SRS Scary stuff...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Indagator, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Indagator

Indagator Twist of Cain

So, last night after going to bed, I'm laying there trying to sleep. At some point, at the edge of sleep...it got really, really lightheaded, and couldn't "feel" my heartbeat anymore. Alarmed, I jumped up and started walking around, taking deep breaths, etc. I felt all tight in the chest and my arms were tingly. I got scared enough to call 911. The ambulance got here, and they came in and checked my blood pressure/pulse, and asked a lot of questions concerning stress, allergies, food i've been eating etc. I told them I thought I was having a heart attack, but they said that they were finding no symptoms of such, and kept up the questioning about stress. Anyway, overtime with them there, I started relaxing...and felt fine :dunno: .

Although I'm going to my doctor on monday to get checked out (I have family history of heart disease, and I've been smoking for 9 years), I'm thinking I'm having panic attacks. I'm not sure why persay, but it fits the description. Anyway, that was some scary stuff. I felt like I was going to die. Either way, to hell with smoking...I'm done with that. It's time for me to take my arse back to the gym too :bigthumb: . Wish me luck on it being panic attacks, and not something else :noes: .

2. Indagator

Indagator Twist of Cain

Thanks Glassuser :). I just had an "attack" a little while ago, and tried to relax (muscularly) and control my breathing. Over time it passed. I really hope it's just panic attacks, but I'll find out for sure soon. Though I have theories as to where my depression stems from, I'm really clueless about the panic :wtc: . It's just scary to feel that way, even more so than depression because the panic is more immediate. If it *is* panic, then I'll go ahead and try medication. In the past with depression I just used cognitive therapy, and that works. I'm kind of worried though if it is panic, because I'm not sure where it's stemming from. This sucks arse, and I hope I can find the source sometime. I'm not worried about it happening in public or anything (yet at least), but I hate the feeling of dread. Thanks again for the good luck wishes :) .

3. kakariko

kakariko Purple Member OT Supporter

definatially sounds like you had a panic attack.. i have them chronically and they're not fun.. don't let them get to you or you'll run into problems..

my panic attacks just started out of thin air.. it doesn't really stem from anything..

don't become preoccupied with it or i will be a lot harder to get over.. i'm taking effexor (an SSRI) for it daily as well as clonazepam (a benzo) as needed

get better man

4. Bleed

Bleed New Member

it sounds like you had a panic attack. go see a doctor and if it persits you may need medication.

5. Nightshade

Nightshade New Member

man, you sound fairly bright ...

so what are you doing smoking anyways??

aren't you worried about your health??

anyways, man ... seeing as your family has a history of heart disease, it might be a rather smart idea to lay off the smoking forever, so that your heart can reject all the shit built up in there, and your life can progressively smoothen out, and look better in the long run!!

also, just curious, but are you big boned?? just curious ...

:wavey:

6. K e N

K e N New Member

lol you knew your family has some heart history and personally is afraid if anything might happen. Quit smoking buddy, you would be more confident with life then.

7. Indagator

Indagator Twist of Cain

Oh, I'm quitting smoking now. It was enough to shock some sense into me. I've not had a craving since that attack and have no plans to pick up another cig, ever. As far as my build goes, I'm 6'2", 205 lbs. Not really "big-boned" but not a small dude either. :dunno:

8. The Mighty Megatron

The Mighty Megatron Secondborn of the best drummer known to man

Good that you're laying off the smoking. Good luck with that.

Like GlassUser said, though, you'd know if it was a heart attack.

If you start to feel pains that start in your left arm or the left side of your chest and then you feel pains in your jaw, CALL AN AMBULANCE. It's hard to tell if it's an attack at the first stage of pains, but once it spreads to your jaw, that's when you know it's on. Good luck, man, with everything.

9. Nightshade

Nightshade New Member

look here for a body mass index:

http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/av.htm

it will pretty much give you a guideline to your health, and how you are going ...

trying your figures, it doesn't appear that you are as healthy as you could be ...

also, I am giving you a pre-warning ... cold-turkey is HARD!!

you had better brace yourself for it!! because over the next week or so, it will hit you for cravings ... but you need to stand your ground!!

just say no to smoko!! :big grin:

but, yeah, man ... so, do you go to the gym or do much exercise?? :wavey:

10. Indagator

Indagator Twist of Cain

According to BMI, I could stand to lose about 10 lbs. I've not been to the gym in a few years now, but will be getting a membership this week methinks. I do walk regularly, I used to run ALOT, but cut that down a bit because of the crap it was doing to my knees...I'd be amazed if I had much cartilidge left really.

As far as smoking goes, it's been since Friday now, and I still have had no cravings. I think quitting cold turkey will be a bit easier for me for two reasons. One being having the bejebus scared out of me. Two being, I'm a naturally rebellious bastard :bigthumb:, so knowing that it's supposed to be difficult to do so only adds fuel to the fire :rofl: . Honestly, I expect to have some kind of craving sometime, but to hell with smoking. I'll find something else to occupy my time :bigthumb: .

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone :).

11. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Good for you.

Running used to kill my knees as well. If you plan on taking that again I'd recommend starting slow.... get proper running shoes (find a place that has actual people who can determine how you run and find you a pair of running shoes to match your style) and then while you run concentrate on forward movement rather then bounding up and down. If possible, tread in smaller strides...

When I first picked it up again this time I ran on the treadmills at the gym to cushion the impact a little and condition the leg & back muscles for support.

That's how I finally was able to circumvent the runner's knees this time around and now it's been 2 years and counting since I felt any problems.

Good luck.

12. Indagator

Indagator Twist of Cain

Something I'd never used before, and I know it's kind of off-topic, but do you think maybe some knee-braces to start would help? I mean until I get my form right again I guess. The main thing I'm not looking forward to is the inevitable shin-splints I'll get :wtc: . Other than that, I'll just start slow...like brisk walking or something to re-strengthen a bit, then maybe jogging and such a bit later. It's just that this "occurance" has made me realize my mortality and how quickly you can get so fragle :rofl: . Man, ten years ago I was in the best shape of my life. I was like 6'2", 190lbs, benching 280, squatting 475...I ran everywhere. It was a small town so the gym was only like a mile away, so I just ran there for warmup and ran back for cooldown :dunno: . If I didn't have to be "clean" and stuff, I'd opt to run in place of driving just because it really didn't take me long to get there.

Younger guys take note. Screwing around too much in your 20's can fook you up eventually. Don't be stupid like I've been :uh:. This is going to take some work, but honestly I think I'll enjoy it :). I used to love having such an active lifestyle before :love: . Thanks again for the well wishes :).

*edit*

Spelling > me

13. Nightshade

Nightshade New Member

there is an old saying about taking care of yourself first, and then taking care of others ...

sounds like you have been putting others before yourself, which puts you in danger ... thoughtful, but, in some ways, thoughtless ... :mamoru:

keep up the good work, champ ... and just take it slow!! no need to rush!! get your fitness back gradually, by dieting, and exercising properly ... maybe get a personal trainer and a dietician to help you, maybe??

:wavey:

14. Indagator

Indagator Twist of Cain

Yowch, just had another panic attack. At least this time, I saw more of the signs coming on and stuff ahead of time though (lots of tension in the back of my neck, down along shoulders and back a little). I felt that immediate jolt of adrenaline out of nowhere and started breathing excersies. It almost immediately started fading off as soon as I started with the breathing. I'm still really tense though, and I need to get to sleep for work in the morning :wtc: . Why the hell does this stuff just come out of nowhere like that? o_O. If this is going to pop up out of nowhere while I'm at work and stuff I'm thinking I'm going to need medication :sad2: .

15. Cougar2k

Cougar2k New Member

Same things happened to me. As you experience a few more, you'll probably gain more and more confidence, and maybe not have them at all once you realize that you can control them. At least that was the case with me. Good luck!