Save a Euro coolie!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Omega6_Virus, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

Okay. I have a Volvo 944t at the moment, and it has served me great. I love the car, but I want to move on to something else. Right now, I am looking at a early 90's Fox Body 5.0 Mustang. The car I test drove was great, but it sold a few days later. I found someone who is a Volvo enthusiast about 40mins away from me who I know through a mutual friend. I told him about the car and how I wanted to move on to something else, he said he was very interested.
    Now, I wouldn't mind driving another Volvo, because I love them. The only thing is, I will not find a RWD Volvo with good HP. My current 940 is RWD and 162/195. That's decent and gets me through my day with no problem, but I want more. I would modify the 940, but the costs for the power gained isn't so nice. I am not oppposed to FWD, but I am just used to RWD handling characteristics. Now, with the sale of my Volvo and money I have around, I would get about $7500. I am working, soon I hope, for 6.20/hr. I could also take out a loan. But, I need suggestions to cars with decent power, at least more than my current car, and that can be found with manual transmissions for under 10k. Thanks.

I am not deadset on these restrictions. If you can think of a car I would like, then please post it. All I really ask is that they show good mechanical qualities over lifetime.

2. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

Solution:

Mustang + Volvo = Volv8.

Put a 302 or 350 in the Volvo. The only thing that would make your Volvo scarier than that would be a gun rack in the back seat.

3. MerkurMan

MerkurMan Gimme Nuts, Bolts and 12 Volts

My suggestion exactly.

4. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

I was thinking about that, but a few things. One, not enough money(3.3k for engine alone) . I would only buy new parts which means new engine, suspension, transmission(C4 auto=crap and rigging a manual T5=lots of work). Two, time. Not enough of that either. I would not be opposed to buying a completed car, but those are expensive aswell. Three, I came across a prelude and its something I am looking at very seriously. Insurance would be a lot cheaper than getting a 5.0 outright and I don't mean to sound like a ricer, but I would turbo it(Volvo's got me used to boost :) ).

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Could pick up a really nice Saab 900 Turbo or 9000 Turbo for $7500. FWD, but damn quick.

6. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

That sounds nice. Saab's can be a pain, but so are Volvo's. I hear the lag is bad, but thats not a problem. I still looking around at Volvo 850's and even still possibly keeping mine or getting another 940.

7. Dexteh

Dexteh Guest

850 turbo is the way to go if you want a volvo... for relatively little. if money was no object, id say go for the s60R AWD turbo, they are incredibly nice.

8. daft punk

daft punk New Member

850 Turbo, duh

9. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

I'll get the 40k from the safe next to my Bentley. :sadwavey:

I really want a manual transmission. I do not find a fit 854 turbo or T-5, I think I'll look for a Saab or Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX.