MIL scholarships

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by radfad88, Mar 15, 2010.

1. radfad88

radfad88 The Batman-O-Lantern

Hi all! I've been researching scholarships online recently and have been having a hard time sorting through what are legit oppertunites and what's just worthless spam.

I'm a 21/female PFC in the Ga Army NG. Broadcast Journalism major. My MOS is 46R (Broadcast Journalist). I'm a sophomore at a public university here in Atlanta.

Obviously I get some help with Tuition Assistance: up to $4500/year on first come first serve basis + GI Bill for reservists which is about $600/month. I'm still waiting on the GI Bill money to start coming in, they sent me a letter saying there is an influx of applicants and it can take a while "don't contact us, we'll contact you."

For anyone who knows anything about higher education in Georgia, you know that the governor + legislature is cutting funding DRASTICALLY calling it a "last resort". My in-state, public college costs roughly $3750/semester BEFORE all these cuts, and they're talking about a 35% increase in tuition + $1000 fee hike for all Ga public universities.

So basically I'm pressed to fill the void that my TA and GI bill isn't going to cover. It's disheartening because I joined the Army to pay for college, and now it looks as if I'm still very lacking. I even moved back in with my parents to try and cut my budget for school.

I've found a bunch of Broadcasting scholarships but almost all of them are specified for minorities and I'm afraid I'm about as white as they come. I've also found a TON of scholarships for the children/spouses of servicemembers but I'm a first generation Soldier.

Any ideas or suggestions? Web sites you can refer me to?

2. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Just imagine how you would feel if you didn't have TA or the GI Bill.

3. ggr12

ggr12 . OT Supporter

no luck with the FAFSA and grants? Maybe you're going to have to bite the bullet and take out some student loans.

4. Kafka

Kafka New Member

pics of you?

5. Raisedshoulder

Raisedshoulder Some Blode.

I don't know if this is possible but what if you want to rejoin the Army as an officer? You could try ROTC with the SMP but I don't know if they allow you to combine the ROTC scholarship with the GI bill.

6. mothafknCHARLIEnshit

mothafknCHARLIEnshit omghi2u

posting in an ashley thread.