scanner connected to my network

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by michelin man, Mar 1, 2007.

1. michelin man

michelin man IDB Construction

any ideas on a good scanner that i can connect to my network.

i'm wanting to scan docs and save them to a local and network drive.

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

why not just connect a scanner to a pc and save it to the network from there?

it's not like you'd be able to remotely scan something anyways, you'd still have to be right next to the scanner to position it etc

3. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I know Ricoh and Avision make them. But how much do you want to pay? I'm not very familiar with them but I'm sure they are not cheap. A lot of the new multifunction copiers can scan a document and save it to a file share or email it to a user. Again though: not cheap.

4. michelin man

true

i need one that i can load a stack of documents on and let it run.

i'm trying to get away from having stacks of paper around my home office.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Our Ricoh multifunction does that. It's really a great feature, but $$$

6. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Here we lease machines from a local company that have network fax/scan and document management built in, they are Savin 4022sp models. Scan to a central server, scan to email, scan to a share on an individuals machine, lots of scan options. Desktop faxing ability too but we have a seperate network fax device so that's not a big deal to our users. You have to have a windows/samba share setup, they won't access a Novell share, just in case. Ours are big, not sure of the $$$ but fairly easy to setup. Hope that helps. :big grin:

7. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

color or black and white? what kind of volume are we talking?

http://www.usa.canon.com/opd/controller?act=OPDModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=2181&modelid=14598

base model starts at around a grand but to print/copy/scan/push documents on your network in a small package.

Savin was purchased by ricoh some years ago as well as lanier. copier companies are weird like that. They will sell a brand with less features with the same print engine for less money. Its a hard industry to compete in,

8. michelin man

wow, i thought i could get away with spending a few hundred.

guess i'll make a trip to the land of fry's this weekend.

9. copiertalk

You may be able to. I deal with the business side of the canon line so I do not have much access to the PC side. Pull scanning is pretty cheap but if you want it to make a PDF file and dump it to a directory from the machine you may have to spend a few dollars.

Do a search for push scanning and look at your options. I mostly deal with large boxes so my experience is limited to what I pick up and hear around the shop and from what I hear those are nice.

Konica, kyocera, ricoh..... alll may have simular machines and may be cheaper.

10. copiertalk

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=125&modelid=10561

This one makes you think it is network ready, but you can print and fax by network but if you want to san it is usb only.

If we are talking 10-100 documents a month, go and purchase what ever scanner/printer/fax and convert to pdf. If you are talking more than a couple hundred documents than your time is more expensive than that, buy a device that will do it for you.

11. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I have an HP OfficeJet all-in-one connected to my network via a JetDirect. Works nicely (although, IIRC, the HP drivers under Windows/Mac don't let you use the scanner over the network).

12. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I've installed a few HP Officejets and Brother all in one's that do that. They plug into the Ethernet and once you load the software on each PC, you can scan over the network. Both can pull the docs from the PC like any scanner and I believe the Brother could push from the scanner to the PC. You push the scan button and select which PC you want it sent to.

13. copiertalk

I had one customer that was kind of smart in a way. they purchased an all in one that would scan to email. she simply emailed her self alll her scanned documents. This would depend on document size and how much your web host would allow for an attachment. Some will even do pdf where it converts it to pdf and then emails it to you.

There are many options and many ways to do the same thing.

Most of my customers hate pull scanning as they have to run back and forth from the device to their computer and back to the device to get their documents back. They then have to convert it to a format that can be read by everyone.

People love push scanning, They simply pick the network share out they want to drop the document into and send it in pdf format. These are fantastic but a little expensive. I am starting to sound like a sales person instead of a tech so I am going to shut up now.

14. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Kinda funny you mentioned this, I didn't know that but we all commented on how this year's Savins that replaced last year Laniers looked the same and had identical menus and such. :hs:

15. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

do you already have a printer?

if so linksys makes print server for usb printer

16. copiertalk

Kyocera bought mita

and

minolta purchased konica that was royal that was royal adler that was......

all in the same time frame, that last few years.

document management is a brutal industry and companies are buying one another left and right. I am not sure how the industry will go or I would invest in the one I thought would come out on top.

Yes, your savin and your lanier are made by the same company, Ricoh

I can pull a couple boards, flash the proms and your machine will say what ever manufactuer I want it it say. Ricoh is considered top of the line expensive but savin and gestetner are sub brands with less features. lanier is to be the service side when all is said and done. It will never happen.

I wish I knew someone that knew linux that well as I have a couple of projects for them.

17. copiertalk

Although a print server does have bi-directional communication, twain scanning is not an option on external models.

It is on internal, as they are made for a specific model printer, but for the ones you can for generic scanners, the ports are not set and setting them up is a problem. you can do it, but is it cosr effective?

18. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

for some reason i thought he said printer :doh: my bad

19. copiertalk

he did, he is looking for an all in one that will handle all of his needs.

Its an honest request as there are alot to choose from. you just have to pick what features you need and what they can do.

20. michelin man

never owned one...

i went to frys this weekend and found some all-in-one options for around $150.

i need to do a little more looking