Sci-Fi TV Series overviews #1: Farscape

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Joe_Cool, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Best show ever, IMO. At the very least, best scifi show ever.

[​IMG]

The Story:
    An earth scientist, while conducting an experiment, gets sucked through a wormhole and appears on the other side of the galaxy. He gets mixed up in a prison escape, and joins the prisoners because he is believed to have killed a peacekeeper. The main plot centers on the wormhole technology John Crichton is believed to have, and the powers fighting over it and him.

The Setting:
    Aboard the captured prison ship in a remote part of the galaxy.

The Races:
    Humans
    Sebaceans - A race nearly identical to humans except for an intolerance for high temperatures. Most are entirely committed to the Peacekeepers - A galactic empire acting as police for most of the known galaxy. Ruled by a military dictatorship.
    Luxans - A warrior race. Humanoid, but with tentacles on and near the face and a venomous tongue.
    Delvians - Sentient carnivorous plants. Humanoid in appearance, but blue.
    Nebari - Grey humanoids, ruled by a centralized government that does not tolerate nonconformity.
    Hynerian - A small aquatic race, somewhat lizard-like in appearance. Ruled by a monarch called "Dominar".
    Scarrans - A hot-blooded reptilian race. They are extremely powerful, impervious to most typical handheld weapons, and have a "heat ray" useful as a short range weapon. Also with some telepathic abilities.
    Banik - A people enslaved by the Peacekeepers. Some of them (Stykera) have strange spiritual powers.
    Kalish - Another humanoid race, but with a few drastic differences: They can "shift gravity" to stand on walls or ceilings, and severed limbs can be reattached almost instantly. Many Kalish are slaves in the Scarran empire.
    Interions - Humanoids. Can melt metal by screaming.
    Leviathans - A living ship capable of faster than light jumps called Starbursts. Each one lives in a permanent, symbiotic relationship with its pilot. Many Leviathans have been captured and pressed into service by the Peacekeepers as cargo and prison ships. Obedience is forced through the use of a "control collar".
    Pilots - A race that is bonded (physically and mentally) to Leviathan ships.

The Main characters:
    The Prisoners:
    John Crichton (Human) - Buck Rogers, a fish out of water. The main character.
    Aeryn Sun (Sebacean) - Peacekeeper. Exiled aboard Moya because she was "irreversibly contaminated" by her contact with the aliens.
    Dominar Rygel XVI (Hynerian) - Sovereign of the Hynerian empire. A ruler in exile, imprisoned for 130 years prior to the mutiny.
    Ka D'Argo (Luxan) - A soldier. Imprisoned aboard Moya for the murder of his Sebacean wife.
    Pa'U Zotoh Zhaan (Delvian) - Priestess. Imprisoned for killing another Delvian who was collaborating with the Peacekeepers.
    Chiana (Nebari) - Dirty slut. Prisoner. Escaped onto Moya while being transported back to her homeworld for "reprogramming".
    Jool (Interion) - Reanimated by Moya's crew after being stored for "parts" in a medical lab for decades.
    Sikozu (Kalish) - A Leviathan hunter. She is the guide for a team that "harvests" material from Leviathan transports, killing them in the process.
    Stark (Stykera) - Escaped from Scorpius's Gammak Base when Crichton and crew destroyed it. Has spiritual powers, and is sensitive to death.
    Pilot (Pilot) - Moya's second pilot.
    Moya (Leviathan) - More than just the ship. She's a person; an actual character in the show.

The Peacekeepers:
    Captain Bilar Crais - Sebacean
    Scorpius - half Sebacean, half Scarran
    Commandant Mele-on Grayza - Sebacean
    Captain Meeklo Braca - Sebacean

The Scarrans:
    Emperor Staleek
    War Minister Akhna

Other
    Harvey. A neural clone of Scorpius in Crichton's head. His sole purpose is to secure the wormhole technology from Crichton.

[​IMG]

Any questions and discussion are welcome. :wavey:

edit: Added character info and characters that I had left out. :o

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  2. Hiero

Hiero New Member

It would seem as if the species that Crichton finds himself among are a race of beings with greater intelligence and technology...so the show is saying that these couldn't have come up with the wormhole technology themselves and that they have to bother Crichton for it?

3. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

He didn't figure out the wormhole stuff by himself, if i say anymore i give some plot away.

4. Joe_Cool

Traveling through wormholes ain't like dusting crops, boy!

Yes they all have more advanced technology. That doesn't mean they've unlocked the secrets of the universe. Crichton himself only stumbled onto it.

There's more to the story, of course.

5. mechagrover

mechagrover Trek geek OT Supporter

My favorite thing about the show was the constant pop-culture references John would make, even though he knew no one would know what he's talking about.

Oh and you left Harvey off of the crew list :mamoru:

6. Hiero

Hiero New Member

So...Worth buying the DVD set? I only ask because of how abruptly the series ended.

7. Joe_Cool

You have seen the miniseries/movie that tied up the story, haven't you? The Peacekeeper Wars? If not, get it without hesitation.

Yes, it's worth buying. Just make sure you get Peacekeeper Wars along with it.

8. Joe_Cool

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Scorpius might be the greatest of all villains. Better than even Darth Vader.

And I mean Vader before he got gayed up in episodes 1-3.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  9. lowfat

I was going to try to come up with some snappy thing about how B5 has a better villian, however, almost all 'villians' in B5 are good at one point for most parts.

10. Joe_Cool

:werd: B5 has a really deep and complex story - other than the you-know-who's, nobody is really either good or bad. Everybody has complex motivations and goals.

In fact, that's part of what makes Scorpius such a great antagonist, IMO. Because even though his relentless and single-minded pursuit of his goal usually puts him at odds with Moya's crew, he's really not EVIL.

And actually, now that I think about it, the you-know-who's in B5 aren't as clear-cut and simple as they seem at first. :noes:

11. ManyHamsters

ManyHamsters There are necessary pursuits... but poetry, beauty

finished the 2nd episode ... John's character is grating on me a little :'( fuck i really wanted a new sci-fi series to obssess over too

does the storyline pick up?

12. Joe_Cool

You have no idea how much. The first season is a little slow and random, but starting about 1/3 of the way into season 2, the plot just gets HUGE.

13. ManyHamsters

ManyHamsters There are necessary pursuits... but poetry, beauty

alright sweet! =) guess i'll hang in there

14. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

Downloading. Thanks for the link, Joe :cool:

15. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

RIP Farscape

I used to have the season 3 and 4 box sets...but i traded them in after getting an HD DVD player add on for my Xbox 360.

Awesome series...but it sucked that the DVDs cost so much (for the good ones, not the starburst editions).

Season 1...was meh til towards the end. Season 2, incredible arcs. Season 3, nice, relaxed paced with some good filler episodes.

Season 4...first few episodes were great, but the main arc was kinda ugh to me.

Still remember seeing the end of "Bad Timing". So many good moments in that episode...the last piano note before the credits...I was so angry/sad at that moment!

Peacekeeper Wars...good, but could have been better.

Will definitely rebuy if it comes out on HD DVD, but i doubt it.

It's a hard series to watch after you have seen it through once.

16. Joe_Cool

Glad to help out. :)

17. lowfat

FINALLY got around to watching Farscape over again, it really is better the second time. Even the first season is pretty damned good. The last 4 episodes of season one are just sick.

18. Joe_Cool

Scorpius :noes:

19. lowfat

Season 2 starts off a bit slow though :hs:

20. Joe_Cool

Yeah the main storyline doesn't really get rolling until the first 3-part episode (Look at the Princess). After that, it gets awesome.

21. lowfat

After seeing Crichton's peacekeeper jacket in season 2 again, i have come to realize I NEED one of these. I remember seeing them in the process of getting them sold somewhere on the internet. Anyone know anything of this or know of the site?

22. Joe_Cool

I haven't been able to find one. If I could, you know I'd have one. :bowdown:

If you manage to track down somebody who sells them, definitely let me know.

23. cASe SenSiTive

cASe SenSiTive Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime

Great show. Well written with deep characters.

And of course, anything with Muppets has gotta be cool. ;)

24. cASe SenSiTive

cASe SenSiTive Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime

:squint:

25. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

one of my all time favorite shows. The pop culture references in a world of aliens works ... calling rygel "sparky" - teaching 1812 the song and painting it red white and blue... the beginning was slow but the end - my favorite episode would have to be the one with einstein, unrealized realities and all that. What was that one called again? I have to say Scorpius was my favorite villain of all time. The british accent that was always so calm, so composed, when his actions were always so diabolical and so ruthless - a perfect contrast IMO