A&P SB600 or SB800?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jennyjenn, Jan 14, 2007.

1. jennyjenn

jennyjenn New Member

I'm taking a lighting class this semester and we need to purchase an external flash unit (which I'm so excited about, I've been wanting to get one and learn how to use it for a while now). Is the SB800 worth the extra money? Why or why not?

2. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

which model do you have?

It would be worth it to get it for the d50 but not so much for the d70/80

3. jennyjenn

jennyjenn New Member

I have a d50 but would eventually like to move up to something better.

4. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

IIRC the sb800 allows the d50 to use off camera. This function is already available for the d70 and d80 so I will probably go for the sb600.

If you plan on getting something better later then the choice is yours (well more specifically, your bank accounts).

5. Matt-AWD

Matt-AWD Active Member

The biggest deal about the SB800 is that you can use it as a command unit to control external SB600's. If you think you might do some multiple flash work in the near future, then the SB800 is your best choice for now. If you don't think you'll be using multiple flashes anytime soon, SB600 should work just fine. In terms of actual flash performance in the camera's hotshoe, they're pretty similar. The 800 has a slightly longer range, and can accept a 5th battery to reduce the recycle time. I personally have an SB600 and have no issues with it.

6. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

how's the build quality of the 600? and which defuser are you using?

7. jennyjenn

jennyjenn New Member

That's good to know about the ability for the sb800 to control other flashes (aren't those called slave flashes?). I don't really know for sure if I would use that in the future but the possibility of being able to use it is what gets me. I'm hoping to make a career in photography but that won't be for a few more years. I'll probably need to use multiple flashes especially if I pursue wedding photography which is an option I have been debating. Hmmm... not sure. Thanks for the input though. I really appreciate it.

8. Matt-AWD

Matt-AWD Active Member

Yes, they're called slave flashes. If you're unsure now, you could always get the SB600 now and then get an SB800 later if you decide to get into it.

Edit: There's also the speedlight commander (SU800), which is basically the SB800 minus the actual visible flash. It's about $250 and is strictly for controlling slave flashes.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  9. Matt-AWD

Matt-AWD Active Member

Build quality is excellent thus far, though admittedly I haven't had it long enough for anything to go wrong. I'm rocking Abetterbouncecard :mamoru: actually works quite well.

If you're not too concerned about flexibility, you can also get the SB400, but it can only rotate on 1 axis instead of 2 like the 600/800, so you're a bit screwed if you take a lot of vertical shots. IMO the 600 is worth the price difference for that ability alone, but if it's not something you care about then you can save yourself $70 or so. I've never seen an SB400 in person, but everything I've read indicates that it's significantly smaller than the higher-end models, so it might also be an option if you care about size and/or weight.

10. Redliner7

Redliner7 New Member

I have an SB600, and then I tried out my friend's SB800, and now I want the SB800...Since you have the D50, I'd say go with the SB800...you can do a lot with remote flash...

11. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

both will do just fine but I prefer the sb800 for some reason.

12. jennyjenn

jennyjenn New Member

I want to make one of those betterbouncecards... did you make it using that special foam material? What the hell is a rag shop? I have no idea what he's talking about. And he says the material doesn't have a name but that just seems stupid. Do you know where I can buy it? I would like to try and find it myself before resorting to buying one of his packages.

13. jennyjenn

jennyjenn New Member

SB400 doesn't seem too great if it can't rotate like the sb6/800. I'm going to get the sb600 at the very least.

14. jennyjenn

jennyjenn New Member

Thanks for the advice.

15. Cobber

Cobber Wanna touch my bunny hole?

I went with the SB600 cause if I deciede to go with multiple flash units then the 2nd one I buy will be the 800. keep in mind that it's the flash that has the commander mode ... not your camera. So if you get the SB800 you still will not be able to fire it remotely ... you'll just be able to fire any other flashes that you may get with the SB800.

I would recomend the SB600 ... I picked mine up for >$200

16. PonySpanker

PonySpanker New Member

I found it in a Hobby Lobby here in Houston. I bought 3 or 4 sheets at less than a dollar a sheet and made 7 of the bounce cards thinking they wouldn't hold up that well. That was 6 months ago and I'm still using the 1st one I put on the flash.

Like was said earlier, you really need a 2 axis flash if you want to take vertical shots.

17. Matt-AWD

Matt-AWD Active Member

:werd:
    Just about any craft store will carry it.

18. Snowballer

Snowballer - Blissfully Insane -

I have the SB600 with my D50 and it seems to be a perfect match. Now if I upgrade my camera, I'll definitely get the SB800.

19. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

after shooting tonight with an SB600, I really felt limited and underpowered. If you can afford it, get the SB800...I really think you'll find it to be a better buy in the long run.