Saw "Wanted" Tonight.

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Rich, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Rich

Rich New Member

Shit was epic. It was pretty funny too.

2. camrytt

camrytt Sexual Deviant

i thought it was ok. better than i expected at least. still glad i watched it online instead of a theater.

3. Nick Gerz

Nick Gerz OT Supporter

loved it

4. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

Very over the top, but a whole lot of fun. Made me buy the graphic novel.

5. EliotNess

EliotNess New Member

Who wrote the novel? Usually I'm up on that stuff but I missed that one...

6. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

This movie is NOTHING like the book. Other than names and a similar idea. That said, both were really fun! I went in with a slightly open mind knowing that they had changed so much of the book. I was pleasantly surprised on how much fun the movie was. I have heard a sequel is in the works... that should be interesting for obvious reasons to anyone who has seen it.

7. Boing

Boing OT Supporter

Movie sucked. Like I said in the other Wanted thread, shitty plot, shitty acting, shitty CGI.

8. trixter1234

trixter1234 OT Supporter

it might've been a good movie if they didn't go overboard with the cgi

9. Uween

Uween New Member

i have to say it was not that bad.....

10. RayC

RayC Don't 'cha wish your offense was hot like me???

Saw it last night, and I kept thinking to myself that they intended for Samuel L. Jackson to play Sloan, but he turned it down and they got Morgan Freeman

11. CabbieNamedAxel

CabbieNamedAxel OTCC|SF OT Supporter

I hate to be one of those source fags, but reading the book before hand, shit was terrible. It's the same for 4 minutes and then they go off on a completely different story. What the fuck, really, the movie is about super villains. There's no conscience with Wesley, he rapes and kills random people for the hell of it. His best friend? He shot him in the face. He was in his office for all of one page, and it consisted of him saying "fuck you" to everyone. Out of 6 comic books, 1 page became 30 minutes of the movie. How the shit did that happen?

I realize that it would be absurd to do a direct translation, there was a guy named shit head who was literally made out of shit, but this whole weaving of thread bullshit and the lying about who his father is, the book was so much simpler. His dad set up the whole thing, faked his death so that the fraternity would make him less of a pussy. The end. How it became the clusterfuck of a movie that I just watched is beyond me.

12. Mr. Pelham

Mr. Pelham Guest

then please don't. Nothing bothers me more than someone coming in and saying it was "completely different than the book, novel, comic, etc" as if they are some expert and created it themselves. So don't be that elitist asshole that thinks they "ruined" the graphic novel and didn't to it justice and snub your nose at it.

The reason they do this is because it reaches more people willing to go see it. You have your fan base already pre-sold, then you have the people you want to tape into and create a story in which is more appealing. Those people, tell other people who in turn tell other people that it was good and entertaining.

there are other reasons as well, such as it being a different medium but I won't get into that. So please, next time just see the movie for what it is, if you're expecting it to be a page by page reproduction of a book you've read then you're entirely too close minded.

13. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

the movie was fun to watch. sure it was over the top but who cares, it was a fast paced movie that is just fun to watch.

14. Zeromancer

Zeromancer Pampita's Love Slave

was a decent mindless action flick

15. HaremScarem

HaremScarem So you think that you're an angel, well then the d

jesus christ this is the worst movie forum in the fucking universe

16. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

now, i've never read the book, nor watched the movie; but Cabbie is right here. How can you base something off a very popular comic book and do a complete 180 from the source material?

That would be like taking batman and putting him in a suit with nipples; or Spiderman breaking into a musical

ok so maybe those werent the best choices, but if you took a book like Jurassic Park, and instead of a bunch of palentologists visiting an island filled with dinosaurs, you get pirates sailing the ocean finding a time warp, propelling them 65 million years into the past (or 3000 years ago if you believe in creation) only to see nothing but robots fucking your grandma

17. CabbieNamedAxel

CabbieNamedAxel OTCC|SF OT Supporter

Like I elaborated, I know you can't do a scene by scene reproduction of this book. It worked very well for somethings (Sin City, 300), but this is so extravagant that you couldn't possibly get away with an R rating.

My point was that they didn't even keep the story intact. There is no point in calling it Wanted, it was a complete different story. Sloan? Never existed. Gunsmith? Nope. Russian dude with rats? Niet. Fox's little suicide bullet twirl? Nope. Hell, the bullet bending bullshit wasn't even in the book, and that was a huge part of the movie. You never see Mr. Rictus or the Professor. You don't meet the five crime families, or any of the other faces they introduce. Cross? He didn't exist. Wesley's dad was the baddest assassin ever in the fraternity, and he fakes his own death so that Fox and the rest of the fraternity help him unlearn the pacifist ways his mother taught him. He wanted his son to have more control over his life, but he doesn't go rogue and try to stop the fraternity or any of that crap.

The entire tone of the movie was a 180 from the book. Kill one to save a thousand? It was more like kill one, kill a thousand, who gives a shit we're fucking villains. I hated how they tried to give meaning to the murder that everyone committed. There wasn't a point, that was the beauty of it! For training, he was killing random people from a rooftop! The thread of fate shit was such a failing plot device, it was disgusting. A fucking rug that speaks binary and tells you who to kill? PLEASE. I read comics and even that's too farfetched for me to believe.

I'll never claim they ruined the book, I re-read it just after watching the movie and I still enjoy it immensely. If you're gonna do a movie based off a popular book, you need to have some loyalty to the source material. What they created and released wasn't wanted. Have you read the comic book? Tell me if you find any similarity between the stories.