Saving my failing hard drive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by XrRydr, Dec 17, 2009.

1. XrRydr

XrRydr New Member

Hi, I have a macbook, I think it's considered 3rd generation, I got it May of 2007. Today when I tried to boot into it it came up with I/O errors on disk0s2. I went on my desktop and a quick search says that it's probably a failing hard drive. I burnt the latest ubuntu live cd and that's where I am now. When I booted the live cd I had an exclamation mark next to my hard drive saying that it has many bad sectors and should be backed up and replaced. As a side note, I am pleased that everything works out of the box, even wireless works without problem where I remember I used to have to compile those manually.

What I'm trying to do now is transfer all of my files onto an external drive. I can access them through the live cd, the only problem is that it says that I don't have permission to read them. It's really frustrating to see that my picture folder is right there ready to copy, but it says I don't have permission. Is there a way around this?

Also, I tried booting up my leopard install cd and went to the disk utility. I ran the repair function and afterwards said that the disk was ok and appeared bootable, but it's not. Any ideas?

2. JCrev

JCrev Where is your god now? OT Supporter

I think to get it to work you would need to.

1. Run Nautilus as root so it can get around permissions
    2. Copy the stuff to the external drive using the root session
    3. Install new hdd in macbook and install os x
    4. Change permissions on the files so your new account owns the files
    (this step might not be needed)
    5. Copy the files back

So basically open a terminal sessions and type in 'sudo nautilus' and use that window to copy the files

3. XrRydr

XrRydr New Member

Awesome thanks, sudo nautilus did the trick and I was able to get all my files. Do you think a new hard drive is needed or would a reformat suffice?

4. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

replace it.