School Help, DBA assistance needed

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fintheman, Feb 27, 2006.

1. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

I don't know where my Prof is coming off that I can get the attention of someone who probably makes more in an hour than I do in a day.

Contact a large organization, such as a bank, an insurance company, or a hospital. Interview the database administrator about the database he or she maintains on customers (or patients). What are the measures that the DBA has taken to protect the privacy of the subjects whose records are kept in the databases? Consider accuracy, timeliness, and appropriate access to personal records. Write a 2- to 3-page report on your findings. If you found loopholes in the procedures, list them and explain why they are loopholes and how they can be remedied

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Call 3 companies. Someone will talk to you. This is a good assignment, you just have to get over your angst.

3. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

You're unlikely to get to a DBA by just calling a company's switchboard. Besides, a lot of companies could be reluctant to give out this info.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

"Well, I guess the major loophole here at 1st National Bank is that we have a backdoor admin password account on all functions relating to our database. This bypasses all of the tracking records that are normally kept but who's going to guess a password like boondoggle?"

5. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

:rofl: It's a stupid assignment, but hopefully someone on here can help you.

6. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

God, I remember when I was given assignments like that. So glad that shit is over.

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If you look around, you can find the IT department listed on a website or something. This is a good assignment. You guys suck.

8. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

Assignment has been done

I think part of the assignment was finding out the roadblocks of actually talking to a live DBA re: Social engineering/hackings.

I did try, but I couldn't get much information due to privacy/practice measures. I was able to compile information from a few DBs from a bunch of different forums.

I decided to write the privacy/policy if I were to head database and made sure I seperated the realms of data security from network security in the report.