GUN Savage 10FP....any reason not to get it?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Dadilius, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Dadilius

Dadilius New Member

Been a while since I've been on OT, but I figured I'd get more real world answers from you guys then gun forums.

I'm about to toss down the plastic on ordering a 10FP and so far I can't find any reason not to (which is good to me.) Just would rather know if there's some reason why anyone thinks it's bad for a cheaper rifle. It's going to be a target gun only, and if I can actually get good enough, I'd like to try for some long distance shots....600-700+ yards...?

Any reasons you say not to but one? Or something compareable but better?

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Somebody is suppose to give you the standard get a remington 700. Guess I'll do it.

Remington 700. Better action.

3. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Which Remington? There are several.

4. Dadilius

Dadilius New Member

Firgured the 700 would come into play........but....saying I don't like it, how 'bout the 10?

5. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

The Savage is a fine rifle with a great price.

6. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Savage 10= cheaper than the Remmy. Better factory trigger. Good aftermarket following.

Remmy 700 SPS = Slightly bit more $. Factory trigger is decent, aftermarkets are much better. Huge aftermarket.

I've got a 10FCP (detachable mags) w/ HS Precison stock. I haven't shot it yet, but as soon as I finish piecing it together, I will be. The only reason I went with the 10>700 is that I have full intentions of buying a bunch of 700's down the line, so I figured I'd throw a Savage into the mix to mix it up a bit.

Flip a coin. You can't go wrong with either.

7. sprite

sprite Active Member

If you're looking at the baseline model the factory stock sucks. I'd leave a little spare budget to either go with one of the upgraded factory models, or buy something aftermarket.

The 700 is a better base for a custom build, so if you plan on eventually sending it out to have the action blue-printed and that kind of shit then just start with the Remington.

I love my 10FP-HS

[​IMG]

8. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

Only down side I can think of to my 10FP is that the stock isn't the greatest, albeit no worse than the stock the 700SPS unboxes with.

Has a great trigger and shoots a very tight group out of the box.

9. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

i can't think of any reason not to buy one.

i personally went with a remy but like someone else said, just flip a coin. they are both great rifles.

10. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I'd say out of the box and if you dont plan on getting heavy into customizing it, the Savage is a great rifle. If you get the base one, budget for a new stock, or just go with either the HS or McM models from the start.

If you plan on modding a lot and doing a full custom build eventually, consider the 700 as it has more support.

11. itchiban

itchiban New Member

I always heard and read that the 10FP w/accutrigger was a better gun for accuracy out of the box, but after you really work them over the 700 will be a better rifle.

I can't say for sure if that's true because the few times I shot either rifle, they both shot better than I did. :hs:

12. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240))

It all comes down to your budget. If you can afford the 700 and really good glass, then go for it. If you can't, then you should get the Savage and a really good scope.

13. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I prefer 700's by a wide margin, but if the extra cost means the difference between shit glass and decent glass, buy the Savage.

Note, that paying new factory prices for 700's is stupid..... These guns are easy to find, and cheap on the used market. I just scored a 30.06 BDL for $300 over the weekend. Of course, it's not what I want at all, but I'll ditch the stock, barrel, and bottom metal and have an action for next to nothing. I could have it rebarelled with a McM stock for less that what Remington charges for some of their mid-range lines.

14. Landfill

Landfill New Member

I have shot both, and I have owned a 10FP, IMO if you are going to be doing a lot of work to the gun with mods and upgrades go for the 700. If you want to keep it pretty stock and have a great shooting gun, 10FP is the way to go. In the end they are both great, budget and intentions of what you are using it for in the end will make the decision for you.

15. Dadilius

Dadilius New Member

I'm assuming that this is the same one?

http://www.savagearms.com/10fphsprecision.htm

So everyone that's saying go for a better stock, would this one be a better purchase than just the standard FP model?

Glass will be purchased seperate and I've I can convince the money bags that it's okay, I'll probably be spending around the same $ as the rifle cost. I know that glass makes a big difference in the end, so I want something good.

However, to get the other side, what model Rem 700 would be a good start? Questions questions.....

16. Dadilius

Dadilius New Member

17. sprite

sprite Active Member

Similar. Mine has the detachable box magazine... I think all the 10 series are DBM now, Savage has just never bothered to update their website.

The HS is a huge upgrade over the factory Savage stock. A lot of people prefer the McMillan to the HS though, but either are a big improvement.

18. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

it will outshoot the majority of shooters out there

19. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

A chopped up 2x4 will be better than the factory injection molded deal. I personally don't care for the HS, but I suppose it's a step up. Why not just buy the cheapest barreled action you can and pick out what stock you want yourself? B&C has a good reputation for some of there higher-end offerings, as does Manners, McMillan, and Stockade...

The cheapest one you can find. Seriously. Most of Remingtons factory offerings are easily bettered on by a guy with a credit card and a Brownells catalog. You are just wanting the barreled action (if keeping caliber/barrel), or the action (if changing the barrel out). Everything else on the rifle is FS ad fodder.

Actually, you could do the same with a Savage, and just source the cheapest Stevens 200 you could (same action/barrel as Savage), dump the trigger/stock/barrel and build what you wanted. Either way puts you ahead over whatever Remmy/Savage thinks you need.

20. Dadilius

Dadilius New Member

I didn't know that you could even do that.......so to put me on the right track, where would I even look for this stuff? I've always just looked for the whole gun when buying new stuff.......

21. sprite

sprite Active Member

Your money... but if this is your first "precision" rifle and you're not already hooked up with a good smith I'd really recommend you start of with a quality factory-built rifle. You'll have a known quantity, factory support, and a large community of other shooters with an essentially identical rifle if you run into any problems with it.

IMO starting off with a pile of parts is a great for a guy like phrozenlikwid that is experienced and probably has connections with a good smith or two... but is really not the way to cut your teeth in precision shooting. Rifles are conceptually simple but there is a reason places like GAP and R&D Precision have long wait lists for $2500+ custom rifles.

22. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

Rem 700 SPS Tactical 20" and I love Savage

Your not going to go wrong with either. The Rem will have better aftermarket items

23. Dadilius

Dadilius New Member

Very good point there.......and makes sense, since I'm not "in" with anyone, nor have I even built a rifle before. Jeeps yes, guns no.

I'll stick with a fully built one out of the box. Rem 700 or Savage 10somethin.....

About glass, what brands should I look into with say, 400-500 to spend on a scope? I know dick about what's good and bad......I've read up on here, but I mostly see baby killer black rifles (I need's one of those:drool:) with little scopes..... Something good for some longer shots?

24. Dadilius

Dadilius New Member

Oh, and on the subject....do scope mounts not usually come with the rifle? Savage has a link on their page to different mounts, so I'm assuming it A) doesn't come with one or B) you just choose what you want when buying?

25. sprite

sprite Active Member

Mounts usually do not come with the rifle. You also don't have to buy them from Savage. Pretty much any manufacturer who make mounts and rings makes them for the 10FP short action.

You'll get even more opinions on optics & mounts than you will on rifles. :rofl: