Sci-Fi T.V. Series Overviews #12: Stargate SG-1

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Capt. Slow, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Capt. Slow

Capt. Slow Member

A brief synopsis of the Stargate movie(taken directly from IMDB):
    The show ran for ten seasons (eight of which were actually good :)) and spawned two spin-off series.
    [​IMG]

The Stargate
    [​IMG]
    The Stargate is a device created by a race of humanoids called "The Ancients" long ago. It forms an artificial, but stable, wormhole that connects to other Stargates. Presumably there is a Stargate at a location on every planet deemed hospitable by this race. These devices use a pad called a DHD (Dial Home Device) to input the codes specific to the gate you wish to travel to (like pinging a cosmic IP address).

The Story

About one year after events of the Stargate movie it is discovered that the Stargate can dial to more than just the Abydos gate. Teams were sent through the gate to explore the planets on the other side, and bring back knowledge and treaties that could be used to help earth.

Races
    There are four (lights?) major races in the first eight seasons, and one more in seasons nine and ten.
    Humans- The Stargate Command is a special branch of the Air Force that is sent through the gate. There are many away teams, each with its own "SG" designation. The main group of the show SG-1. They are the most seasoned and knowledgeable team in the branch; one member even lived across the universe for a time.
    Goa'uld/Tok'ra- The Goa'uld are the antagonists of the show. They are a race of (somewhat)symbiotic parasites that need to live in a humanoid host. They prolong the life of the host that they inhabit, but they suppress any and all thought or input from the host. The Goa'uld came to Earth long ago, and taught us how to build the pyramids and other things. Due to their vastly superior technology, coupled with their arrogance, they were worshiped as gods. The Tok'ra are genetically the same as the Goa'uld, however they are the antithesis to their brethren. A Tok'ra is truly symbiotic with the host it chooses; their thoughts and actions are as one. It is not known if this race can die of old age. It has never happened.
    [​IMG]
    Jaffa- The Jaffa are an offshoot of humanity, that were genetically engineered byt he Goa'uld long ago. Jaffa have a pouch in their abdomen that incubates Goa'uld in their larval form. The larval Goa'uld gives the Jaffa strength, long life and good health, but it serves as their immune system. If a Jaffa is separated from its symbiote for too long, it will die. Jaffa do not sleep, and need only meditate for a few hours a day to be refreshed.
    Asgard- The Asgard are a race of benevolent and highly advanced aliens. They were in an alliance with the Ancients and two other races. Though they did travel to Earth they have a strict policy of not interfering with lesser races. Asgard reproduce through cloning, and are virtually indistinguishable from one another. Asgard and Goal'uld have long been enemies, though the Asgard have superior technology.
    Ancients- Not much is known about the ancients at all. They are the builders of the Stargates and seemed to have unparalleled technology. At some point the Ancients shed their fleshy bodies and ascended into beings of pure thought. They do not interfere with mortals, and any caught meddling in the affairs of us will be cast out and back to their fleshy bodies.
    Ori- Main antagonists of the last two seasons, the Ori are genetic cousins of the Ancients. The main difference between the two races is that, while both races are ascended, the Ori demand worship from the lesser beings of the universe. The Ori are capable of giving some of their knowledge to mortals, and this gives them the appearance of being gods while their "priests" seem to possess divine powers.
    There are many other races races in the Stargate Universe that affect the journey of the SG-1 crew.

Main Characters
    [​IMG]
    Jonathan J. O'Neill- Jack is the leader of SG-1, and one of the two people that went through the Stargate to Abydos (in the movie). He is an avid stargazer, and was a father and husband at one time.
    [​IMG]
    Daniel Jackson- The other member of SG-1 to return from Abydos is Daniel Jackson. Jackson is an archaeologist and a linguist; He is one of the only people capable of deciphering Ancient writing. He is immensely interested in alien cultures, but tends to lose sight of the mission at times.
    [​IMG]
    Samantha Carter- Sam is an astrophysicist, engineer and pilot. She was born into a military family, and followed in the footsteps of her father. Sam is the leading expert on alien devices, having an almost uncanny knowledge of inhuman technology.
    [​IMG]
    Teal'c- Teal'c is a Jaffa warrior, and once served as the right hand of a Goa'uld System Lord(leader). Teal'c has a wife and son on his home planet of Chulak, and puts them at great risk by working with SG-1.
    [​IMG]
    Stargate Command is controlled by Major General George S. Hammond.
    Throughout the series other characters join the crew, and leave the crew, as I do not wish to spoil the plot I can not say much about them, but is a list of other main characters:
    Major General Henry Landry -SGC
    [​IMG]
    Lieutenant Colonel Cameron Mitchell - SG1
    [​IMG]
    Jonas Quinn - SG-1
    [​IMG]
    Vala Mal Doran - former con-artist and thief/SG-1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  2. Capt. Slow

Capt. Slow Member

Okay, rip it apart. I will be back tomorrow to edit/add what you guys think it needs.

3. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Pretty good :bigthumb: Maybe a little background info on the film & the spinoffs would be cool too

I'm surprised I liked SG1, it was just a fun, light hearted sci fi shows. I usually really don't like shows with no character development, and where everything returns to the status quo at the end of the episode. The banter between O'Neill and Daniel was hilarious though, and Teal'c was hilarious as well :o.

I've tried watching Atlantis but it just felt the same as SG1, and McKay wasn't enough to make me continue watching.

SGU so far it's actually promising, although they abuse the communication stones from SG1 like crazy. If they drop the stone bs, it really would be Stargate Galactica :o

4. Capt. Slow

Capt. Slow Member

I liked what I saw of SGU, but was definitely not a fan of Atlantis. Will be sure to add a little synopsis of the movie when I get back to my computer (watching Top Gear reruns :rofl: ).

5. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

i had a really hard time getting into that show. i thought Stargate The Movie was cool when i first saw it, it was different from other shit that was out at the time and when i heard about a tv show being made i was interested... then i watched a couple of eps and lost all interest in the franchise.

6. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

like every other show, it takes a few seasons to get its stride.

7. Capt. Slow

Capt. Slow Member

:werd: when it starts to get going it really gets going. It takes almost a season to really move past being a T.V. version of the movie, but when it does :eek3: it gets great.

8. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

i see.

9. Capt. Slow

Capt. Slow Member

Do it. You know you want to.

10. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

11. Joe_Cool

I disagree about not having to watch them in order. They don't have a strong continuity like DS9 or Babylon 5, but there is definitely a continuity.

12. 01ACRViper

01ACRViper Official OT LOTR Guru......... Spurs >*

:werd:

there are 4-5 episode arcs at the beginning and end of each season and halfway that would make little sense if you just skipped through them randomly

13. Hiero

Hiero New Member

Any information on the newer cast members and how the older ones (Jackson, O'Neill, Teal'c, Carter) were phased out?

14. Capt. Slow

Capt. Slow Member

They phased out O'Neill in the end, but Jacson played a HUGE role in the last two seasons. Teal'c and Carter were there, but not as big.

15. Capt. Slow

Capt. Slow Member

unless you meant Stargate in general? not just SG-1?

16. Capt. Slow

Capt. Slow Member

this is true. I had not thought about that at the time.
    I removed that line, but I am not sure what to put in now :hs:

17. Joe_Cool

I'd emphasize that it doesn't NEED to be watched in order, but it should be, to be appreciated properly.

18. Hiero

Hiero New Member

Explain how they came to have diminished roles, storyline-wise.

19. Capt. Slow

Capt. Slow Member

it all happened so fast, Carter and O'neill were promoted and took roles that barely showed them.. and with the Ori being the primary baddies Teal'c was not a huge character. Sci-fi kinda just said "eh, we took a turn and we want to run with it. Fuck you, fans."

20. Los

Los Active Member

I would put my dick down in Samantha Carter.