GUN School me on AKs.. building or buying blah blah

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by crazybenf, Jan 20, 2008.

1. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

I've heard that you can buy cheap AK parts kits and put it together yourself easily.. But there's a tool that is an expensive required tool... Is this tool the way to bend the flat sheet into the u shape?

Basically.. what the fuck? Do I buy a new AK from classic for 329 or build one..

Can you buy a DIY parts kit and avoid FFL issues if it's the flat stamped steel?

Any guides out there to building one yourself?

2. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

There are ways of bending the receiver into shape without the expensive tool. I'll be fucked if I could find the link on the howto though. :dunno:

3. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I'll be attending an AK build party soon. Probably gonna build a pistol and a side folder rifle. :o

P.S. I don't know anything but there are some guys on my site that do it. One of them is having the party at his house. :cool:

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Well there's more than one tool to build an AK. If you don't plan on building a few AKs it's really not worth it to buy all the tools.

If you are good at welding you can probably make the tools yourself for under $100. But if you want to buy them you'll need:

12 hydrolic press: ~$100
    Receiver flat jig: $150 (you can buy pre-made receivers for around $60 shipped
    Rivet jigs: $100 for all of them or you can modify a pair of bolt cutters. I have a pair of modified bolt cutters which I use to squeeze the rivets together, works great but there are a couple rivets that it can't reach, I do them by hand with a ball-pin hammer.
    Spot welder: $150 for welding on the rails.
    Various other tools: Drill press, vice (the bigger the better,) set of large punches, a set of good drill bits. propane torch for heat treating

You will save a lot of money and time buying pre-made receivers from http://nodakspud.com/ (no need for a spot welder, receiver flat jib, or even a hydrolic press if you're good enough.)

If you've got some time, check out this guy's videos on building your own: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=BuildyourownAK

I've done one before with a dremel, a big hammer, a $7 punch set, a hand drill, my bolt cutter tool, and some scrap metal I shaped into specialized tools. It was a pain the ass but it got done. Many of the tools make it go a lot faster and make the final product look a little nicer.