Sci-Fi TV Series overviews #4: Star Trek: Voyager

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by ManyHamsters, Jul 3, 2007.

1. ManyHamsters

ManyHamsters There are necessary pursuits... but poetry, beauty

[​IMG]

Plot:

The year is 2371.
    The Federation starship Voyager, chasing down terrorists (the Maquis, hinted at in ST: E, and DS9), gets transported by a powerful alien being to the other side of the Galaxy, the Delta Quadrant, far away from any Federation space, known fuel or food supplies. Their main goal is survival and eventually returning home (Earth), a journey which will take 75 years at Voyager's top warp speed.

Why Should I Watch It?:

The constant struggle of survival in a strange place, bringing order to chaos, and finding hope amidst hopelessness, family among strangers... the dichotomies go on. :)
    Uses "realistic" future technology and science.
    The engrossing plotlines and character development.
    Universal themes being constantly challenged and expanded.
    Social commentary incisively relevant to the human condition.
    This show will force you look at the universe in shades of grey.
    Visually stunning fight scenes and combat strategies (lazers pew pew).
    The Borg!
    You will fall in love with all of the characters despite, or perhaps because of, their flaws.
    If you are an idealist and/or a free-thinker, this is the Sci-Fi show for you. It is less about the operation of the Federation, and more about the ideals of the Federation (and transitively, humanity), and why they are worth upholding.

Main Characters:

Kathryn Janeway - Captain
    ??? - First Officer
    ??? - Chief of Security
    ??? - Helmsman
    ??? - Chief Engineer
    Harry Kim - Chief Operations Officer
    ??? - Chief Medical Officer
    ??? - ???
    ??? - ???
    ??? - ???

(??? - Denotes that it would be a spoiler to reveal this, see how intricate the plot is already? And you haven't even watched the first episode. :p)

Main Antagonists:

The Borg
    [​IMG]

The Vidiians
    [​IMG]

The Kazon
    [​IMG]

The Hirogen
    [​IMG]

Species 8472
    [​IMG]

Here's a link to get you started on hopefully your new favourite Sci-Fi series!:

http://www.tv-links.co.uk/show.do/1/1540

Have fun!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  2. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

3. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

I would love to watch this show from start to finish, i just can do it. Star Trek seasons are just to damned long. But from the 90% or so of Voyager i've seen, it is awesome. All the Borg and 8472 make it so.

4. Cam

Cam New Member

Worst series of them all :hs:

5. lowfat

IMO DS9 is :hs: then next gen :hs:

6. Joe_Cool

Worst? I thought DS9 was by far the best. It's the only one that has an actual story.

7. lowfat

Both Voyager and Enterprise have a storyline also. Just each season has a different storyline generally.

8. CallSecurityNow

CallSecurityNow OT Supporter

I downloaded all the Voyager episodes and watched all of them in about two weeks. I was seriously pissed off on how they ended the series, so much that I will never watch Voyager again.

9. Barky

Barky woof

i thought voyager had some flat characters. One of the few episodes I've suffered through had a horrible looking computer generated alien in it... the show seemed to be based on mostly combat. Plus, I hated the captian. I absolutly love Start Trek: TNG but I can't seem to watch any of the others in the series

10. Joe_Cool

I actually can't watch TNG anymore, ever since I watched DS9. The difference in quality is just immense.

11. Barky

Barky woof

I felt DS9 had flat characters as well... I don't know, I think the characters in TNG are the most diverse, well defined, and interesting characters of the series

12. Joe_Cool

TNG has by far the worst writing and acting of any star trek show. It's BAD.

13. lowfat

:bowdown::rofl: Finally somone who sees the light! The majority of the movies were entertaining, but the series seemed dull and unpolished.

14. lowfat

I didn't think it was that bad :dunno:

15. Joe_Cool

I used to be one of the unwashed masses. I loved TNG until I watched DS9 and saw how good ST could really be.

I still need to see Voyager (I'm going to give it another chance) and Enterprise. :o

16. lowfat

Enterprise is definitely more entertaining than Voyager, as long as you don't mind it messing with the whole ST time line.

Archer > * for ST capatins because he has no prime directive to follow :bowdown:

17. dead weight

dead weight New Member

voyager is great because of 7of 9's boobs
    [​IMG]

18. Joe_Cool

Kirk > Archer because he HAD a prime directive to follow, and just ignored it. :bowdown:

And Sisko > Archer because his station singlehandedly defeated the Klingon armada. :bowdown: :bowdown:

19. lowfat

Archer tortured people :bowdown:. Threw them in an airlock and started draining the air out.

20. ANUS_MANGLER

ANUS_MANGLER New Member

i love voyager. the size of the ship, the fresh storyline, uncharted territory, 7 of 9:hsugh:

:bowdown:

21. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

i think t'pol was way hotter, but i'd beat 7 of 9's shit like it owed me money.

i like voyager. a lot of people seemed to be pissed about janeway always violating the prime directive, but she had to do what was necessary to ensure her crews survival. mad props to her. what what.

22. Cam

Cam New Member

I've been watching Voyager on Spike lately. There are a lot of episodes that I missed, in seasons 6 and 7. I just gave up on the show back then.

Well it's not as bad as I remember it, but it's still the worst series of them all. Someone mentioned how flat the characters were, and that pretty much sums it all up. Janeway was a joke of a captain, probably more fit to be ship's counselor. Chakotay was underdeveloped and was probably the least interesting character at the end of the show's run. I liked Tuvok, but he didn't get enough airtime. Neelix was weird. Period. Crafty smuggler or ship's morale officer? Those two don't quite go hand in hand. The doctor was probably the best character on the show, but his whole quest to become more human got old and wasn't nearly as interesting as Data's on TNG. Torres was another decent character, but her Human vs Klingon hormones battle got old. Kim the invincible ensign... give me a break. Either promote him or quit displaying his youthfulness. No development in 7 years. Tom Paris was probably my favorite character. He was believable. 7 of 9.. I didn't hate her at all. Just thought that she should have developed more emotions in her 3 years on the show. She was an emotionless borg-drone from beginning to the 2nd to last episode where they threw together some awkward Seven-Chokotay relationship that was probably the least-believable part of the show in it's 7 year run.

And the fact that Starfleet promoted Janeway to admiral in Nemesis makes me sick to my stomach. :hs:

23. emorphien

emorphien New Member

I have to admit after watching all of Enterprise when it was on SciFi, the characters seemed a lot more human or at least emotional and real than the other ST series. The major plot in the 2nd and 3rd season was easier to follow than anything I could remember from TNG or what I'd seen of Voyager.

I'm not a big trekkie though, so unless some channel stars showing one from the beginning like SciFi did with Enterprise I probably won't be watching DS9 or Voyager all the way through like I did with Enterprise.

24. Joe_Cool

Troi except more pushy. So Dr. Crusher.

The few episodes I've seen make him look like a lame copy of Riker.

All the standard "I am not human. I am a Vulcan. I do not understand these human emotions" fish out of water stuff, right? Spock/Odo.

Garak

Data/Spock

Worf/Spock

Wesley Crusher

And another Data

Sounds like they just recycled the basic star trek character types and threw them in a different ship.

25. Cam

Cam New Member

You're probably right, but if they had done a better job they might have been able to fool me into liking the show more.

Voyager's problems start with the two command officers. They're just so weak. Kirk and Spock, Picard and Riker, Sisko and Kira, and even Archer and T'Pol(who was weak, but great eye-candy) were all very strong characters that you could write an interesting episode around. Very few of Voyager's interesting episodes revolved around Janeway or Chakotay.