A&P SB800 5th battery

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by GlobeGuy, Jun 26, 2007.

1. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

How do you deal with your 5th battery? My charger is such that I can only charge in 2s or 4s. So if I decide to use the 5th battery, one of my battery is not being used. Let say I repeat this process 1000 times, and I happen to not use one particular battery. On my 1001 time, I use the 6th battery that hasn't been used at all. I would think that this battery would hold more power than other 4 batteries. Would this hurt SB800? What about when the 5th battery is significantly weaker/older than other 4?

So far I have not used my external battery pack but I want to start using it. I missed few shots at a wedding last weekend due to slow charging flash.

Another question, when using 5 batteries does it last longer or is all of extra power used to speed up the charging time?

2. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

get a charger for more than 4 batteries...

Preferably 10. Then just cycle between the two sets of 5.

3. Cobber

Cobber Wanna touch my bunny hole?

It's just to cut down on the recycle time ... and beware of burning out your flash from over use. It's way easier than you think to fry your flash, and Nikon will not cover it if burns out from over use.

4. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

how would one fry a flash?

5. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I was thinking about this after I made the post. I would definitely choose missing a shot or two waiting for my speedlight to recharge vs burning it out.

If you are speaking from experience, may I ask if you burned your speedlight using 5th battery or an external power pack?

6. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

One definite way would be to use external power source. Your flash would have very little recharge time, and if you took number of shots in a row and on all shots your flash goes off then it can burn out due to heat. Plastic housing melting is not out of the question either from what I read.

With limited power your batteries provide your flash will need longer recharge time, and you may miss few shots but risk of burning it out is reduced.

7. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

will 2700mah do this also?

8. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

My guess is, the mah rating will have little affect on recharge time. So your risk is not increased by using 2700mah AA vs 1800mah AA. (But don't quote me on it :noes:)

9. Cobber

Cobber Wanna touch my bunny hole?

Over use will fry your flash ... I think the official word is 10 shots in a row.

I work with Nikon tech support and Nikon Service and see it all the time ... a lot of SB800s get fried from over use

10. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

if you're taking around 10 shots in a row, i'd hope you're getting paid pretty well to replace a flash if it goes down.

I really don't see this being as big of a problem as people make it out to be but what do I know...we use sb800's all day long and had one last over a year after taking 500-600 shots on average per day.