SBF v.s. SBC

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by matrix243, Aug 14, 2003.

1. matrix243

matrix243 My body, is ready.

Another age old argument. On build-ups, dollar for dollar, does one have a significant advantage over the other? I'd be inclined to say NO.

I bring this up because I just recently saw a prostreet 48 F-1 with yet another 350. The only real advantage that I can see is the availability of used parts, because 350's came in practically everything.

I remember seeing a comparo in Hot Rod magazine, title "Low Buck Shootout" between a 351 Windsor and a 350. The 350 did come out below the cost allowance, but for the extra cost of ~$400 for the windsor, it made signifcantly higher horsepower numbers. Does anyone remember seeing this article, or any others?

2. chevy all the way. There is a reason alot of the ford hot rod guys use a chevy power plant ;) :big grin:

3. matrix243

Mmmmya, good point. :rolleyes:

4. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

They both have about the same aftermarket/potential. Basically anything you can do to one you can do to the other. The 350 is more common than a 351/302, but thats about the only thing that gives it any sort of advantage.

5. Jonjolt

Jonjolt Guest

MOPAR, would win if it wasn't for hotrocker (www.hotrocker.com) not producing its VVT kit for the small block Mopars. But Mopar has the edge over any Ford and Chevy because a new start up company just started producing small block hemi heads :)

6. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

youll never get a good answer. everyone has thier own bias. I am beginning to see more ford engines in ford street rods though which is a good thing. It is probably because there are like eleven billion 350's out there and not as many 351/302's though there are still quite a few.

You can make insane power with either engines IMO. Ill take Ford :)

7. shanker

shanker unemployed

my vote goes for the Mopar 340 or 360

BUT hot rod guys use SBC's because the engine is SMALLER in size than the other SB's and they have less fitment issues.

8. matrix243

I personally always thought that Mopar motors always looked kind of lopsided and unappealing, with there funky valve covers, intake designs and abnormal blocks. The weirdest design Ford had was their FE's, where the intake merges with the cylinder head. Still looks great though:
    My motor
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. matrix243

I'd have to say the big reason for using SBC is for parts old or new. So many different combinations of accessory brackets, radiator sizes, etc, from their line of trucks through to their line of full size cars.

10. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

The SBC has several build up advantages over other small blocks. They have changed very little since they were introduced, and even since then, many of the parts are still interchangable. They are by far the least expensive to build, since they are also the most commen, with prices ranging anywere from 5%-30% less than other small blocks in the aftermarket. They are also the most simple to build, switched over to integrated HEI, and got rid of the more complex wiring that Ford stuck with. As far as a power advantage goes? There really isn't one over the other. The 350 has a very good rod stroke ratio, larger displacement is good for building torque, but the Ford 302 has a strong block, particularly around the web area. Basicly, if you build them up right, you're not going to go wrong with any of them.

11. Bloke

Bloke Banned

392 hemi
    thats a small block right?

and as far as big blocks i say the 460>454 as far as hp for the dollar goes

12. that's why you build a 540 ;)

13. matrix243

*ding* "that's right!"

887ci BBFs ownz.

14. Bloke

Bloke Banned

whats that the WWII GAA engine?

15. matrix243

stroker engine

16. hahaha this is a funny post..

honeslty i can say either sbf or sbc.. both can be made to make insane power and the aftermarket for both is just about equal.. as for what is seen more, the sbc is, as others have said it was put in damn near anything.. since i own built sbf i woudl just have to say sbf.. but then again others would have to say different

but 8000rpm of 358ci of sbf sounds damn nice in the morning

17. shanker

shanker unemployed

you fucking tool! what about the chevy bottom end?...and stock heads dont flow for shit!

18. bigsteve7

bigsteve7 OT Supporter

:werd:

Go pick up a parts catolgue and compare the Chevy to Ford aftermarket. Theyre both big and extensive, but parts for the Chevy small block are cheaper and a more powerful motor can be built for a lot less than a comparable Ford.

Car Craft asked this same question not too long ago and Chevy won. I'll have to dig it up.

Why is Mopar even mentioned. Both the Ford and Chevy aftermarkets blow the Mopar aftermarket away.

19. matrix243

Thats the point. You need a 4 bolt main sbc block if your looking for reliability. Even car craft/hot rod mag has mentioned the weak bottom end.

20. matrix243

Mmmmno. Not alot less. Lets have some proof here.?

Somewhat apples to oranges but, since Edelbrock is the typical aftermarket bolt-on supplier.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. matrix243

I can hear the chevy guys now, "yeah but its comparing a performer package to the rpm!":big grin: Cost difference is about 150 bucks from Summit.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2003
  22. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

the ford revs higher
    :fawk:
    and has a better power curve
    :hs:
    is that on a gen I 350?

23. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

Still not a really acurate comparision. I know I could build a Chevy engine that could easily compare with the Ford shown in that dyno graph, and make it rev just as high with simular power band, and probably do it for around the same price too. I wouldn't be using Edelbrock heads, or cam though. In fact, I'd probably still use an iron head.

24. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

this thread is funny as shit...

no one has ever taken into consideration another good reason as to why people choose the chevy small block vs. the ford small block...

I mean, a good majority of those hot rods are using stock hoods and such... and clearance wise... well, the chevy distributor just works better when swapping to a V8.

Personal preference, but I'll take the chevy's...
    you don't NEED to have the four bolt main, its just a good idea...
    you also don't NEED a windage tray, but its a good idea.

SBC aftermarket heads are just a lot more impressive than the SBF heads that I've seen...

using edelbrock to compare is kind of stupid, since the only thing edelbrock can make worth a shit is intake manifolds... and even then other people do it for less and a bit better...

as for the person who said 887 stroker BBF ...

well I've got some nice words for you.

950ci BBC ... NON-stroker...

25. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

the ford 302 only rev's higher because thats how it was built...

a chevy 302 or 327 will rev just as high if not beyond that...

its funny that people are talking about stock blocks... everything is just a "350"...

I mean, it couldn't be a 302, 327, 355, 377, 383, 391, 400, 406, 415, 427, 434, or 448 ...

considering they all look pretty much the fucking same and all.... (and yes i'm talking about the small block chevy)