GUN SBR Registration Question: Texas

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Faikius, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Faikius

Faikius OT Supporter

I'm considering building up an AR-based SBR but really don't know where to begin. I have a CMMG lower and would like to purchase a matching 11.5'' upper to complete the build.

I've been told that I need to register the lower as an SBR first but where do I start?

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I believe you can get the forms you'll need off the ATF site, you would have to get your chief LEO to sign off on it, send it the forms, your finger print cards, and your $200 check then wait.

3. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

First thing I would do would be call the NFA branch and tell them to mail you a Form 1 (Application to Make and Register a Firearm) packet. They mail it free of charge and include everything you'll need. Instructions, 2 Form 1s, finger print cards etc.

After you receive your packet, fill out the necessary information on the Form 1. Get both of your fingerprint cards and 2 passport photos done. Tape each passport photo to each Form 1.

The tricky part (for most) is here, you have to find a Chief Law Enforcement Official that has jurisdiction over the place in which you reside to sign the back of the Form 1. This person can be the Chief of Police, Sheriff, District Judge, Chief State Police etc.

Once you have the signature. Mail the Completed Form 1, both fingerprint cards and a $200 check to the ATF. Wait a couple 3-6 weeks and the paperwork will be returned to you at which time you can build your rifle.

If you cannot get a CLEO signature on these forms, you can create a trust. The trust bypasses the signature, photos, and fingerprint cards. Some prefer the trust route other get the signature. I do whatever is easiest as they both accomplish the same thing.

4. Faikius

Faikius OT Supporter

Thanks for the tips. I've heard the trust route mentioned before and may end up going that way. I'm in Harris county and have no idea where to begin on the CLEO signature...

5. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Yeah, that area is tough from what I hear. Houston isnt the most friendly about guns etc.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  6. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

How does the trust work?

7. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

One creates a revocable living trust using Quicken Willmaker. They designate themselves and whoever else they want as the trustees.

When you fill out the Form 1s or Form 4s etc, you designate the trust as the transferee or maker instead of ones personal self. You mail the ATF forms, $200 check and whatever the ATF requires as proof of the trust etc (declaration of trust or whatever it may be). Wait the same amount of time and then the item is transferred to the trust at which point the trustees are allowed possession.

One could also go about incorporating which basically follows the same process in obtaining the items.

8. Dumbstixlars

So the trust owns the rifle instead of yourself?

9. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Correct

With you placed as a trustee to allow possession etc.

10. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

Also, the trust route fast-tracks the paperwork through the sherrif's office here. From what I've seen atleast.

11. Dumbstixlars

Can you add multiple trustees?

12. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

Yes.

13. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Why does it go through the Sheriffs office? If you're going through the trust route on any NFA item you dont need any LEO official at any part. Unless Houston has some other form of registration for these items and firearms

14. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I have Quicken Willmaker if anyone wants it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  15. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

What do you do once you do the stuff willmaker? I'm assuming you have to goto a lawyer or something then to get it formalized? Whats all the fees for everything run?

16. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

As far as I know, at least in Texas, you dont need a lawyer for any of it.

17. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I have no clue.:dunno:

I downloaded it because I might be creating a trust in the future for this reason. I played around with and made a made-up trust. It might just require a public notary but I'd ask david 4x4 since he's more familiar with NFA goodies.

Edit: Yeah, beaten to the punch.

18. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:cool: Yeah a trust is the route I'll go once I'm in a free state.

19. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

can you elaborate a little bit please?

My brother and I are about to hire an attorney to form an LLC if I can do a trust or free im going that route.

20. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Ive yet to hear of anyone in Texas having to get a lawyer setup to do a trust in making NFA purchases. Most use the documents provided by Willmaker, notarized, and mail of the necessary forms with the ATF forms.

Id do the trust route over an LLC unless you;re disolving some other form of business already in place into the corporation. Corporations cost money yearly, trusts dont. Besides, you can ad your brother and yourself as trustees and can both use the items.

I just bough Willmaker right now, so IM slowly learning about this. I think my Judge is getting a little annoyed by signing me off constantly, so we'll see what happens.

21. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

I just torrented willmaker 07

I hit a wall when it asked me who i want on my incapacitation board, the only people I trust are my dad, brother, mom, and sister I need 3 people and they can't be named as trustees so i dont know where to go so i stopped for the moment.

22. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

are you going to have to pay the nfa tax again to place your items into the trust?

23. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Yeah, Im kind of at a dead wall right now and asking questions on another forum. IM confused as to "item to be transferred into trust". IM not sure if this is the general info of the item, but is this also information that is received from the dealers and something I insert everytime I submit this trust or what.

If I so choose to have my current items into the trust, yes I would have to pay the $200 tax again.

24. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Can you add a person to a trust after you get it approved from the ATF?

25. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Another thing I was curious about. Especially since Im single and get married later on...My assumotion is yes.

Also in Texas, all one needs is to have the trust notarized to complete it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007