Sci-Fi TV Series overviews #2: Babylon 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by lowfat, Jun 22, 2007.

1. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

Babylon 5 is also one of the better SciFi shows to hit the air. Personally it is my favorite. As B5 has a lot more story and background, I feel as if the order of the synopsis should change a bit.

The Races:

Centauri - They look very similar to humans,except the big hair which looks quite awesome. Long ago, the Centauri were a very powerful and large republic. The expanded their nation over a great deal of the galaxy. Eventually the Centauri's conquered a low-tech world known as Narn. The habitants of Narn proved to be great nuisance. As soon as the Centauri's stripped the world of its resources left the Narns alone, to their desolate home world. This is where fall of the great Centauri empire started.

Narn - The Narn are a large, physically strong reptilian race. After the insurrection on the Narn home world, the Narn's were furious. Their once beautiful, even Oasis like planet was destroyed and barren. The Narn's, being who were very vengeful, took it upon themselves to destroy the Centauri. The quickly rebuilt and terraformed their home world, and with the technology they learned from the Centauri soon set off into space. Eventually the expansion was brought to a stop by the Dilgar, and from this are a much weaker race then the Centauri.

Minbari - A very old intelligent race, that has been a space-fairing race much longer the either the Humans, Centauri, or the Narns. They also are much more technologically advanced as well as more powerful. They Minbari are split into three difference sects. The Warriors, the Religious cast, and the Worker class. Their leading body, the Grey Council is made up of nine members, three from each class. Valen the first great leader of the Minbari created this Council, and all three casts look to Valen as the greatest ever leader of the Minbari. In almost every recent galactic conflict the Minbari has stayed neutral.

Vorlon - The oldest race out there, yet almost nothing is known of them. No one has ever entered their territory and ever came back out. No one has actually ever seen a Vorlon either as they walk around in an enviro suit. The one thing that is known they are far more technologically advanced than any other race out there.

Humans - Just until recently was a non-space fearing race. The Centauri assisted man and with technology and weapons, but they still were not a major player in the game. They were pretty much unknown until they decided to help the allies against the Dilgar. For most part they were turned the tides of the war, and eventually wiped the Dilgar out.

The League of non-aligned worlds - Consists off a bunch of smaller less powerful races. For most part don't play a big part in the big picture, but are mentioned from time to time. For further purposes will be called The League.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  2. lowfat

Now a bit more of the recent history that brought things to where they are now.

History:

The Dilgar War.
    This Dilgar was a very powerful race when it decided to do some expanding, they were quickly making its way through the colonies of the League. All the other major players decided to stay out of the war. That was until the Dilgar attacked a Narn fleet of freighters. The Narn joined the side of the League, however for most parts stayed out of the conflict unless they were attacked directly. The league was losing every battle and hard, that was until the humans decided to aid The League. They quicky turned the tides, and soon after the Dilgar were defeated.

The Earth-Minbari War.
    It wasn't much long afterwards when this war would occur. A confused Earth captain opened fire on a Minbari cruiser. The blast heavly damaged the cruiser and killed Duhkat, the leader of the Minbari Federation at the time. The Minbari, also confused and emotionally distressed at the loss of the leader began a full out assult on the Humans. The Humans were no match for the Minbari, and were loosing every major battle with one exception. An Earth captain, John Sheridan, was able to destory one lone cruiser. The Minbari soon forced all Earth forces to retreat to Earth, and there they would have their last battle. The Humans believed this would be their last stance, or 'The Line'. Just when the Humans were nearly defeated, the Minbari gave a complete surrender, and for most part no one knows why.

The Babylon Project.
    After the Earth-Minbari war, the Earth government took it upon themselves to try to assist with creating peace in the galaxy. The Babylon Project was born. The Babylon Project was to create a centralized place were all races could go to discuss peace. The first three Babylon stations were sabotauged/destroyed. Babylon 4 simply vanished! Then came Babylon 5. The majority of people believed the fifth Babylon station would have a similar fate to the previous 4. And this is when/where the show starts taking place.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  3. lowfat

Characters:

Delenn - The ambassador for Minbari. A member of the religious cast.

Londo Mollari - The ambassador for the Centauri.

Kosh - The ambassador for the Vorlon.

G'Kar - The ambassador for the Narn. Is a member of the Kha'Ri, the ruling body of the Narn Regime.

Jeffrey Sinclair - The first commander of the B5. During 'The Line' he was just a mere fighter pilot. During this battle, he was abducted by the Minbari to find more about the human race. He however doesn't know much about the abduction, just bits and pieces. It was right after they released Sinclair back to his fighter that the Minbari surrendered. Even though Sinclair was very far down the list for people in line to command B5, the Minbari pushed Earth Gov to put him in command of B5, for an unknown reason.

John Sheridan - A commander of an Earth destroyer during the war. Was the only person to successfully destroy a Minbari cruiser during the war.

Stephen Franklin - Doctor of B5. One of two people to ever see a Vorlon.

Michael Garibaldi - head of security on B5.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  4. lowfat

no body is caring :squint: i spent hours on this thing :squint:

5. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

6. Variant

Variant Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty.

:cool:

I really need to get this series on DVD. I only managed to catch about 1/4th of the episodes when they were originally being aired.

7. lowfat

Ya if the episodes were not watched in series, the show really is a 'B' TV show.

8. stolid_agnostic

stolid_agnostic One who is both stolid and agnostic. Get a diction

i care

doctor who took me hours and hours, I understand

9. lowfat

:h5:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2007
  10. stolid_agnostic

stolid_agnostic One who is both stolid and agnostic. Get a diction

unfortunately I never caught it from the begining and modern sci fi series must be watched in sequence

one day I will surely watch it

11. Joe_Cool

You really need to. It's a great, great show. My favorite scifi show ever after Farscape and SG-1. And yeah, it really needs to be watched in order. It's one long continuous story.

12. Joe_Cool

Bump, because I think I'm going to start watching Babylon 5 as soon as I finish Stargate:Atlantis.

I need something to keep me occupied until Ark of Truth is released. I'm trying NOT to watch the work print. :o

13. Variant

:coold:

got season 2 as an X-Mas gift, almost done with it and picking up season 3 next week.

This is a fantastic series.

14. Joe_Cool

Wait until you get to season 4. :noes:

15. Variant

I can't help but continually compare B5 to DS9, since I Tivo DS9 on Spike and will watch an episode if it sounds interesting. The Dominion War story arc is fine and all, but B5's character development is so much better. Londo, G'kar, Delenn, Kosh, Sheriden, Ivanova etc >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sisko, Kira, Odo, Dax, Quark, etc by LIGHTYEARS.

16. Joe_Cool

They're similar, for sure. But they go in different directions. I wouldn't be surprised if both groups got pitched the same story and went different ways with it. They both started nearly the same time, too. :o

17. Joe_Cool

And I love DS9, but it's very Star Trek (even though it's the best of Star Trek). B5 is just so much more of what made DS9 great. The story is better, the characters are better (like you said), and the writing is just put together better.

18. CrimsonVonDoom

CrimsonVonDoom There Cannot be Two Skies OT Supporter

Can't we all just be Kosh?

We can?

Oh. Snap!

19. lowfat

I really love B5, the story is awesome. The only thing that brings it down for me is sometimes the acting is really bad and cheesy :o

20. Joe_Cool

Sometimes. :o

But the awesomeness of the writing more than makes up for it.

21. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That was what got me about it. One thing DS9 wasn't was cheesy. It had a really great cast, and it didn't go out of its way to make aliens seem outlandish just to get the point across that they were aliens.

22. Variant

I finally realized why I like B5 so much better than DS9, aside from the superior storytelling on B5, that is.

NO TECHNOBABBLE.

There is little to none of this type of crap in Babylon 5:

"Sir....we've detected a quantum rift that's disabling our communications and draining our shields. I can realign the deflector dish to emit a constant stream of reverse-flux tachyon particles. That should depolarize the hull and alter the shift of the ion flow."

:rolleyes:

After all these years, I've finally figured out why I find most episodes of any Star Trek series to be so fucking annoying.

23. Joe_Cool

I caught up on Stargate:Atlantis last night, so today I started my re-watch of Babylon 5. What a great show. :big grin:

I'm on S1E3 now. :coold:

24. mechagrover

mechagrover Trek geek OT Supporter

I finally got around to seeing the direct to video movie (which is really more like 2 episodes). Much better than I expected, but it was painfully obvious they had no budget.

25. Joe_Cool

Which one?