Sci-Fi TV Series overviews #6: Battlestar Galactica

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Tomash, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

[​IMG]

(The following text contains spoilers from the miniseries, or pilot, of the show)
    40 years ago a long and bloody war between the 12 colonies of humans, and Cylons, a cybernetic race meant to serve as free labor which rebelled against its former masters and creators, ended with an armistice. Since then, the Colonies flourished, and nothing was known of the Cylons, until, through deceit and subterfuge, they managed to overcome the colonial defences and launch a surprise nuclear attack on both military and civilian targets, wiping out virtually the entire fleet, and instantaneously eradicating nearly the entire human race.
    Thanks to its archaic technology, created during the original war and resilient to Cylon infiltration, one lone military vessel remained - the titular Battlestar Galactica. Its commander, realizing the extent of the assault did the one thing he could to ensure survival of not only his crew but of the human race itself - he gathered up all ships capable of outrunning the enemy, and took off in search of a new home. In the end, the human population of billions was reduced to mere 50,000.
    With the survival of the humankind as a goal, Adama and his fleet faces obstacles such as lack of supplies, attacks of the Cylon fleet following the survivors, and constant threat from the inside - one of the things Cylons perfected in the 40 years of absence was the art of mimicking humans - they are practically indistinguishable from actual flesh and blood people, because, in reality, the human-form Cylons, or skinjobs, are made of flesh and blood.

Here ends the pilot, and begins season 1 of the actual show, which, while being a science fiction series at heart, doesn't really follow the conventional pattern of a science fiction show. Yes, there are space ships, and yes, there are space battles, but the show focuses on relations, and conflicts, between characters as much, if not more than on the sci-fi aspects.

Speaking of characters, here's a rundown of the most important people:
    Cmdr. William Adama - Commander of the Galactica, a veteran of the first Cylon War. A stern, yet somewhat fatherly figure to people in his command.
    President Laura Roslin - A lower-tier government minister who, after the decimation of the government, is forced to take over the reigns as the president. Her diametrically opposing agendas to that of Adama are a frequent cause of friction between her and her military counterpart.
    Dr. Gaius Baltar - a brilliant scientist who, unknowingly, allowed the Cylons to gain control of the defense network. The man is torn between the loyalty to his race, and fear of being outed as a traitor.
    Cpt. Kara 'Starbuck' Thrace - An ace pilot, but also a troublemaker.
    Cpt. Lee 'Apollo' Adama - Adama's son, a fighter pilot, and a commander of Galactica's Combat Air Group. Lets just say both he and Starbuck, and he and his father have unresolved issues.
    Lt. Sharon 'Boomer' Valerii - A rookie pilot, who's unaware of her true Cylon identity. She is torn between the allegiance to her peers, and the Cylon programming and nature.
    Number Six - a really fucking hot Cylon who manipulated Baltar into giving her access to the colonial defense network. Baltar and her form a 'special' relationship.

Now that we've covered who, lets take care of where and when.
    I've already mentioned the 12 colonies. They get nuked, people die, story ends. Not so much. I also mentioned Adama gathering every able ship he could find, and the survivors, and making a run for it. Well, that's where most of the story takes place - aboard the Galactica, aboard Colonial One (where the President of the Colonies resides), and several other civilian ships that make up the bulk of the fleet.
    As for when, that's a tough one, as the only information we're given is that the story take place 40 years after the revisited events from the original Battlestar Galactica series from 30 years ago.

The highlights of this show are plentiful. Acting for the most part is really good, the actors have been chosen equally well, and they fit their roles perfectly. Writing is also good, be it in the action sequences on the character development episodes. Yes, there are filler episode, but they're few and far-between, and honestly, what show doesn't have those? Special effects, as can be expected, are top-notch. I mean it. Some of the action sequences, like the battle on the asteroid in season 1, the Resurrection Ship attack in season 2, or the liberation of New Caprica in season 3 are some of the coolest, and best-looking moments in televisions history.
    Also, what sets this show aside from other sci-fi shows, is the reserved approach to technology. Gone are the days of hyperspanners, Warp drives, shields, or lasers. Yeah, there is faster-than-light travel (courtesy of FTL drives) because, lets face it, the scenery would get boring real quick. That, and artificial gravity are pretty much where what we consider science fiction technology ends. The guns shoot lead. The ships defense consists of armor plating. Its offensive armament of guns, missiles, and nuclear weapons. Fighters use thrusters not antigravity engines. And, which is a rarity, the ships in accordance to Newtonian physics, which looks simply fucking awesome. Seeing thruster nozzles spew gas while the fighter itself is raining lead into an oncoming group of enemy fighters is a sight to behold, I shit you not.
    You may have noticed by now that I don't really have anything negative to say about this show. Well, I pretty much don't. It's definitely not perfect, but as far as science fiction TV series are concerned, this one is the closest to perfection. And I'd know - I've watched nearly every sci-fi show worth watching.
    Hell, if after reading all that you're still not convinced to at least give the show a shot, then you minus well go fuck yourself.

Battlestar Galactica - a space-borne equivalent of a mixture of an aircraft carrier and a battleship. Capable to stand toe to toe against any ship of the line, and also able to provide its own air cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Viper Mk II - A fighter from the Cylon war-era, build with Cylons in mind, thus it invulnerable to Cylon electronic infiltration. Newer version, the Mark VII, designed long after the first Cylon War ended, when the Cylon thread was considered non-existent, was obviously highly vulnerable to Cylon infiltration, which render them nothing more than stationary targets.

[​IMG]

Raptor - a multi-purpose ship used for transport, reconnaissance, and search and rescue. Equipped with defensive armament only.

[​IMG]

Colonial One - Where the President of the Colonies lives, and from where the President of the Colonies rules.

[​IMG]

Cylon Basestar - Cylon equivalent of Galactica, thought not nearly as tough. Equipped with hundreds of Raiders whereas Galactica only has a few squadrons of Vipers.

[​IMG]

Cylon Raider - A completely autonomous (as in on-board AI-controlled) Cylon fighter.

[​IMG]

2. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

LOL. Fail.

3. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

:mamoru:

4. Joe_Cool

The new base ships look cooler and scarier than the originals.

5. Ark

Ark New Member

When is the season three box set coming out?

6. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

Everything is better about the new show. Everything.

7. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

I've heard October.

8. DreadJockey

DreadJockey New Member

I am looking forward to the movies this fall

9. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

Everything about the show is cooler than the original.

10. Hiero

Hiero New Member

Can Baltar and Six's relationship be explained a little bit more? I did not watch the miniseries but watched the first season and part of the second season and do not know why Six keeps appearing to Baltar.

11. baboymo

baboymo Have you been circumcised?

My Halloween costume just came in.

[​IMG]

12. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

:hsugh:/:rofl:

13. baboymo

baboymo Have you been circumcised?

I only spent $8 on it. :mamoru:

14. Rory

Rory OT Supporter

holy fuck this show is good, just watched all 3 seasons :run:

15. lowfat

:h5:

16. Karnejj

Karnejj “A true conservative is one who can't see any diff OT Supporter

Dammit. I'm agreeing with Rory ....

:crying:

17. Girder_Shade

Girder_Shade OT Supporter

This show is amazing, one of the best I've ever seen if not the best. :bowdown:

18. Joe_Cool

Maybe I'll give it another chance and finish watching season 3. :o

19. Girder_Shade

I wish Season 4 would come already it seems like I've been waiting forever and I only finished watching season 3 a few weeks ago. :o

20. Girder_Shade

I liked it alot even though it was pretty slow but it still brought the story forward. :wavey:

21. Joe_Cool

I just now noticed this:

:bowrofl:

22. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

:o

23. lowfat

you haven't even finished BSG :eek4:

24. Joe_Cool

Season 3 really turned me off. Bored me nearly to tears. :hs:

I'm considering giving it another chance.

25. lowfat

anyone know when S4 starts up?