School me in Detailing

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by OiNK, Mar 9, 2010.

1. OiNK

OiNK Pink Palace

Here's the car:

[​IMG]

I'll start out by saying what I know about car care. I've started learning within the past week or so after I bought my new car. I've never waxed a car in my life, I've always paid someone to clean it, or just used the wash it yourself type car wash places.

Things I need help on:

What waxes to use, what sealants to use, and how/when to use them.
    What to use on glass? I've been using Windex but my friend cringed and said never do that again :rofl:
    What do you after you wipe down the interior with woolite/water mix? protectant?
    What do I protect my wheels with? I think they are painted
    What do I protect the plastic trim with?
    Are there any products you see that I am missing, wrong, or that I should consider?

Things I'm thinking of purchasing
    1. Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine 32 oz. New Formula! - Scottwax whores this brand, wonder how much they pay him monthly :mamoru2:
    2. Wet/Dry Vaccum - anyone recommend something better/cheaper/more car oriented?
    3. Mothers Brake Dust Brush - I have huge hands, need something like this for the wheels, might even need something smaller. There isn't much room in my wheels
    4. Mothers Wheel Brush - Larger brush before I start in with the smaller one
    5. The Guzzler Combo Kit (Friend recomended)
    6. Microfiber Towel Multi Pack - Assortment of Microfiber towels for drying and washing
    7. ShMITT - To wash panels and most of the car (Friend recomended)
    8. 36oz Spray Detail Bottle - Can't find a good spray bottle anywhere
    9. Black WOW - for cleaning the plastic trim around the outside of the bottom of the car

Things I already have:
    1. Buckets
    2. Woolite HE - Interior
    3. Spray Nozzle attachment for hose
    4. 20 Pack of terrycloth towels (made the mistake of using them right after I bought them, left a shit load of white lint on my roof :mad:)
    5. Assorted low quality car cleaning products from walmart/target

2. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

/thread

4. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

The EDU thread has most of what you need for washing AND detailing. I see that you asked about Detailing, but only mention supplies for washing.

If you're looking for spray bottles, I'd recommend Wal-Mart.

How are you going to polish the car? What wax/sealant are you going to use? Read that thread, it really helped me a couple of years ago when I was starting out.

5. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

I have to admit, you newb's have it made these days. There was no car care forum when I started. Good ol skewl of hard knockers......(Which is essence, is better! Theres not a whole lot to learn about techniques Im not already familiar with. Now products? Hints are nice, but you really never know anything until you try it out anyway!)