GUN Savage guys, how does the whole "install it yourself" barrel thing work?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, Oct 21, 2009.

1. So, basically you get a fully finished barrel and all you do is screw it into the action? How do you headspace it, or does it only go in so far, and the headspacing is already taken care of?

2. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Assuming the barrel is "pre-fit", you screw in the barrel until it hits a "GO" gauge, then you screw down the barrel nut to tighten it all up.

Pac-Nor will setup your Remmy to do the same thing if you'd like.....

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

Never done it.

As I understand it... insert & close bolt. Drop go headspace guage into chamber, screw barrel into receiver until go gauge is tight against bolt face. This sets minimum head space. Work the bolt and tweak a thousandth either way if the bolt is tight or loose, tighten the barrel lock nut, then masturbate furiously.

4. sprite

sprite Active Member

phrozen beat me but he left out the most important step

5. :noes: Phrozen wants me to die in a tragic rifle "accident."

6. What kind of tool do smiths use to tighten the remmy barrels?

7. The ability for a normal person to install a barrel on a bolt gun. Generally you have to have a smith fit one for you.

8. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

The factory ones? Or the Pac-Nor variants?

I've no experience with the PN's. Normally you would use a barrel/action vise. Lot more time spent on a lathe.

9. I was thinking it would be really cool (though I have no practical use for it) to do a .22-243 Middlestead or Ackley. Throw a 90 VLD at over 3400 fps and watch magic happen. I figured it would be unkind to barrels, so it would be nice to have the option to fit a barrel myself rather than pay a gunsmith to do it.

Really, I'm just daydreaming about it.

10. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I'm not gonna lie.... I'd probably snag a Stevens on the cheap if one became available to do same with.

I never could jive with the 22-243, unless you were just wanting to push a .224 bullet as fast as it could possibly go. The 22-250AI just seems like it would be the most, for the least.

11. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I've been reading up on re-barreling Mauser actions and much is said about primary and secondary torque shoulders. Does the Savage not actually have either since the barrel doesn't directly butt-up to the receiver face and unless you chamber the barrel yourself there would be no guarantee that the primary torque shoulder would be there?

Edit: I've never re-barreled a rifle before.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009