Scapula Stability?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Skeletor, Nov 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Basically my problem is keeping my scapulas (scapulii?) stable when lifting. If I try to bring my shoulders through full range of motion or even just reach for something far away, I have a tendency to extend my scapula away and in front of me to increase my reach, which I know is a horrible thing to do. I'm pretty aware of it these days because I'm much more conscious about how I move in daily life, however I need to increase the strength of whatever muscles stabilize the scapula for lifting purposes (especially with the DL).

What are some good exercises that I can incorporate into my routine to really target those muscles? I've been told that it's probably the lower traps especially that need strengthening, however the exercises I've been shown are too light to really have an effect on scapula stabilization when I'm doing something like DL's where I need a lot of strength to stabilize. What I have been doing that I'm really liking so far are the "shoulder dislocates" that I read about here... Those seem to be helping a good deal, as well as improving the mobility of my shoulders themselves, but still aren't showing a huge difference when I do higher weight stuff.

Any suggestions or advice is very much appreciated...

2. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

and yes, I'm back :o

3. jessb20hatch

jessb20hatch Let's bang like Myosin & Actin

does your scapula wing out when your standing neutral? any pain in the shoulder region??

4. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

get the Inside Out dvd/manual

5. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

They do kind of "roll forward" if I'm not consciously holding them in place. Lots of stretching of my chest and delts seems to help counter this and allow them to rest in a more natural position.

Never any pain.

6. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

$115 :wtc: I can't afford it.

7. jessb20hatch

if the inferior part of the scapula wings out or doesn't seem to lay flat against the rib cage then that's serratus anterior weakness. Yep keep stretching...my fave is the doorway stretch.

8. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

That's exactly what my mom says (she's a biofeedback therapist), but all the stuff she shows me is rehabilitative stuff or daily movement stuff (that's what really helps)... but nothing that improves my ability to stabilize when I'm lifting.

and :werd: doorway stretch is awesome.

9. jessb20hatch

what is it?? some kind of interactive anatomy tutorial??

10. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

I have the same problem, to a certain extent. What are some things that can target the lower traps?

11. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

12. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

lots of rows (focusing on scapular retraction), snatch grip deadlifts, prone trap raises, prone cobras (held for time)

13. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:cool: I wil focus on these. thanks.

14. jessb20hatch

honestly it's probably gonna be more of a mental awareness thing which it sounds like you understand...if you have a well rounded lifting program then you should be hitting this areas pretty good already...traps...rhomboids...ect. just pay attention to your form...and even just concentrating on holding that scapula in place during the lift will increase the strength.

15. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

This has been helping so far, and will probably eventually even it out. What's really helped by doing this is DB rows, but if I go to heavy they kind of crap out, so I'm doing more hypertrophy stuff than strength for those so that I can work the lower traps a little better without making them crap out.

I guess I'll just keep working on it, and I'll also start doing snatch grips instead of shoulder-width (usually a little wider though). Thanks for the help and advice Jess and Ceaze.

16. jessb20hatch

what worked awesome for me was doing rows but at ever angle on the cable..down from up high, neutral, then pulling from down low....the pulling from up high targets the lower trap fibers.

17. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

do lots of rows and focus on using your back/scapular retraction like mentioned. its very easy

18. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

If the bottom of your scapula wings out, I'll bet it's more to do with tight pecs than it is with weakness. Hold your arm at 90° against a wall and breathe out. If you can feel it stretch, your pec minor is tight and because of where it attaches to the scapula, it's pulling it forwards.

19. jessb20hatch

that would have to be one hell of a tight pec minor to wing a scapula up...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.