Saving a T-700?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by droopz, Feb 9, 2007.

1. droopz

droopz New Member

Is there anything that could be done for a slipping T-700 (cable kick-down) that might prolong its life and firm it up a bit more than just a standard filter kit?

I'm fairly inexperianced with autos and their internals, but am very keen on trying to get a bit more life out of my poor flogged out box, before I drop more $$$ on a new one, and kill this one at some upcoming races.

2. t-700? is that a ford tranny?

3. droopz

droopz New Member

Nah, its the 4 speed autos in most GM cars (Turbo-700) from, i dunno, the 80's onwards or something. Camaros, Vettes, Commodores etc.... Very common box, I just hoped someone might have some idea of what a DIY fanatic could do to extend the life of a slipping one.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Thicker oil would help; it would tighten up the torque converter and help the hydraulic servos achieve and maintain the proper pressure against the belt clamps. It's a "turn up the radio" kind of fix, but it would work for a while, anyway, until you can track down a place that can do a proper rebuild. Dump a bottle of Slick 50 transmission oil in it -- the stuff is basically extra-thick Dexron.