Scanning old pictures and taking old VHS movies and putting them on the computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Budha, May 20, 2007.

1. Budha

Budha Guest

Ok guys, Its about time that I do this huge project for my parents. They basically want all of our old pictures scanned, and all old camcorder and VHS home movies put on the computer and put on DVD's.

My question is this, what is the best way of going about this. I have a scanner, what would be the appropriate scan settings, dpi etc? They will be viewed on the computer and on slide show DVD's on a TV for public viewing.

As for the video. Is there like a little capture card that can just have the VCR plug into a USB adapter, and have the usb go into my computer? IF anyone has done this before can you please give me some insight on the most productive way you did this?

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.

2. negative zero

negative zero New Member

JUst did this for my mom a week ago. BUt my way is a little more $$ probably. We got a new conference room at work complete with 42" plasma, projector, surround sound, etc. and it just so happens it had a panasonic vhs/dvd player. I took my tape and a blank dvd. Pressed about 2 or 3 buttons, came back in a hour or so and it was done.

3. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

get a photo scanner and scan them one at a time or place them on the platen glass and then cut them apart.

the friction pad in dcument feeders will destroy a photograph. It will not do it every time, but it will when you want it least.

You can scan at what ever resolution you want. most scanners and computers will rip the image at what ever resolution you want so that is a mute point.

4. Budha

Budha Guest

The reason I asked the resolution is because I want a happy medium. A high quality scan, but without a massive file.

5. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

if it was my project.

If this is to make a permanent record of the photographs I would scan them at the highest level you can. that way you have a permanent record of every detail of the picture. you could later resize, or change the resolution to put them on another media for the slide show CD or what ever.

My thinking is that in ten years when you go back to look at these you do not know what the technology will be and it is best to have the most up to date settings and data at he time to convert from. If you would look at ten years ago compared to today, that is my point.

you can always convert them to lower resolution or bit or 8 bit color. but you can never go up. In my opinion if these are cherished family photographs you would want to save the most detail and color depth you can at the time you scan them for the future.

6. Budha

Budha Guest

copier and everyone else, thanks for the input.

What DPI do you suggest I scan them at to get the most detail?