SRS Scizophrenia info?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by FredricaBimmel, Jun 23, 2007.

1. FredricaBimmel

FredricaBimmel Great big fat person

I'm trying to educate myself on schizophrenia and I'd like to find somewhere where I can actually communicate with someone that suffers from or knows someone that does.

Do any of you know where I can do this? Do you know anyone on the forums that knows anything about it? I've read a lot on the internet and in books but I'm still looking for first hand info.

2. Takitome

Takitome New Member

As I understand schizophrenia is alot more rare then people will have you believe. I think there's only few cases around the world of people who are afflicted by it.

I doubt you would find a patient with the sympton to talk to yourself if that's what you are asking. But I'm sure many doctors who's treated patients like that have wrote many books about their "first hand experience"

That's about all I know

3. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I used to think that I had it, but it's so true that if you think you're schizo, you probably aren't.

4. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

If by a few cases you mean somewhere around 50 million worldwide, then you would be correct. This is of course not including the schizoid and schizotypal personality disorders, which can look like schizophrenia but are not diagnosed as traditional schizophrenia.

It's one of the most common psychotic disorders, but good luck finding someone to talk to. Even if you do, you probably won't get much information from them apart from observing their characteristics and behaviors. The most common form of schizophrenia, the disorganized subtype, are well known for the symptom of schizophasia (aka word salad), which is very disorganized, loosely associated speech that ends up making absolutely no sense at all.

The best way to get some first hand information would be volunteering/working at a psych hospital in your area. Apart from that you won't see much of them in public, outside of the homeless.