says the saleman at a fitness store

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by njftw, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njftw

njftw New Member

my parents just bought an elliptical (awesome) and my father was telling me how he was talking to the guy who sold it to them. My dad said he was a big guy, maybe 6ft 190 but pretty solid...guy says he's at 7%bf right now.

ANYWAY

Dad tells him i'm trying to get down to 6% and he says, "wow, is he competing?" My dad says no, and he says "well then he shouldn't be trying to be that low, I mean if he was going to compete then yeah he could get down to 3% or so, but it's not healthy to be at 6% for very long...you need fats and oils blah blah blah blah"...

So...whats the deal? i've heard before that being at a real low bf% year round isn't good, but I was under the impression they meant being at 3%bf year round isn't good, but 6-7%...thats fine isn't it?

2. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

Good luck maintaining that...plus your numbers will suffer so you wont be able to train at you best. Then again, putting on muscle might not be something youre trying to accomplish.

3. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

I wouldn't stay 6% for more then a couple weeks.

4. njftw

njftw New Member

:wtc:

Right now I'm managing to put on size :)greddy:) while losing bf% but its probably noob gains. I've only been dieting and working out for almost 8 weeks and I've lost roughly 3-4%bf and kept the same weight. I want to get down to 6% so that I can start a clean bulk from there. Everyone has different goals, and mine are to get lean first, then bulk cleanly while keeping as much lbm as possible without gaining lots of fat.

5. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

6% is pretty fucking lean dude, what are you at now and how are you measuring your bf%?

6. njftw

njftw New Member

Why though?

I am not educated on the scientific or health aspect of it... only the aesthetically rewarding aspects haha.

7. njftw

njftw New Member

Right now my friend has been checking my bf every 2 weeks or so with a caliper. He competes, and used to be a personal trainer before he started competing so he knows more than i do about the accuracy.

This week he had me at 10.5%...how accurate that is I don't know... I'm gonna try and get some pics soon to update my other thread from last night.

8. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

Why do you want to be that low?

9. njftw

njftw New Member

yeah no doubt I'm skinny right now, only 5'10" @ 169lbs...but I would like to get to 6% before I started to try and add mass...just my personal preference. I don't plan on staying at 6% forever, but I did want to get down there, and then go from there

10. giz

giz Active Member

I've been telling you this for like 3 weeks now :ugh2:

11. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

BS on 10.5%

12. njftw

njftw New Member

whoa whoa buddy... take it easy, already said it was done on a caliper by just a guy who knows more about fitness and nutrition than me. I'm gonna try and get some pics soon so I can get another guesstimate from F&N guys who have been in the game longer. If I had to guess, I would honestly say I'm around 11% but we'll see.

13. Drewski

Drewski New Member

part of it is because BF cushions/insulates your organs and another reason is because fat is a fuel source. so you don't want to be so low that your burning your organ's "cushion" for energy

14. giz

giz Active Member

at that height/weight and the fact that you've only been working out for 8 weeks, I can almost guarantee you aren't at 10.5%... I just don't think you would have the muscle mass to put you at 169

caliper readings are usually pretty off. I ordered a pair of calipers once and they consistently measure me at 0-3% :rofl::ugh2:

15. njftw

njftw New Member

yeah thats one thing the guy told my dad was that your organs needs that layer of fat... and the fuel source, yeah I knew that...being tired all the time does suck.

16. njftw

njftw New Member

Lol sorry, I haven't been working out for only 8 weeks.

I playes 3 years of college baseball, been lifting since 9th grade...but after i quit college ball 2 years ago I kind of stopped everything, went to the gym randomly and never kept a good diet.

So 8 weeks ago I started lifting 5-7 days a week and got on a real diet.

sorry, obviously that doesn't mean i'm jacked, but im not a complete novice to the weightroom

17. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

I'd stay at 10% and add some mass but be careful to not get fat, I'd stay under 12-13% that way when you actually have some muscle you can get shredded quickly.

18. njftw

njftw New Member

I don't know if any of the bs means anything, but I'll give some of the numbers I do when I go to the gym. I have never learned DL's so I don't do them...I used to squat all the time for baseball but dont like them because of my osgood slaughters, my right quad is under developed, so my squat lacks a little.

For flat DB bench my last set is usually 90's X 8 reps (if i can)
    Squat I usually just stack on 2 plates and rep that out about 6-8 times for 3-4 sets, then my last of 4 drop sets on leg press ends with 6 plates on each end usually.
    Lat pull downs my last drop set usually start with 135 or so.

i'm not super skinny but i am in no way big. My workout buddy is about 5'9" - 180lbs and he is a true 8-9.5% bf...he has a really good psychique (no homo) with actual mass

19. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

I'd then say that guy doesn't know jack shit about measuring you. From what you've posted, i'd guesstimate 15% :mamoru:

20. njftw

njftw New Member

True, good advice...my two buds lose bf so much faster than me but they both have about 15lbs more LBM than me

21. dengar

If he knew anything he would have squashed these dream of 6% body fat before you even posted in here.

22. njftw

njftw New Member

Lol. Yeah, I'm under 15% for sure I can say that.

When I get home I'll take pics so you guys can help me out.

Just trying to get some help from F&N, not trying to start a troll thread :wtc:

23. njftw

njftw New Member

Yeah, ok tough guy

24. njftw

njftw New Member

25. dengar

I'm not being tough just realistic.

I'm sorry your friend is leading you in the wrong direction.

I'm sure with his help and the eliptical salesman's advice you will be at 6% in no time and will make us all look like assholes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.