SBC 400 harmonic damper pics anyone?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Original Sin, May 8, 2005.

1. Original Sin

Original Sin I'm so hood.

OK, so this same thread didn't go over so well in the main OT forum, so I thought I'd try here instead.

I'm heading to the junkyard tomorrow to try to locate a SBC 400, and it would be much easier to identify if I knew exactly what a 400 damper looks like. I know they are slightly indented on one side (compared to a 350), but since I haven't seen one. I may not be able to see the freeze plugs due to the exhaust headers, and serial numbers are likely to be covered in years of dirt & grease.

So does anyone have a pic of what the damper looks like?

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

what do you want a 400 for? those things are pieces of shit

3. Original Sin

400 + .030 over + Vortec heads & intake + Quadrajet = teh win for my K5 Blazer.

It currently has a very tired (182k on it) tbi350 in it, and doesn't tow up hills very well. Rather than building a 350 to put in it, I decided to go bigger w/o going to a big block. And 400s are not shit, unless you get one of the 4bolt versions. The 2bolt versions are great.

4. BrentRS1985

BrentRS1985 Guest

5. Original Sin

6. Bryce

Bryce New Member

7. Original Sin

Isn't the damper the same size as on some 350s, 8" ? So I might see a 350 w/ the same size. And that pic looks like an aftermarket damper. Is that what the stock one will look like?

A pic of an OEM 400 damper would be appreciated :bigthumb:

8. Bryce

Bryce New Member

thats a copy of oem I will take a few pics for you in a sec

9. Bryce

Bryce New Member

Ok Its a single notch and it is the same size I forgot the 400 that balancer is on is actually a 421 and was custom made I took the pics I will pm them to you
    Edit:need host I will email you then you will have to email me then I can send the pics to you lol

10. AcidAngel_5.0

AcidAngel_5.0 Pure 0wnage

a buddy of mine is actually try to sell his 406 or 409 .. cant remmeber which.. it is in his 77 camaro, has prolly 3k miles on it.. just got it out of the machine shop and all but he has to get rid of the car because he was kicked out and need the cash..

11. Original Sin

I don't need an entire motor, I just want the 400 block. I want to build it on my own. Besides, shipping a motor from Atlanta to Oregon would be a somewhat costly event.

12. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i know somebody using a 400 in a truck, it has the shittest low end in the world.

if you want to build an engine u could easily just do a stroker kit.

302,327,350 are all the same bore size, and do a 383(or larger) stroker kit.

Make sure when you get a 400 block you're careful because they can have bore walls too thin and at 30 over the bores could flex. So just keep a careful eye for that sort of thing.

Vortech heads are also going to be a good safe goof proof bet, they are doing better flow than the older era corvette heads. I suggest taking a look at World's Sportsman II heads and getting them fully ported. (if you are looking for performance.)The Sportsman II heads have just about as much potential for making horsepower as any other stock-style 23-degree head out there. (not sure if what u need is a 23-degree set up.) Also Sportsman II heads have decent thickness. They also can be angle milled to substantial quantities, thus allowing high compression ratios to be achieve with a minimal piston crown.

If you have any questions about parts and procedures regarding an SBC i know a bit about them myself and have a lot of resources sitting around me, I just dont like the 400s very much.

As far as 400 ID goes and some info..

There should be 3 freeze plugs on the outside of the block rather than 2. To accomodate the larger bore at the same bore centeres, it was neccasary to delete the intercylinder water jacketing common to all other blocks except Bowtie blocks. There will be larger main bearings as well. If there is grease covering up the numbers on the block make sure you have some degreaser with you, any decent junkyard will let you inspect the block as you see fit, and cleaning off some grease isnt going to offend them and their oily overalls.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2005
  13. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

400s actualy got a bad rep for a stupid reason. Guys would bore them over, slap new heads on them, rebuild, ect, and in the process they would of course use a new head gasket for SBCs. Problem is the 400s, have an extra coolant hole, wich is not punched on regular SBC head gaskets. The results were overheating, blow gaskets and even cracked blocks. By simply drilling this hole into the gasket, you'll save yourself alot of trouble.

also most (not all) 400s have 3 freeze plugs on each side, as supposed to the 350s two.

still, you would be better off building a 383 stroker these days. Parts are cheaper, more available, and you have a better rod/stroke ratio.

14. Original Sin

Wrecking yard opens at 10 today :( I'm ready now! Bryce sent me a pic of a stock 400 damper, which should help narrow any candidates down (to either 400s or 383s), and I printed a list of serials from http://www.mortec.com/ to make sure. The serial should even help me select between the 2bolt and 4bolt version w/o having to pull the pan.

15. BrentRS1985

BrentRS1985 Guest

I've seen them as high as 440's

16. Ronin

Ronin Guest

thats some serious stroke

17. Bryce

Bryce New Member

you need a after market block to build anything much bigger then 421 and for that you need a 400 block and stroker crank and some cant go that far because of coreshift
    391 is the biggest a 350 block can really go you dont want more stroke then bore either

18. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

391? I don't think so. I've known plenty of people take them out to 396. Alot of the 94-96 Impala guys were also going with a 409 combination when it was time to rebuild, for the nastalgia of having a 409 again. However there is no real need to go this high on the street. You can easily do a rebuild on that 350 TBI, there should be nothing wrong with the block. Getting to 400+hp with 400lbs/tq or more on a 383 is a piece of cake, and should be more than enough for your average tow vehicle.

If you really wanted to go big power, with nice street manors, you would be better off building a milder 383 with a rock solid bottem end, and going with either a turbo system, or with nitrous for when you hit the track. I know alot of people will tell you to screw the more expensive turbo, and go it with a supercharger, but the fact is SCs are just not as flexable, and not as good for a street car as a turbo.

Remember aplication is tge key deciding factor for what you want to do. Alot of people get caught up in building big cube engines and shooting for mega power, but honestly you'll do better everytime when you build an engine around your needs, and your vehicle, and you'll save alot of trouble, money, and time.

19. Ronin

Ronin Guest

it appears i mistook a bore reading for smaller when i was reading about the 427 SBC, the 427s are running a 4.125 bore as opposed to 4.000

20. I've got a stroked 406" in my 55 suburban that's got plenty of low end :dunno: Motor is a solid driver though, nothing radical, but laid down 400/400

that said, I do have a 540 waiting to drop in and the 406 will go in the girlfriends car :lol: