Say I have this computer...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PhotoboothRelic, May 14, 2006.

1. PhotoboothRelic

PhotoboothRelic New Member

And it powers on, but there is either no video output....monitor just shows the 'no input signal' screen. Video card has VGA and Svid, nothing from either. From unhooking/replacing, I've found that the problem is not from HD, optical drives, floppy, power supply. I haven't happened upon failure in video cards, mobos or RAM before, so I'm not sure which I should be looking at here.

There's actually another computer (my parents') that is doing the same thing, but has onboard video.

Is the problem obvious, or is there an easy way to find out? Besides what I already listed, I don't have extra parts to play around with to test out the originals.

:x:

2. Neuman

Neuman New Member

does it give you a post code?

if there arent any weird beeps when you boot it up...i'd be more inclined to say its your mobo rather then your video card..

3. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Yeah the post beeps are good to know. Does it have any wierd beepings? Most boards beep once for everything is ok, sometimes its 2 quick beeps.... do you get a constant on off beeping? If so, I would say ram. If you get no beeps at all (but used to) try swapping out the cpu with one that works. If it still doesnt work, throw the board the away. As for video... is it pci/agp?

Have you tried resetting bios? Theres a jumper in there, or even just disconnect the power from the wall and pop the little battery out for about 30 seconds (some boards you just try clicking the power button (with no power) to clear everything out) then put it back in and try firing it up.

What kind of specs?

4. PhotoboothRelic

I get no beeps. HD powers up (and was tested in another computer), CPU fan cames on, ethernet port light comes on. I have tried resetting the BIOS with the jumper and power button.

2500+ Barton
    Biostar M7NCD Pro (I think that's it)
    512M 2700
    GeForce4 Mx440 64M AGP
    160G Seagate 7200.9

:o It's good enough for what I use it for, anyway.

5. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

any other ram you can try? Wait... did you get beeps before?

6. PhotoboothRelic

Yeah, when it was working I got a single beep at startup.

I'll have to dig around to see if I have some other RAM I could try. I don't remember seeing any before, but there may be some. I've got a graveyard of old computers I took from people in one of my closets :rofl:

7. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

ok dont worry about ram
    your ram is probably fine

My vote is on either cpu or motherboard... Normally its the mobo if you get no beeps... Depending on whats wrong with the cpu youll usually get a cpu code beep... My guess is mobo is shot. :hsugh:

8. PhotoboothRelic

Meh...it's probably just time to go with a new computer. Can't get too modern of a mobo that fits socket A, AGP is close to being gone, RAM is old. Oh well, I can just use my laptop for now, I guess.

9. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

my recommendation is ASROCK K7S41GX... Ive used like 3 of them in my systems. Socket A, AGP, 3 DDR (1.5gb max) and supports my 3000+xp chip. They are cheap. I picked mine up for 45 bucks for my other system (sold now). Only thing is if the chipset is different (which it likely is) you will have to reinstall windows... Maybe repairing it will work, never done it.

10. PhotoboothRelic

Thanks for the rec.

I'll just see how everything goes with my money. Sucks, because I was just wanting to look for a new laptop in the next few months :hs:

11. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

maybe it's set by default to send video through another slot instead of pci

i was building a computer a few years ago, it was set to show video through pci in the cmos. the only way to switch it to agp was to install a pci video card and then navigate the cmos to switch it over to agp