GUN SBR laws and requirements to get one

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Bigsnake, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Got a stripped lower for an AR and am thinking of building an M4 w/ the 14.5" barrel.

Going to be awhile until I fully complete it so I'm wanting to look into what is required to get and maintain the paperwork to have an SBR. Where can I look for laws, requirements, etc.?

Been googling but can't find anything, probably because I'm not sure what's the best terminology to use to search :o

2. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

Well are you moving to Texas or going back to Louisianna?

3. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

an M4 with a 14.5" barrel IS NOT worth getting a tax stamp for. just go w/ a 14.5" barrel with perm attached flash hider. why would you pay 200 bucks and wait 4 months to get a barrel that totals 16" when you can just buy one w/ a perm attached for so much cheaper? SBR is only worth it if you're going a lot shorter.

4. striker754

striker754 Chillin

Have to submit to ATF, pay 200, wait for your paperwork to come back. Engrave your gun and keep a copy of the paperwork with the gun all times. You have to be with the gun whenever someone uses it, you have to notify atf if you move, etc.

its pretty shitty

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

QFT

$200 for 1.5" is not worth it, just permamently attach a muzzle device or go 11.5 and make it worth it.

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

No, SBR's dont have to be registered as a SBR off the bat, your thinking of pistol or rifle, once a rifle always a rifle, and once a pistol always a pistol.

7. striker754

striker754 Chillin

Once a pistol always a pistol is not true. You can add a stock to make it a rifle, SBR, etc. You just can't make a rifle into a pistol.

On the SBR forms, you must specify barrel length and caliber.

8. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

i don't think u can change a pistol lower into anything but a pistol. you have to make an SBR out of a rifle.

9. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thinking about it more he maybe, right I've seen kits for sale where you put your glock/1911/hk frame onto a rifle setup, and its supposed to be legal.

10. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I was reading last night and on the Form 4 you just register the weapon as a rifle with a barrel less than 16" or a rifle with an overall length shorter than 26" and a barrel less than 16". You could get a 11.5" upper on there if you wanted to also.

The new form appears that you can only list one Caliber for the rifle to be in. The Form 4 I was also reading was to make the lower into an SBR.

Anyone have pics of a AR-15 w/ the 11.5" barrel, the 14.5" barrel and the 14.5" barrel w/ perm attached flash hider to make it 16"?

11. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

I see those on gunbroker all the time but they look like to total crap. Know of anyone that has tried them out before?

12. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nope I've seen them there too, dont know of a single person who's got one, can't even recall reading any threads anywhere online about someone who bought one :dunno: If I didn't already have a 9mm AR, I suppose it'de be something to think about. All you need is the new slide/barrel assembly thing and nothing else to buy use mags you already have guess it'de be kinda nice but reliability? :dunno:

13. DSMTuning

DSMTuning New Member

isnt this why they sell the pistol lower receivers??? i thought it was a loophole for bypassing the tax stamp with a shorter barrel... i know theres a shop down here thats selling an ar with the 11.5" barrel on it and i mentioned having to get a tax stamp for it and he said not to worry about it

14. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

you cannt put a stock on a pistol AR lower though.
    Fucking ATF is retarded the way they make up rules.

15. RRTX

RRTX New Member

Yes you can, as long as you put a 16" or longer barrel on it first. A pistol can be switched back and forth from pistol to rifle as much as you want, as long as the 16+" barrel is attached before you put a stock on it. That is why the Mech-tech carbine conversion units for glocks, 1911's, etc. are perfectly legal. If you have a reciever that was originally a rifle you cannot make it a pistol though without it being registered as an SBR.

16. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Should of been more specific yeah I know it can have a stock if you put a 16"+ upper on it, once its in rifle config you can do anything you want to it that you could do to a rifle, I meant no stock w/ 10.5 upper if its a pistol lower, also cannt put forward grips on it unless its setup as a rifle.

17. striker754

striker754 Chillin

This shit is gay. Hopefully one of the senators I meet with will start a bill after I tell them how much bullshit this is.

18. striker754

striker754 Chillin

I should make a thread on what I should talk to the senators about. I have some good ideas, but more brains are always helpful

19. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Good luck, even if yours goes for it theres still a bunch of other libtard senators out there who will vote against any bills that give us more firearms rights.

20. striker754

striker754 Chillin

*shrug*

Perhaps they would be interested in using common sense to communicate with other senators and maybe others would see the light, and cooch kick feinstein and kennedy.

21. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Here's the deal with SBR's. I need to mail my Form 1 off, thanks for reminding me.

When you fill it out, you must SPECIFY what caliber and what barrel length. People used to get away with the '<16''' thing for barrel length, and they used to be able to make generalized caliber measurements as well. The ATF doesn't allow that anymore. What you do, however, is send in your Form 1 or 4 or whatever, with the specific numbers. You don't even have to have your tax stamp yet to do this, but the next step is to send a letter to the ATF informing them that you'd like to amend your form to include another barrel length or caliber. I do not know if you have to use one letter per amendment, or if you can list several amendments in one letter. I'll be doing it, though, so I'll find out.

As someone wisely pointed out, an AR pistol with the short barrel cannot get a stock without being an illegal SBR. If you put a 16" barrel on an AR pistol WITHOUT a stock, however, you are likely to make an illegal rifle due to overall length requirements. Just be cautious when playing with NFA laws.

About 14.5" barrels: My intent with this barrel is to have a midlength 16" cut to 14.5", and put an AAC flash hider on it. The reason I want to SBR it is twofold. Number one, I hate permanently pinned FH's just on principle. Secondly, you can always buy other uppers later on down the road, even if you start with a 14.5" upper. Rarely does an SBR owner just own ONE SBR upper. I want a 14.5" as my all-around, do-everything upper. It's a compromise in every field, but it'll be reliable and more portable than a 16" with a FH on it. It'll still have decent effective range, it'll be lighter, the midlength will be more reliable, and I'll still be able to slap shorter uppers on it. My second upper will be an 11.5" upper for home, but you've got to start somewhere.

22. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

When did this change? One of the guys I shoot with regularly, JUST (last week) got his forms approved, and he filled them out saying "0-16" and ".17-.50" ....:eek3:

23. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

What is the overall length of an AR-15 with a collapsable stock and a 16" barrel w/ no flash hider? I was considering doing this instead of an SBR w/ a 14.5" barrel if it'll be legal and not have to have a tax stamp. I figure the $200 will be better spent on the rifle right now and later on down the road I'll get the Tax Stamp to build my 14.5" rifle and maybe get a 11.5" barrel as well.

24. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

People have been getting Form 1's for SBR's back for months now when putting a range of barrel lengths and calibers on there. Shit, ATF sent one back to my friend for not putting his county in the big address space, even though there's a block later on in the form for your county of residence. They're really fucking picky and retarded. For intended purpose, though, you can be general. Mine was, "Any legal purpose."