GUN School me on Springfield 1903

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Foolish, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Foolish

Foolish Well-Known Member

A guy I work with was telling me about some older guns passed down in his family that he's looking to get rid of. One of them is a Springfield 1903.

He said the information on the gun says it's a Rock Island with a serial number in the 400xxx range. Barrel says RIA 10-18

A quick Google of the serial numbers provides this link, which would put it in the non-existent category, unless someone bastardized a RIA barrel on a SA rifle.

Any ideas on when it was made?

He's looking to get rid of it, possibly pretty cheap. Says it's in great condition, and showed me some pics to compare the condition to. However, I haven't seen the actual gun yet.

Anyways, I'm thinking I might be able to pick it up for $2-300. I see similar ones on gunbroker going for $650-900

2. themorrison

themorrison New Member

3. Foolish

Foolish Well-Known Member

somebody find them a new animated jpg and feel like posting it back to back to back?

[​IMG]

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

If it is sporterized give him $200 if you want a rifle. If it is military-config then really think about buying it for more.

5. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

For some reason I completely ignored the "Springfield" part and came in here to tell you about the Colt 1903. Then I saw that it was a rifle and got confused :o

6. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

7. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

According to the books, Rock Island stopped normal production 30 June 1919 at SN# 346,779. But rifles with much higher numbers have been observed, most likely manufactured as inventory replacements for damaged beyond repair rifles in WW1.