Saving my oldHD...can it be done?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Johnny Chimpo, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Johnny Chimpo

Johnny Chimpo New Member

ok.
    my old pc took a shit so i pulled the hd and threw the old pos computer in the garage.

i bought a new computer. its a dell so i dont suppose it is expandable.

so what i wanna know is, is there anyway i can get all my old files off the old hd? i have a bunch of mp3's, programs, and other stuff i would like to keep. i dont wanna have to dl 1000's of mp3's all over again.

if you guys can help.that would be awesome.

thanks.

2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

easiest thing:

open your new computer and use the cables from the cdrom on the old hd. boot up and copy everything you want from the old drive to the new one, shutdown, switch the cables back and close the case. done.

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

or if the HDD IDE cable as a free IDE port on it, just mount the old drive in the case and use it for extra storage.
    I personally would copy everything from it to the new HDD, then completely reformat the new drive and then use it for extra storage or as my games drive.

4. Johnny Chimpo

Johnny Chimpo New Member

whoa wait....im slow at this stuff.

panic: can you please elaborate a little more?

wolf: i dont know if the new computer is expandable as i have not recieved it yet. so how do i go about that?

5. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

When you get the system, just open the case. Look at the HDD that's installed.
    Look for the IDE ribbon cable and follow it down to the mobo.
    If along the way you come across another connection in the middle of the cable, then you're 1 step closer.
    Now look back at the HDD installed and see if there room around it to add a second HDD in the bay that is hopefully above or below it. The problem some times is that there is enough room, it's just that the makers mount the single HDD in the middle and you'll have to move it up or down.

However if there is no way a second drive can be mounted near the current HDD, well then things get tricky. Because it might be possible to mount the drive in the bays under the DVD/CD drives go. If there are 2 open bays there, then you can buy rails made for mounting 3.5inch HDDs into 5.25in bays, but you'll have to buy 2 sets of rails and move the current HDD up there.

Also if the installed HDD's IDE cable doesn't have a second IDE port for a second HDD, no problems there. Just find a RadioShack (last resort because of prices) or other store like it that sells computer parts and just buy another IDE cable that does. They are cheap. You might even want to get a nice rounded cable for a cleaner look and better airflow....in which case you might want to get 2 rounded cables and replace the IDE cable for the DVD/CD drive(s). Rounded cables are as cheap as standard IDE cables, but the prices aren't that much different just a few extra bucks.

Sounds like a lot of work, I know, just to get a second HDD mounted in. But it'll be worth it in the long run and if you ever want to upgrade either one or both of those HDDs, it'll be that much easier.