SRS scared to go out

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sdubz, Jan 29, 2009.

1. sdubz

sdubz New Member

i live in a big city and there are a lot of thugs that roam the streets...i dread going anywhere outside my apartment ...what can i do to ease this shit? i dont have a car so i take the bus ...my roommate has already been punched in the face before HA

2. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

defense. An easy start is mace/pepper spray. the more potent the better.

A good brand that a few cyclists I know use on dogs is called "Punch II fog burst"

try that out.

other options include concealed handgun, jewlery, etc

3. Slickismax

Slickismax New Member

[​IMG]

Although you may want to check your local laws about carrying one. They are illegal in some state.

4. Pwen

Pwen Guest

Do things during the day and keep your eyes peeled.

In bad places like that sometimes you have to face some bad shit. I was parked in a convienience store one time and a guy rushed up from behind my car and opened my door demanding my money with a gun in my face. I told him I didn't have any (lie, lying can be dangerous in these circumstances) and was saved by my friend coming out and dialing 911. The guy left swearing and throwing gang signs.

So, take a buddy with you, roll as deep as possible son.

I was robbed at gunpoint working at a gas station on graveyard shift. Two guys with guns came in and stormed the fucking place. I happily gave them the money and got fired a week later.

5. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

If you want pepper spray, Sabre Red is hard to beat. Pepper spray can be extremely effective, but there are those who aren't affected by it enough to save you - maybe only to really piss them off.

If you want a pistol, you'd better be damned sure you know how, and are willing, to use it. These tools for self-defense... with increased potency comes increased liability if you do the wrong thing (e.g. shooting a guy who demands your wallet, but is unarmed).

Martial arts and the like are good, but take years of dedication and practice to really be useful. I'd stay away from things like knives and batons (see above) for that reason - you don't know how to use them properly.

A couple things you can do... keep your cell in hand if you start to get nervous. Make it known that your phone is out, bad guys will see you as being quick to dial 911. This is, of course, best if you have a fairly boring phone. If you've got the newest hotness in iPhones, you might get jacked for it. Move during the day, keep friends with you, do your errands together or whatever. Let people know what you're doing, too, so that if something does happen, people will get a clue sooner rather than later.

I have to ask, have you considered moving?

6. Deadhead9150

Deadhead9150 Banned

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live? There are quite a few things that you can do living in a big city to keep yourself safe. You definitely have to learn how to act when you're in a big city and know where you can go and where you can't. I've been living in NYC since before I got into HS and you learn pretty quickly where you can be and can't be. A few tips
    1. Don't be anywhere late at night that there aren't people around. If you're on a busy street with lots of cars and people walking, you're okay. DON'T go walking on some quiet cross street because it's faster or whatever. Stick to the well traveled streets.
    2. know what neighborhoods you should be in and the one's you shouldn't be in. Not to be racist but if you're white, there are some minority neighborhoods you definitely want to avoid ESPECIALLY if you don't know the local gang scenarios as to what colors you might be wearing that you wouldn't want to.
    3. If it's late at night, don't keep all your money in one place. Keep some money in your wallet but only what you're going to need at any one time. The rest of it should be in an inside pocket of a coat or somewhere else.
    4. Watch your wallet. If someone bumps you, check your wallet. That's how pickpockets work. So if you get bumped into or nudged or whatever, just take a quick check to see if your wallet is still in your pocket. If you're on a crowded subway/bus, just keep your hand in your pocket.
    5. Your money and items aren't worth your life. Don't be the hero. If someone comes up to you with a gun or something, just cooperate and let your shit go, you can buy it again. People don't usually go around looking to fuck some random person up. They're either looking for money, or you're doing something wrong. Like if you're in a crip neighborhood and you're wearing red, you're gonna get fucked up. Random acts of violence are rare.

7. sdubz

sdubz New Member

i live in sf and go to school out here and am definitely moving to another location after this lease is up. i try to not look anybody in the eye but i see people muggin sometimes. thanks for the advice and keep it coming :x:

when my roommate was punched in the face it was pretty random as we were just walking down the street and another of my friend was walking to school and some dude walked by him and punched him in the face as well...for no apparent reason to us.
    any ideas why?

8. Deadhead9150

Deadhead9150 Banned

No, and that sounds absurd. Were you in a minority community? Were the people who attacked you wearing a specific color. Watch who walks around in the neighborhood you live in, I'm assuming it's pretty ghetto. If they're all wearing red, you probably don't want to wear blue and vice versa. I'd keep to wearing neutral colors like browns, tans, blacks, and other colors like that. You don't have to be decked out in beige but a neutral coat/scarf/etc should keep you pretty clean. A random swing though, that doesn't make any sense. Normally they'd either beat the shit out of you or something, I've never heard of someone randomly getting swung at once and that being it. The point of this, and I forgot you probably don't understand, is you don't want to be wearing the colors of a rival gang. A specific gang probably controls your neighborhood and they identify themselves and other gang members by the colors they are wearing. I don't know all the gang colors but if you see an awful lot of one color, you should be able to google it and figure out what gang is controlling it. Basically, you should be fine unless it's like MS13 or something in which case get the fuck out of the neighborhood ASAP. Just be aware of your surroundings, it's extremely important in a big city.

If you're coming from a small town or what not, there isn't a lot of that "looking out for each other" sort of mindset. You have to take charge of your own safety and that means learning about the people who are around you.

9. projectalpha

projectalpha 二號 Stunna

Do you live in the TL? Fillmore? Bayview/hunters point?

10. sp4rkle

sp4rkle New Member

Don't arm yourself - you'll end up hurting someone or, more likely, a bad person will get your weapon from you and hurt YOU with it.

Either way don't arm yourself, at best it can give you false confidence.

Far better for you to move if you are so worried about the area you're in.

11. sdubz

sdubz New Member

near fillmore...are you in sf?

12. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Pull out your gat, tell em "Bace yo' self nigga." Then kick em' in the back, and push there wig back, with a rat tat tat.

Then steal their wallet, keys, watch, credit cards and nikes .

Oh wait, you're the one afraid of getting mugged, sorry, I thought you was the criminal in training....yo.

P.S. Aim for the nuts, most of them aren't bright enough to wear a cup. Teehee

13. Pwen

Pwen Guest

I can't resist telling everyone how much I hate pickpockets. I will go the fuck off on a pickpocket.

14. projectalpha

projectalpha 二號 Stunna

I work in SF. I lived in SF last year. Anyhow, even in that area, you shouldn't be afraid to go out. What happened to your friend aren't everyday occurrences. If you feel it's that bad, why don't you move? I guess I'm going to assume you live near the projects in fillmore?