my hips while I was mounted, but was able to hold onto him using his gi's collar...shortly after, I had an oppurtunity whereI was almost side mount, I wasn't really paying attention to the rest of my positioning, but I saw his left (weaker arm) come up by his head. I was able to grab it and force it to the mat as shown in the tutorial, and because he kept his elbow fairly close in to stop me from locking it into a submission, it created a big enough hole for me to slip my other hand under and lock it in...

I was pretty pumped, the session was somewhere in the 11 minute mark, so we were fatigued.

Thought I'd share and say a thanks to the subforum for having the info on hand.

iballthatshitbyyou.jpg

2. yesitisyellow

yesitisyellow New Member

grats, actually performing a move while grappling is quite a feat as it's so different from just practicing it on an opponent or watching it

3. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

did you take his arm home with you as a souvenir?

4. copeland

naw the mantle is getting full with the skulls of my prey...

5. copeland

Yea, it's weird the sensation realizing my opponent tapped out because I was able to slip a submission in. It's alot harder since you have to defend yourself, be aware of where all four appendages of your opponent are, and then see an opportunity you can leverage definitely alot of fun, and alot was learned.

6. Bausk

Bausk New Member

How long have you been grappling? Stuff like that is what really keeps you going some times. Forever, simple armbars were the bane of my ground game. I could never get them. I could get all kinds of more complicated submissions but never armbars. Just drilling and more drilling and now I hit them, and the first tiem I did really was a milestone and a confidence boost.

7. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

I honestly dont think that is uncommon at all. I think the armbar is a more technical move that requires several steps to be preformed fluidly. I cant say I hit more than a few for the first year. People can fall into a triangle or guillotine, but that is not so much the case when it comes to an armbar (especially from bottom).

8. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I hit a triangle in S-mount before I hit my first armbar. :mamoru:

9. copeland

only a few months, I was wearing a single weave one sport gi, quite heavier than I am used to, I'm not sure if it helped or impeded the grappling. I am trying for a Federal Police force in Canada so I liked that it felt cumbersome like I would expect wearing a duty uniform and vest.

But I also agree, I couldn't do an Arm bar yet. Just seems like so much thought to put into a move when your on the ground...maybe one day soon though?