A&P School me on getting accurate color

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by wizeguy4, Jan 13, 2009.

1. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I am looking at for print and for web. tutorials, websites, personal knowledge anything.

I am currently getting a Pantone Huey so that I can calibrate the color from my monitor but I know this is just one of several spets I need to look at to get good prints on teh web and print.

I use photoshop/ bridge/ lightroom in that order primarily and I believe I need to have the right colorspace selected for the medium I am publishing to right?

What should it be for web?

And for print? I would only be printing on photopaper, not canvas or anything else special.

So now my photo editor and my monitor should now be in snyc right? anything else I need to know?

And finally for output, do I need to know the printer profile from the lab I choose to use? and if I do get the printer profile (if I need it) what do I do with this info?

I am sure I will have more questions as this progresses

2. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

did you receive the huey yet?

3. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

not yet, should be here in the next day or so though. I will let you know though, sorry my PM box is full and I have been too lazy to delete some PMs

4. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

best of luck. when you figure it all out, let me know, okay?

i have a huey pro, pro9000 printer, LR/PS, amazing knowledge about computers, have the correct printer profiles both for my printer AND the paper I use, and I STILL can't get prints to look like they do on my screen.

it's a gigantic pain in my ass.

5. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

I don't really have the time to answer your questions but here is a tutorial written by a guy who runs the printing lab at RIT. It's a few years outdated but it still has some useful information about ICC profiles and printing that you are wondering about.

http://people.rit.edu/med2823/colormanageproject/index.html

6. Venthor

Venthor OT Supporter

the most badass and ridiculous calibration that i have done was, to temporarily adjust your monitor settings to match the colors of your print :o:

it worked good enough for me but it is NOT recommended lulz

7. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I am mainly looking for learning the basics of how things should be so that I can begin to move forward correctly. I know there is no one recipe for this but I am sure there is a right way and wrong way.

So I go into my color settings and I am set to North America General Purpose 2 and my workspace is setup for sRGB. I have checked with the company that does most of my prints and they use sRGB so I think that I am going right so far. I need to calibrate my monitor and then possibly send a few test prints and when I get them back compare them to my monitor. Cause I also know that my brightness on my monitor is fucked up too

8. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

thanks - I will be reading this throughout the day today