SBC Yahoo DSL..do you recommend it?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by shawn4element, Jan 9, 2004.

1. shawn4element

shawn4element OT Supporter

I am currently a lowly 56k user, in a small town. Monday we got news that DSL was coming, and it's SBC Yahoo. I've read up on it, and am really excited about it.

I just wanted to know if anyone had it, and what they thought of it. I think I'm going to go with the Standard Plus package, 384kb-1.5mb/128kb, for 26.95 a month for a year. It's pretty affordable, and pretty fast (then again anything is fast after 4 years of 56k).

To those who use it, how was the installation? Did you have any big problems? Are you getting the promised speeds? Tell me anything you want about the service, I'm really looking forward to getting it. Thanks.

2. JPrice1485

JPrice1485 New Member

It's pretty decent..just be sure to install a router between the dsl modem and your computer that way you can avoid installing their connection software (the software is awfull). Other than that you should be good. Around here in Oklahoma City, most installations I've done seem to stay between 700kb - 1mb.

3. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

I have had Ameritech DSL (which is now SBC/Yahoo) and have had 99.9%+ of uptime. Speeds are decent... I second JPrice1485 comments, get a router and DO NOT install the PPPOE software.

4. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

can you go into more detail about installing a router to bypass PPPoE software? can this be done for earthlink dsl?

5. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Goto http://www.linksys.com/support/support.asp?spid=69 and take a look for Earthlink. Basically the router takes over the responsibilities of the software that you now have on your PC to authenticate your account. Lets you share your internet connection, serves as a firewall, is always on...no more logging in. And if you look around you can easily find one under $30, well worth the money.

6. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I use SBC yahoo and i get a steady 1.1 Mb down, 128 Kb up
    after the initial setup woes and tweaking i haven't had it go down at all.

7. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yeah the software is the worst I've ever seen. I counted 14 items added to add/remove programs on a Win98 machine. BUT, you create the PPPoE logon name and password during the software install process and there's no selective install. Its either install the crap and create and account or don't install the software and don't have a name and password to access the system with. Pretty shitty. Used to be, they gave you a temporary logon to access their web registration serve and create your account but that ended when they became butt buddies with Yahoo.

8. JPrice1485

JPrice1485 New Member

9. Sam

Sam New Member

Hey, i work at SBC dsl tech support. If you can wait a few more weeks we are going to start shipping the speed stream 5100b. If has PPPoE built into the modem, no pppoe software. :bowdown: I think they said they would start shipping on the 18th of this month, but im not sure.