School Me on Honda

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Jimmy10to2, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Jimmy10to2

Jimmy10to2 New Member

I know very little about cars, especially engine components and other basic stuff like wtf is a j-body? I just bought an '04 Accord Coupe V6 6-speed and I need to learn some shit. Especially since I want to mod my car. When you mod your car, ppl start asking you all sorts of car questions, and I wouldn't know any answers :hs:. For mods, I'm looking at just starting out with new rims (18''), tint, custom altezza taillights. and maybe lowering it just a bit by ~2''.

2. ok man...... i guess since you're kinda new to this whole thing. i won't flame you. too hard. first of all, a j-body is a cavalier/sunfire basically. there's more too it but read up on here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_J_platform

That Accord is fairly quick by stock Honda terms so mod it right and other people, not just you, will like it a lot. You can do rims and lower it but don't do the altezzas. I'm not sure what else you can upgrade on the body of those things but spend the money on something more tasteful like a lip kit or aftermarket grill. something along those lines. i can guarantee you that if you don't rice it out with altezza lights and what not, people won't talk down on your car and you'll feel a lot better about what you've done with it.

3. Also as far as "go fast parts", the only thing you're really gonna be able to do with that car for fairly cheap is a cold air intake, headers(if someone even makes them for that car), and exhaust. I don't know how the accord v6 motor reacts to bolt on parts but just from my past experience with naturally aspirated hondas, don't make the exhaust too much bigger over the stock size.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Buy the shop manual for your car (not the cheap Haynes manual from Autozone, the real shop manual from Honda) and just start flipping through it and reading sections that catch your interest. That's the best way to learn about a car without taking one apart, because it'll make you start wondering about how systems work, and then you can go look them up in the manual.

The other guy's right about the cold-air intake; that's pretty much the only way to get any horsepower increase on a stock motor without a compressor, because the stock intake is usually too small to provide adequate airflow. The exhaust, on the other hand, should stay fairly narrow so the exhaust gases will pick up speed as they exit the engine and they'll be able to provide suction to remove more exhaust after the next combustion cycle.

And yeah, don't get Altezza taillights. Unless you buy ones that cost as much as the stock taillights did, they'll be cheap and they'll look like shit in a couple of years, and even if they don't get all nasty looking, they still won't be designed as well as the stock taillights. Few things advertise that you wish you were hot shit more than aftermarket taillights. (Those few things would be cheap wheels, tires with stripes, fart-can mufflers, and huge aluminum wings, for future reference.)

5. MercenaryForHire

MercenaryForHire only you know the real truth

Those aren't mods, they're rice.

6. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

Race
    Inspired
    Cosmetic
    Enhancements

A slang word, based in reality. ;)

EDIT; No problem with putting on a decent set of wheels/tires, as long as you shy away from shitty mods like Altezzas, and do a proper job of lowering. Cutting the springs is beater action; I wouldn't do that to a car, period.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  7. alovell

alovell Active Member

It's front wheel drive. And based on your post, it's an auto. Leave it be.

8. deusexaethera

Hah! That's pretty good.

And yeah, cutting the springs is a TERRIBLE idea, because it increases the stiffness of the springs without doing anything to increase the stiffness of the dampers to compensate. So the car bounces down the highway instead of handling properly.

9. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

The "proper" way to lower is to take a blow torch, heat up the coils and have them "compress" to a lower height.
    :rofl:

10. :rolleyes: fag

well.... except the auto part

11. armywrx

armywrx New Member

Reading > You

12. deusexaethera

Nah, the proper way is to buy a set of coilovers that are actually built to do what you want, then you sell your stock springs to some sucker who thinks cutting or torching them is good enough -- or who found out the hard way that it isn't.

13. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

umm... ok. :squint:
    sarcasm > you.

14. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

This statement is a contradiction. I'm not an expert on any Honda, especially the newer Accord's, but I would not say a 2" drop is small by any means. On my car, it would completely fuck up the suspension geometry and require major (mostly custom) re-engineering to handle correctly again.

15. deusexaethera

I know you were kidding. I just didn't want anyone else to think you were serious.

16. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

I was always told the best way to lower a car is to heat the front springs and put 4 15 inch subs in the back

17. Vicious-S

Vicious-S New Member

fact. only you need 3 tv's with the subs, so they don't get bored.

18. alovell

alovell Active Member

the only fwd cars i will EVER consider buying are RSX-S and the new GTI. and i will still never buy them.

think of any race car or whatever, any nice car, etc- they're all rwd. there's a reason for that. i hate front wheel drive. :o

19. Vicious-S

Vicious-S New Member

hahaha good argument... but fwd is still better than awd.

20. deusexaethera

You should try the Altima Coupe with the 270hp 3.5L V6 and the CVT. I got to test drive my friend's over the weekend. Pegging the gas and watching the RPMs jump to 6000 and then stay there from 50mph to 120mph was like magic.

An engine that can stay at peak power for the entire pull > *

Oh, and the CVT has a clutch instead of a torque converter, so even though it's technically an automatic, the parasitic losses are on par with a stickshift.

21. saiaba

saiaba Guest

on that v6 accord, watch out for the 6 speeds, they have this awesome gear pop out for 3rd gear..

22. big 1

big 1 New Member

v6p.net
    gen7accord.net
    driveaccord.com

23. big 1

big 1 New Member

wait to hear the second click. Don't power shift into 3rd etc. Change tranny fluid every 25k miles

24. arse

arse New Member

:bowrofl:

25. GTSlow

GTSlow New Member

:rofl: traction is so overrated!