GUN Scopes and reticles

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cannondale, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I'm going to be buying a scope sometime in the near future, and would like everyone's opinion on scopes and reticles. I know little about scopes in the broad scheme of things, what I do know are some of the better and worse brands out there. As far as reticles, all the ones I've ever had were standard cross hairs, no marks or anything fancy. I know each company makes their own ballistic reticle for distance and sometimes wind/movement compensation. I know there are some scopes with Military ballistic dots, but that the calculation used on them works best with scopes that magnify at powers of 10. I've also seen some German #4 reticles, which other than being kinda cool (and if I were scoping a Mauser I'd probably get one because I'm weird), they offer no real benefit over standard cross hairs really.

What does everyone use? I guess this is sort of a two-tier thread: Asking what scopes does everyone else use, and what are your opinions on the dozen or so reticles out there.

2. johnson

johnson New Member

All depends on the gun and what youre going for.

Ill probably pick up a Mueller APV for my CZ 452 Lux. Inexpensive and highly recommended.

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

Hunting or target?

I use 3.5-10X with a Mildot reticle on my target rifle. I think the mildot gives the best ranging capability without cluttering up the sight picture. The BDC reticles are cool in theory, but usually have way too much shit going on and are so-so at best at estimating actual bullet drop.

For a hunting rifle... dunno. Depends on where & what you're hunting. For whitetail in Michigan I'd probably stick with a 1-4x w/ plain jane duplex, or crosshair w/"taget dot" since most shots are pretty close in.

4. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

German #4s and similar reticles can be good for low light and close hunting but it's not something you would want or need. A standard duplex would probably fit you fine.

5. 7

Nikon's BDC in their Omega scopes designed for MZs seems to be a good design but they put the same reticle in higher powered scopes and it's fucking awful.

6. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:werd:

speaking of mueller apv, thats what im getting on my 10/22 :coold:

7. sprite

sprite Active Member

I honestly had no idea they'd put a BDC in a muzzle loader scope :rofl:

8. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Do you need range estimation or not?

Do you need lighted or not?

If you dont need range estimation, then a good basic reticle will do what you need. If you do need range estimation, then there are a number of designs that you'll need to do research on to see what one will work best for you.

I've gotten used to using a mil-dot reticle and like it. There are two types of designs, first focal plane and second focal plane. FFP will actually zoom the reticle when you zoom the scope and therefore the mil dots are always properly sized for range estimation.

SFP will indeed change the calibration of the mil dots based on zoom, however, this is easy to get around. You can either zoom to the proper power when you need to use them, or you can learn what the conversions are for the different zoom powers and use it based on that.

For instance, i've been using the Millett TRS-1 4-16x Tactical scope (which is a great scope for the money btw) and its mil dots are accurate at 10x. In that case each mil is the proper 3.6" at 100 yards, 18" at 500 yards, 36" at 1000 yards.

However, I also know how they change based on power. On that scope each mil is 5" at 6x, 3" at 12x and 2.5" at 16x. So when I need to do range estimation or use the mils for holdover, I use one of those 4 settings that I know the calibration for and adjust accordingly.

Of course all that also means nothing if you do not know the ballistics and drop at different ranges of the load you're shooting or how to adjust for wind.

So mil dot reticles are nice to have if you have the need/want for it, you just need learn to use it.

But if you're going to just sight in and shoot at 100 yards all the time, then it doesnt really matter what you get.

9. 7

it's setup like this

[​IMG]

10. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I will use it for hunting mostly, at ranges out to about 250-300 yards. Central Texas has plenty of hills, so much longer shots are usually not possible. Maybe I'm just getting caught up in the options, since I can usually look at the distance and "figure it out" in my head. The German reticle being useful in less light is nice, since that is when the deer and hogs are out.

I've never looked into Mueller scopes, I guess I will check them out. I've been contemplating between a Leupold VXII and a Nikon Monarch. The Leupold is 3-9x50mm, the Nikon is 2.5-10x50mm. Both are advertised as shockproof, and this is a must with this scope. Out of all the specifications, shockproof is the best guarantee that I won't have too many problems with it staying sighted in. Both are in the $350-$400 range, as are most of the scopes I've looked at.

11. 7

12. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

13. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

That firefly reticle looks baller. :eek3:

It reminds me of the glowing sights on H&K P30s.

14. 7

From what I've read the firefly reticle is a tad on the heavy side

15. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

:hs:

16. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

You'll like it a lot. I really like mine and the price cant be beat. They've gone back up in price, I got one of mine a month ago at Midway for $280 and they want $350 for it now.

Millett CS is great too. I bought one toward the end of last year and it had an issue with smears inside the glass that were only visible when the illumination was really bright in a dark area (basically an unusable situation) and I emailed them. They asked for an address within a day, sent me a totally new scope out FIRST without me asking, and included a shipping tag for UPS to send the old one back with. So in other words, zero down time cause I kept using mine till the new one came and zero shipping and zero hassle or questions. Cant beat that CS. New one is perfect even though the old one never even caused an issue in normal use.

17. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

I was born to use Mil dots.. I love them

18. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

the first question you need to ask is what is your budget, cause that will limit a lot of what you're looking for or what you can get. second would be range, and then onto other features