GUN Scope opinions... Zeiss, Sightron, SS, blah blah blah

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sprite, Mar 21, 2007.

1. sprite

sprite Active Member

I'm shopping for a good scope for my new .308. Mostly shooting 100-250 yards, but hopefully occasionally at 400 & 600 yards. It may eventually be used for hunting, but not anytime in the immediate future.

I'm basically keeping the 10X Super Sniper as my "fallback" option if I can't make up my mind on something else soon. But, I'd ideally like something variable power, and I don't particularly care for the huge "tactical turrets". I do definitely still want finger adjustable turrets at 1/4 MOA or finer adjustments, and a MilDot style reticle.

A MilDot Zeiss Conquest in 3-9X40mm or 3.5-10X44mm is at the extreme upper end of my price range. I don't really hear much about them though. About the only thing I don't like about them is that there is no adjustable objective/parallax adjustment on the models I can afford, but I've also read that parallax adjustment isn't a big deal on 10X max scopes.

The other scope I'm eyeballing :)mamoru: ) is a Sightron SSII 3.5-10X44mm Mildot. That does have side focus, but Sightron is another one I don't hear discussed alot. They seem to get great reviews, and they have a lifetime full replacement warranty (that they actually stand behind from what I've read), but not many people seem to own them.

Anyway, I'd like to hear any opinions or first hand experiences with either of these.

IBjustbuyaSuperSniper

2. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

I've heard zeiss is top notch. SGN mentioned them in a sniping competition article as good stuffs.

3. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I like Bushnell Elites but that's just me

4. reman

reman New Member

how about Schmidt & Bender?

5. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

very good, very pricey

edit: i thought you said how are, not how about :o

and they would be way out of his price range

6. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

yup

7. sprite

sprite Active Member

I've read a lot of good reviews on those... and they're great as long as you want a plex reticle. Otherwise that have like 3 models with mildots, one is a fixed 10X and the other two are like 6-24X or something.

Yeah...S&B, USO, Nightforce, IOR, etc. > *. I'm looking at around $500 max.

8. reman

reman New Member

How about a Nikon Monarch?

9. sprite

sprite Active Member

I was strongly considering those early on but have cooled a little on them after reading some more. I guess the brightness is great but the clarity isn't as good as some others in the price range, they eye relief and alignment are super sensitive, and the turrets can be a little less than precise. I also hear lots of Nikon customer service horror stories, which is also the main reason I'm not really interested in a Burris either.

If I don't go with a Super Sniper 10X then I think I've narrowed the other options down to either a

Sightron SIII 3.5-10x44mm MilDot
    [​IMG]

or

an SII SS 3.5-10x44mm MilDot
    [​IMG]

They are about the nearest match to the features I want in the price range I'm looking at. They're both 3.5-10X44mm w/MilDot reticles with parallax adjustment, 1/4MOA clicks, and 80MOA of internal adjustment. The SIII has a 30mm tube, longer eye relief, better FOV, and longer turrets.

The SIII is about a $100 over budget, but I might be saving some money on the mounting system to make up for it.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007