Scooter Crew? v.buying

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by portajesus, Aug 10, 2007.

1. portajesus

portajesus New Member

I'm moving back to the city (well, right outside) in under a month, and I'm really tired of driving my car.. so I've decided I want to buy a scooter to get me around town. The only problem is.. I don't know what to buy :wtc:

I can get a decent 49cc two stroke scooter, that was used as a rental in Ocean City (only cosmetic damage, i.e. scratches) for $700, or go for a four-stroke, brand new VIP (brand?) 49cc w/a warrenty for $999. Also.. I might be able to talk down a 2007 150cc (I forget the brand name :hs:) to around $1200 roughly.

Now heres my question... most of the roads in the area are 35-45mph.. Would it be worth it to buy a 150cc and get my license/insurance, or just stick with a 49cc and not really worry about the extra speed, and save some money? :noes:

2. Hemorrhoid Rage

Hemorrhoid Rage Those who would give up essential liberty to purch

I would save the money - you can usually do a little upgrading to a 49cc that they don't have to know about.

3. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

Yeah, if you get a 49cc, you'll need to do some kind of upgrade, or you'll be redlining it just to keep up with traffic in the 35 mph zones. I have a 200cc Piaggio scooter (BV200, cost me $5k, but it's great!), and it has enough for me to run in 55 MPH zones easily, but on the interstate, it's the same thing. It maxes out at 70-75 mph, and that's just keeping up with traffic. Don't think it's good on the engine to make long rides with the revs maxed out for a long time (peak power is at 9800 RPM, so probably 10k+ on the interstate). Honestly, for you, I'd say look into the 150, it will keep up with traffic easily, and give you extra power that could come in handy off the line or passing someone. On the 49cc, you don't really have any options. They are fast enough to get you into trouble, but not fast enough to get you out of it. If all you did was 25-35, the 49 would be good, but 45 would really be pushing that little thing to it's limits, and leave you nothing extra that you might need.

4. High Voltage

High Voltage Guest

check with your local laws. i know in michigan to drive anything larger then a 49cc you have to have a motorcycle license. honestly though my little razz does about 32mph and its not that bad for running around town

5. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

Check craigslist. They usually have some, and if you aren't a moron, you can see if it's in good shape, and will last you.

I personally have a 86 honda spree. Little bugger does me fine, and is tough. I've recently found it amusing to jump it off curbs n stuff

6. portajesus

portajesus New Member

MD law allows you to just have a regular drivers license to drive a 49cc and under scooter..already checked into that :wiggle:

I've found one on craigslist, but the asshole hasn't responded :madfawk: It is even the brand I've ridden before, a new TANK 49cc

7. laxxer

laxxer New Member

i can help you a lot i know tons about motorized scooters.

i would reccomend a go ped gsr40tsi + little engine mods, would be about 35 mph and would be reliable. looks like this http://www.tomsracingparts.net/GSR-TSI-web.jpg

also i would reccomend a v6 big-boy scooter. much bigger than the gsr40tsi. around 50cc (dont no much about non goped brand scooters) looks like this
    http://www.sd-electric-scooters.com/scooter pics/bigboy/V6-Chrome-28.jpg

if you check craigslist/ebay you can get a good deal. if you join the forum www.gopednation.com you will be able to view the classifieds after 1 month and will be able to get a great deal on a scooter and you will have an endless amount of information on what your buying.

8. portajesus

portajesus New Member

There is a spree for sale for $350 near me :hsugh: