Scoliosis

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Falconer, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

When I was in middle school we had the nurses or someone check our posture. They told me I "might" have Scoliosis.

I just realized the other day that I might still have it. Is there a fix for this that doesn't involve doctors, chiros, or spending money?

And this might possibly be related to why my right lat is bigger than my left.

2. Anabolic Pop-Tarts

Anabolic Pop-Tarts New Member

3. arpz

arpz New Member

Got'em

4. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

5. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

what makes you think you have it?

Go see a physical therapist for a single session for diagnosis and reccomendation for exercises/treatment to try and decrease the symptoms... I don't think it's very reversable though dude.

6. Anabolic Pop-Tarts

Anabolic Pop-Tarts New Member

:h5:

7. 94civicEX

94civicEX New Member

8. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

A guy at the gym asked why one of my shoulders was higher than the other.

Then I looked at my back in a mirror and my spine isn't exactly straight when viewed from the rear.

And my right lat is bigger than my left.

Hmm... I'll try that.

9. mely

mely New Member

It's something you're born with so if you have it, you have it. I do, but it's not severe, found out last year. People have different levels of it, if it's severe surgery might be needed, but if it isn't, like mine, just do back exercises to strengthen it. It doesn't just go away, but it can get less annoying through exercise. But yeah, go to your doctor's, they should be able to do a scan and tell you if you have it and at what level it is.

10. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

if you're left handed, the right side of your body thends to be a bit more dominant as far as the lats are concerned

scoliosis is pretty irreversable, especially at your age. they only do surgery if you're young and if it's extreme, but if you have a slight curve, it's not that uncommon. You just have to strenghten your back muscles to help stabilize

11. Skirecs

Skirecs New Member

I have like 6 degrees or something.

I was checked when I was like 15, went to the back surgeon, and he said

you'll be fine, people expect spines to line up with a straight edge but thats impossible

apparently 6 degrees isn't much?

12. 6 degrees? that's nothing. My thoracic spine(rib cage level) has a 37 degree curve, and my lumbar spine(abdominal area) has a 52 degree curve. I'm considered borderline for surgery.

My upper body gets fairly stiff from time to time i can crack my back in more ways than you can imagine now, but pain-wise, there's nothing there. However, I do throw my lower back out of whack if I do anything that puts a lot of downward pressure on my spine (squats, deads) Visually, you can't really tell that I have scoliosis, although if you look carefully its evident. One shoulder sits slightly higher than the other if i'm not conscious of it. Also, I'm slightly less developed muscle wise in my left side than my right. Its hardly noticeable though

As for correcting it, if you're 13 or older, the only route is surgery, which involved them putting rods along your spine and a 1 to 2 year full recovery time. Luckily you don't have anything to worry about

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.