GUN School me on CA Legal Ar-15's

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Hathegkla, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

first off I'm not moving to another fucking state just so I can buy a gun. but I really want an ar-15. I've heard things but I can't confirm anything. I hear you can own an AR in CA if you modify the mag so you have to put a tool into the hole where the mag release goes. I've also heard you need to have a totally non removable mag (then how do you service it?).

I'm looking to buy one but I'm really not sure what to go with. I've had friends offer to help me build a lower so I'm really not sure what to do. what I want to end up with is an AR with a match grade barrel, a scope and a 10rd mag. if its possible I'd like to be able to remove the mag with a tool but I'm not 100% on the legality of this. any info would be helpful esp from CA people.

2. Jimmy Pop Cornholio

Jimmy Pop Cornholio forsakenisanidiot.info

I reside in CA and have 3 ARs and would be more than happy to explain everything to you. PM me your number and I will call you. Easier than typing

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

thats the truth :o

4. Jimmy Pop Cornholio

All these are CA legal
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Jimmy Pop Cornholio

Its a bitch typing it all out and I am lazy :p

6. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i was tempted to refer him to CGN but refreshed the page and saw your post :o

7. GTslow88

GTslow88 Guest

www.calguns.net

Go there for all your needs.

But in short. Yes you can own an AR-15, but it can not use a receiver that is on the banned list. Which is very easy to do because the list hasn't been updated in years.

There are 2 options for your build. Fixed mag with features or featureless with the ability to drop your mag as normal.

To make a fixed mag rifle you'll need to add a built button or prince50 mag lock. The BB lets you drop your mag but requires a tool to press the release (tool can be anything) the prince50 locks the mag in place with a set screw and forces you to top load your rifle. It’s also the easiest to make free state functional, but it is also the easiest to turn into an illegal assault weapon too.
    With either one of these you can have all the evil features you want. But you are limited to 10 round mag.

You'll be limited to 10 round mags unless you bought them before the ban anyways with either type of build.

With a featureless build you'll use an alternate type of grip. Either a MonsterMan grip or a U-15 stock. The MM grip it a little odd to look at but it does work pretty well. The U-15 is weird as fuck looking but gives a pretty decent approximation of a regular rifle grip.

With either of these you can not use any other evil features, not forward grip, collapsible stock ect. But lets you drop your mags and use any hi-caps you bought before the ban.

8. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

9. GTslow88

GTslow88 Guest

however there are still retarded DA and LEO's out there that don't know or understand OLL's and people have been hassled by them. So far it seems to be fixed mag builds that look like AW with all the evil features. It is not impossible or out of the question that it could happen to you or anyone else. Just look at BlackwaterOPs/Matt Corwin.

10. Jimmy Pop Cornholio

Calguns is a great place to go but don't go and ask this question you will just get the "use the search button' response. It is a great resource though and a lot of great people.

11. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

woah. word of warning: if you use the bullet button or price50 style magazine locks you CAN NOT USE A 30 ROUND MAGAZINE. a fixed magazine that holds more than 10 rounds creates an assault weapon regardless of configuration

12. Jimmy Pop Cornholio

Most of those cases were 2006 and a lot of LEOs know the law better now. Back then no one even knew what a OLL was.

13. GTslow88

GTslow88 Guest

I already said that. ;)

14. Jimmy Pop Cornholio

Werd :cool:. But we all bought 30 rounders before the ban right? :coolugh:

15. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

didn't seem so from this part:

:dunno:

just dont want to see anyone get in trouble

16. GTslow88

GTslow88 Guest

Read the sentence above that. :mamoru:

17. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

yeah, but that doesnt matter with a fixed magazine build. its still illegal :o

18. Jimmy Pop Cornholio

I know but still. I have magzines for guns I don't even own that are high cap just incase I ever get one lol. I have 2 32 rounds clips for a Glock 17 that I am going to use in my new Glock 19 :)

19. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:cool:

20. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:o

21. GTslow88

GTslow88 Guest

did you keep the recipts or anything?

22. Jimmy Pop Cornholio

No and I don't need to show any receipt when asked.

23. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

burden of proof is on the state.

24. Jimmy Pop Cornholio

Exactly. i do not need to prove they are legal they need to prove they are illegal

25. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

wow, tons of great info. thanks guys. I was really un clear about the fixed mag (prince50 mag lock) vs the built button. I definitely want to use a Built Button on whatever I get/build but just to make it clear. I can own as many 10 round mags as I want and can freely swap them out using the BB as long as I just keep that little tool on my key chain or whatever?

I'm a lefty so I'm thinking about buying a complete lower and doing the upper separately (I also want a heavy match barrel). I've been looking at Stag Arms, seems like they have a lot of good stuff but how would I buy a receiver or complete rifle if I can't mod it first? can I do it before the FFL transfers it to me? still not clear on how that works.