MMA Scissor 1/2 Guard Help (v. Tameem/Tony)

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Hillary, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

I get caught a lot in the half guard when a guy brings a knee in front of my chest. I try pulling the knee down and dropping my hips...but usually don't get far. If I can, I switch my base to face the legs and get around that knee but still get caught up.

Better strategies?

[​IMG]

2. Joris

Joris OT Supporter

I get caught in this position sometimes too. One small detail that helps me pass to side is to pull up on the bottom leg. So if you were in the position that the guy in the pic is in, use your right shoulder/chest to push down on the left leg while sprawling your own legs. Then, use your left hand to cup around your opponent's lower outside thigh/knee area. So you're still doing a technique similar to the one you're talking about, but instead of just putting weight on the top leg, you're also squeezing the bottom leg in. This way, their legs are sort of pinched together.

I find this just helps more when you're passing on that side because your opponent, now, can't move either leg as much. By pulling the bottom leg you're also stopping that leg from blocking your hips as you come around.

Hope that helps.

3. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

[y]NotJ3PHWgWU[/y]

start watching at the 1:34 mark. if they cross their feet from that kind of guard, you first need to sprawl your leg to break their feet apart, and then circle your shin out. Then you perform the same pass.

4. chechen

by the way those are two of my former team mates in the first pic :)

5. chechen

i REALLY hate explaining jiu jitsu in text.. but im going to try here.

look at 1:50 on the FIRST video

sometimes you arent strong enough to flatten the guy out with your head.. and he hip escapes, but the more he hip escapes, the more his legs cross one over another because you are lacing his legs with your arm. look at 1:50 in the video and you can see what im talking about.

If you cannot flatten the guy out.. then you can simply step over and put your knee between his crossed legs. At this point, you can drop your body down to trap his legs in that messed up position. And pass the other way, or mount.

[y]OA7N3WmbP4c[/y]

you will end up with your knee in between like leo is doing in this video. and then you can pass the same way. it's just a different entrance to the same pass.

6. chechen

i hope that is helpful. thats a really hard position to pass by the way. takes a ton of practice

7. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

Thanks my little dooky belt muslim muffin. :love:

8. miek

miek New Member

:ugh:

:rofl:

9. Exiled

Exiled New Member

few submissions and passes and escapes from there you could do.. few things you could bait them with

hard to explain and it's thanksgiving and I have to be to my moms in a half hour.. passing wise I typically do the one at :45 in to this HL I made

I also tell people if they are putting their hips like that to be ready to go inverted the second you are locked in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39PCgenNnFM&feature=related

10. chechen

crowbar thats pretty cool. thats like the first video i posted... but you push one way and then jump around the other. :cool:

11. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

:rofl: I love how you title it to exclude us BJJ noobs who arent purples or above :wtc:

Ill give you my $.02 anyways. I play this a lot and so do people I train with, and I asked recently at a seminar about how to be more efficient at dealing with it when it is applied to me.

Basically I was told, worry about the bottom leg, and not the top. You can stick your hand in there and pin the bottom leg and attempt to step around as the video that Bit posted shows. Or pin the bottom leg and sprawl / bring your knee over as chechen said. For me its really an annoying position against people who are good at it, I feel very stuck sometimes and will try to just back out. But again, I really know nothing.

12. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

controlling the sleeve while pinning the bottom leg. I pass it easy like that but maybe the people i'm going against aren't very good at it