Saving Bookmark list in firefox?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Budha, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Budha

Budha Guest

Is there a way to save all of the bookmarks on firefox? I'm about to reformat my computer because of slow down and I want to save all of my bookmarks. Thanks

2. 7960

7960 New Member

bookmarks--> manage bookmarks--> File--> export

3. Budha

Budha Guest

appreciated

4. illmaceyougood

illmaceyougood New Member

that's awesome, because twice i've opened firefox to find all my bookmarks deleted

5. Apothis

Apothis New Member

All your bookmarks are stored in a file called bookmarks.html, in your profile. You can actually browse your bookmarks by opening this file in a browser as a web page. Anyway, I'd recommend just backing up the whole profile folder. That way, you can keep everything (extensions, settings, etc).

Go here for your FF profile:

%userprofile%\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

(you can copy+paste this into your explorer address bar)

6. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

I've heard about this numerous times, but never had it happen to me. What's going on?

7. Apothis

Apothis New Member

The only instances I've witnessed of bookmarks missing is if the browser crashed and was still running as a process in task manager, and when you click to run it again, it creates a new profile because the other one is "locked" or something. The new profile, being pure default, lacks the personalized start page, bookmarks, extensions, etc. This is easily fixed by killing the process to unlock the profile. Of course, if a new profile was created, that is now the default and the only one that loads. The old one isn't "gone" though, it's just sitting there unused. There are at least a couple ways to delete the new profile and set it back to the correct one (profile manager, or editing the ini file).

I've never seen any instance of a profile or bookmarks ACTUALLY being deleted, but the crash+profile-hiccup is, or was, not too uncommon.