Scion tC performance mod questions v. I'm a f'cking noob.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by carpe daimonion, Oct 5, 2006.

1. carpe daimonion

carpe daimonion I hand out humility checks.

I'm having a hard time finding resources about *ACTUAL* Scion tC performance upgrades. I'm a newb, but I know what most performance parts do. But can I just grab any ol Turbonetics turbo kit and slap it in? What about headers and such? Are certain performance upgrades universal on imports/toyota/etc?

Most of the Scion upgrades are TRD, and.. well.. they've been laughed at for the cost vs. gain. Most of it's just me not knowing what the fuck will "fit", or where I can fucking go to get any of it installed.

And thanks. ^_^

2. ///M

///M New Member

www.scionlife.com <a bunch of ricers but good info, it's the biggest forum for the car.

i have a tc as well, and if you have the money to go FI, you can run a modest 11psi and make like 325whp, and say 340ft lbs of torque, which is more than plenty for a fwd car.

with a few NA upgrades, you can gain a few hp (165-170whp under ideal conditions vs a stock 140-144), but what the car needs the most is suspension upgrades, and for the price, the trd spring/shock setup paired with a hotchkis rear sway is an awesome deal, and will make it handle a lot better.

www.trdsparks.com has a lot of the dealer upgrades and some aftermarket stuff at lower prices than msrp.

another thing about the tc is that it weighs nearly 3000lbs. if you take out the back seat and all the sound deadening from the back of the car you can get it down to 2650 lbs, which makes the car drive differently (better) in every way.

oh, and get some good tires too.

3. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

turbo is completely outta the question if youre asking these kinds of questions. seriously. its not anything like a bolton, plug and play mod

4. shiba

shiba Active Member

yeah there's a ton of other mods that go along side a turbo (ie, oil pan, fuel pump, tuning. etc.) You run the chance of blowing your engine if you don't know whats going on in there.

5. carpe daimonion

I'm familiar with the parts, it's the compatability that i'm not.

Anyways.

6. SnugNuts

SnugNuts New Member

just get the entire kit and thats all u need, go to siconlife.com look at the sponsered sales and just look for the turbos there u can find all u need for a cheap price

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Turbos are hellishly hard to install on a car that isn't built for one if you're not an expert. They create more backpressure in the exhaust header, they absorb a hell of a lot more heat from the exhaust than a straight pipe would, and there's a bunch of air-pressure-control hardware that needs to be added to the engine so the turbo won't kill anything (including itself) the first time you gun the engine and then let off the throttle really fast.

Get the Scion tC supercharger instead. I don't like superchargers as a rule, but the centrifugal kind can make a good amount of boost and it's not nearly as hard to install. Hell, the tC comes with a supercharger option from the factory.

8. deusexaethera

Any full-turbo-conversion kit that doesn't cost at least $2000 is going to break. A good turbo by itself costs close to $1000, if not more.

Before you tell me I'm full of shit, I own a car with a turbocharger. I know how much the parts cost.

9. ///M

///M New Member

yeah, but people are having mad problems with the TRD blower, seals in the compressor blowing. TRD is having to replace a bunch of compressors.

10. ///M

///M New Member

all the tc kits are like 3800+, the dezod one can get close to 500 with a plug and play emanage harness and stuff, but they make good stuff and their service pwns. still a big chunk of money though.

11. ///M

///M New Member

nonetheless, with any aftermarket turbocharged car you have to know what you're doing and have to constantly check things to keep it running right.

12. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

:ugh:

13. deusexaethera

Go look up the price of a KKK K04 turbo, smart guy. And the K04 is just an "OEM plus" turbo, at that. The 25PSI turbos that you can buy are ridiculously expensive.

14. SporkLover

SporkLover New Member

you sure about those numbers? 350lbs just from a back seat and sound deadening material? Thats roughly how much my LS1 weighs without a tranny.

15. deusexaethera

You know, you could leave the backseat and the sound deadening in the car, and you could put on a set of 7.5"-8" wide wheels and stiffer swaybars, and you could have your good handling, good grip, and quiet ride all at once. I know in my Passat, the Neuspeed bolt-on rear swaybar kit (it attaches to a hollow beam that connects the two rear wheels) made a huge difference.

The tradeoff for having wider tires is that the car will make a little more noise in corners and the gas mileage will drop a little bit, maybe 1-2mpg. But, if you're going to build your car for performance instead of economy, then changing the set of tradeoffs you have to put up with is all you can really do anyway.

16. ///M

///M New Member

yeah, the 60% portion of the 60/40 backseat weighs something like 55lbs, the other like 35 (full of metal and springs), the seat bottom is about 20, then in the back (trunk area), theres these compartments under the floor, all the tools, jack, etc, back panels, and chipping all the dense sound deadening out of the back of the car (the tc has the most sound deadening material of any toyota/scion product ever made, aside from the lexus line, go look it up if you dont believe me), the engine cover (4lbs) and other pointless trim that is just there for aesthetics.

i think the total weight savings is more around 250 without taking the passengers seat out (they are rather heavy).

17. ///M

///M New Member

edit: by nearly 3000lbs, i meant 2920

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. carpe daimonion

Actually, it's not from the factory. And it doesn't go into your payment plan. If you get a super on your tC, you have to pay for it straight up, and it's a 4000 unit for a 30hp gain. Sorry.. I just can't bring myself to do it.

But thanks for all the feedback. I've become a little more familiar with whats out there now.

19. deusexaethera

Keep in mind two things:

1. You're also paying for other modifications needed to keep the engine from exploding when the supercharger tries to do things it doesn't expect, like shove a few pounds of air through a closed throttle, for example.

2. You can always increase the boost from the supercharger by making its pulley smaller. The serpentine belt tensioner will take up the slack. Or, you can find whatever is limiting the maximum pressure and tweak it.

20. ///M

///M New Member

:werd: but ANY modifications at all to the dealer installed setup simply voids the SC warranty as a whole. on the end of the compressor shaft, on the pulley, they put this tamper proof cap that voids your warranty on the SC unit when taken off to put another pulley on or whatever.

21. 1.8

1.8 Guest

Forget about the motor for now, what you need to do is fix the stock suspension. It's not good.

22. SnugNuts

SnugNuts New Member

yeah i got tien s-tech spring and the suspension is so much better now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    shitty camera phone

23. nester

nester New Member

turbo for the win. :)

24. carpe daimonion

Speaking of suspension, is there anything I should keep in mind when dealing with a three thousand pound car? I definately want to get brakes and suspension. I drive it hard as it is and would like nothing more to be a little better around turns. But I live in Houston and our road conditions right now make me want to put a brick through fuckers windows. >=|

25. ///M

///M New Member

as far as modifications go, it's like any other fwd compact car pretty much.

to make a big difference i'd suggest either the progress 22mm rear sway bar (and use your stock front sway), or the hotchkis front and rear sway bars (but you have to drop the front subframe to install it). then i'd get some new tires, and if you wanted to spend a little more, some shocks and springs. the difference is day/night from stock