Sci-Fi TV Series overviews #9: Lexx

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Joe_Cool, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

[​IMG]

The Time
    4,000 years ago.

The Place
    The Universe of Light, one of two known Universes that exist side-by-side in parallel.

The Races

Humans
    Unlike most scifi series, the two universes are populated almost entirely by humans. There are very few weird looking alien races.

The Insect Civilization
    The Insects attempted to take over the universe thousands of years ago, but were defeated under the leadership of the Brunnen-G.

The Divine Order
    The current government. Took power after the defeat of the Insect Civilization, but turned out to be just as brutal and oppressive as the Insects were. Fully in control of the League of 20,000 planets, and its seat of power is the Cluster. The only goal of the Divine Order is to increase its power and rule the entire universe. The punishment for all crimes is forfeiture of organs or even your entire body (depending on the severity of your crime) to the flesh bank.

The Brunnen-G
    A noble and ancient human civilization located in the Universe of Darkness, whose people led the fight against the Insects. Thousands of years later, They sacrificed themselves to save humanity from the Insect onslaught. Their warriors sacrificed themselves in a desperate, futile attack against the Mega-Shadow - His Divine Shadow's personal battle cruiser - when it came to wipe out the Brunnen-G.

The Characters

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The Lexx
    The Lexx is a living ship, constructed from the remnants of the Great Insect Civilization. It is the most powerful destructive force in the two universes; a tool intended to project His Shadow's power throughout the universe, and unify every civilization under his rule. It has the power to destroy entire planets, reducing them to floating chunks of debris, which the Lexx then consumes for food. It provides living quarters, shower facilities, and organically produced food for its crew and guests, transporting them in relative comfort (relative to the vacuum of space) from place to place, destroying and eating planets along the way.

[​IMG]
    His Divine Shadow
    The ruler of the League of 20,000 Planets, and head of the Divine Order. His Divine Shadow is an immortal being who passes his essence from one host to the next in order to maintain eternal rule. He takes advice from the preserved brains of his Divine Predecessors.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Zev Bellringer
    A product of the Wife Bank on B3K, who was convicted of embarrassing her husband in public, and subsequently sentenced to be transformed into a Love Slave. Due to an accident, she received only the physical part of the transformation.

[​IMG]
    A robot head. He received the mental part of the love slave transformation, and thus fell hopelessly in love with the first person he saw: Xev. His head was severed from his body in the accident.

[​IMG]
    Security Guard First Class Stanley Tweedle
    An idiot bureaucrat who, through a series of improbable events, absorbs the key to the Lexx, and becomes its Captain. He, like nearly everyone else, is in love with Zev, but is the one person in the two Universes she is determined NOT to have sex with.

[​IMG]
    Kai
    Last of the Brunnen-G. He died in the final, suicidal fight against His Shadow. In a display of cruelty, His Shadow had Kai's body preserved and reanimated as a mindless, undead assassin. In order to stay "alive", his body and its machinery require "proto blood", which can only be found on the Cluster.

[​IMG]
    Mantrid
    His Shadow's bio-wizier. One of the most brilliant men in the Universe, who keeps himself alive through a series of transplants and implants, and develops aspirations of his own, after being exiled by His Shadow and transfering his consciousness into a machine.

The Story
    "I am the Lexx. I am the most powerful weapon of destruction in the two universes. I was grown on "The Cluster" which is ruled by "His Shadow". The food was good there.

My Captain is Stanley Tweedle. I blow up planets for him. Stanley used to be a security guard class four on the Cluster until he became a fugitive. He is my captain now because he got my key from heretics who wanted to steal me, but he was the one who took me away.

Stan was helped by Zev of B3K. She was made into a love slave as punishment for failing to perform her wifely duties but things went wrong. Now she is part Cluster lizard so sometimes she is not a nice lady.

A robot head, 790, got part of the love slave transformation that was meant for her. He is in my crew too.

Because she is a love slave, Zev likes men, except for Stanley Tweedle.

The only other man on board is Kai, last of the Brunnen G, but he's dead so he can't make Zev happy.

Two thousand years ago, Kai's planet was destroyed by his shadow and all of his people were killed. They kept Kai's body and used him as an assassin but he got his memory back from a Divine Predecessor and then he became part of my crew. The Time Prophet said that Kai would destroy His Shadow's Order but that will be hard because his protoblood is running out and he must stay inside a very cold box.

My crew are afraid of his shadow, the ruler of the Light Universe. His shadow wants me back and he wants his divine predecessors back too but he especially wants Kai destroyed because he is afraid of the prophecy.

Zev and Kai and Stan don't want that. They took me beyond His Shadow's reach through a fractal core to the Dark Zone, the universe of evil and chaos. And now we're looking for a new home."

Overall, one of my favorite tv shows ever, and in my top 5 favorite science fiction series. It's campy and cheesy (intentionally), full of sexual innuendo and the basest instincts of humanity, but still manages to handle deep themes like love, good and evil, life and death, right and wrong, freedom and oppression, heaven and hell, even capital punishment, in spectacular fashion. Features mass destruction. You'll see people, ships, planets, and even a universe utterly destroyed. I recommend it highly.

2. mechagrover

mechagrover Trek geek OT Supporter

Awesome freakin show :bowdown:

3. sploosh

sploosh OT Supporter

Sounds interesting. I'll have to check this out.

4. Joe_Cool

:werd: It's really good.

5. b_sinning

b_sinning New Member

How did they explain Zev changing actresses.

6. Joe_Cool

She gets killed on some planet, and Lyekka reconstitutes her body as a favor to Stan and Kai. It comes out different.

7. b_sinning

b_sinning New Member

They both were pretty hot.

8. Joe_Cool

:werd: But I thought Xev (the redhead) was hotter.

9. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

I watched the first episode last night. In all seriousness it was better than what it looked like on the commercials on 'Space' (SciFi channel in Canada).

10. lowfat

Finished episode 2 tonight. I must say this is my-kinda-funny. I have a very odd sense of humour and this suits it perfectly. Although the idea of two talking stars was kinda cheezy.

11. Joe_Cool

Oh yeah, is that the one with Giggerotta, Tim Curry, and Kai's home planet?

I loved the Time Prophet thing, where the guy goes to get his fortune told, and she yells a message to Stan. :rofl:

Rutger Hauer is in the next one. :mamoru:

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I dunno, I caught a few episodes of Lexx back in the day, and I felt stupider after watching it. Kinda the same as Andromeda.

I guess I'm just a high-fantasy kinda guy.

13. Joe_Cool

If you just see random episodes it looks just silly. If you watch it in order, there's actually a strong story and some great chemistry among the characters.

14. mr jenzie

mr jenzie New Member

big fan of it when it came on, loved the mini series, and watched all but the last series of it .....

wouldn't mind seeing it again

15. Joe_Cool

So you missed the ending? It was very cool.

16. deusexaethera

Then they shouldn't have shown it in an episodic format. I can watch Episode n of any Star Trek series, and provided I know the basics context of the show, I can enjoy the episode. I don't need to see the previous one or the next one for it to make sense.

That's my same complaint about Battlestar Galactica, btw. It's a TV show, dammit, not a feature film. They can't reasonably assume that I will always have the time, interest, and motivation to sit in front of the glass tit for an hour just to keep up with the storyline. If I want to do that, that's fine, but it should be optional. The long-term plot arcs should be secondary to the plot of the episode itself.

17. Joe_Cool

You know, it's possible to have episodes that fit into a larger story. Every episode doesn't have to end with "To Be Continued..." to be part of a story.

18. deusexaethera

Yes, it is possible, and that's what they should have aimed for. Firefly did it well. But if the episodes are nonsensical and silly when not watched in the proper order, then they didn't really accomplish that with Lexx.

19. Joe_Cool

That's what they succeeded at.

:uh:

So I guess Babylon 5 must be the biggest piece of crap ever. After all, it makes no sense at all if you don't watch it in order.

20. lowfat

Zev just died

21. Joe_Cool

Kai is a badass, right? :bowdown:

22. lowfat

Don't know if i enjoy this show all that much :dunno: It is funny on occasion but the rest is kinda boring.

And old Zev > new Zev.

23. Joe_Cool

You're just about to start the 1st big story arc. All of season 2 is them vs. Mantrid.

24. lowfat

Well it has gotten a little more enjoyable. Just finished the episode where they changed sexes :mamoru:

25. lowfat

Well the new Xev isn't all that bad. I think it is mainly her chest that has let me to accept her :naughty: