A&P Scanning negatives?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by GregFarz78, Nov 13, 2007.

1. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

My parents have a bunch of old childhood photos, not sure what kind of camera they were taken with probably an old 35mm film camera. I want to take some of the negatives and scan them is it cheaper/better just to take them somewhere or invest in a negative scanner?

2. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

depending on how many you were going to scan, it would be cheaper to just buy a good dedicated negative scanner... it's a lot more time consuming, but you've got more control over the final outcome.

3. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Buy a scanner. I have seen the Nikon scanners used for under 200 bucks. If you have a lot to do it will save you in the long run. Most places around here charge 3-8 bucks each for a slide scan.

4. mojito

mojito New Member

will you use it after?
    a decent one is still a lot of money, and cheap ones, well just look cheap when its scanned.

my local pro photo store rents high end ones for like $45 for the weekend. I'd do that personally and outsourcing it is not cheap either.

5. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

I probably wouldn't use it after no, I would just like to get a lot of those pics in digital form to archive and maybe clean up a few and print out. The renting option sounds pretty good I wouldn't mind spending $50-75 to rent one since it would be a one time deal.

6. planb

planb itches in my teeth

you can get a decent epson scanner refurbished for just under $100, shipped. After reading a lot of comments on flickr about which nice-priced film scanner to buy, its the one I decided to go with.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=63060806

Go on flickr and do a search for epson 4490 to see sample scans and read reviews and criticisms before you pull the trigger though.

Here is one of my scans; its ektachrome slide film, but same principle: (I think I scanned this at 2400 dpi, then reduced the size by half in photoshop...)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  7. kristin

kristin my dog > *

I heard on the radio some great reviews for the one planb just posted about. As far as consumer end scanners, he said that your best bet is to go with that Epson, or a lower end Canon. :dunno:

8. anthem404

anthem404 not my cup of mud

9. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

10. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007