Saunas, any point?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Psyc0, Mar 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

I work at the UCLA gym and we have a dry sauna. I've never actually decided to go in it but i'm kinda curious as to the benefits it has. Is there any? Is it more of just a way to relax?

In other news, hit my goals before spring break. 225x5 on bench and 315x5 on squat. Going for a 405 max on squat before the year is done and a hopefully a 275+ bench.

2. irKevLar

irKevLar New Member

I've said this in another thread:
    Have you ever wondered why there are only fat people in those saunas?

3. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

fat hairy sweaty balls touching those benches...

no thx...

4. amdspitfire

amdspitfire New Member

hows the new wooden center? I went back when they just started the remodel and damn did the equipment and that place suck.

5. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

:ugh:

6. methusala

methusala New Member

Saunas are great for your overall health, but they won't make you big and ripped.

7. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Direct causality ! That's pure science !! :bowdown:

8. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i don't like saunas, i'm more a cold guy after lifts

9. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

and why is that?

10. HoodRich

HoodRich Professional Street Nigga OT Supporter

my skin always feels and looks fantastic after being in the sauna. it's also an easy way to drop some quick water weight if you need to.

11. methusala

methusala New Member

I'm not sure which claim you are questioning, so we'll tackle both.

1. Saunas are good for your overall health. It has been shown that saunas are great for removing toxins and easing hypertension. There are many other benefits of the sauna, just search for them.

2. Saunas will not increase muscle mass. Studies have been done regarding optimal post-workout temperatures (say for those showering afterward) and it was found that moderate temperatures promote the most anabolism. The etiology was specious at best, but the premise makes sense and the results correlated well. Obviously the sauna alone (read: without exercise) will not make you stronger. When I sauna, I prefer it to be very hot and humid, which may hinder my gains a bit. I think of it in the same manner as running. It may not allow me to put on weight as fast, but its other benefits outweigh that. Like bryan said, I also notice healthier skin after the sauna.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the sauna. I hit it after most of my workouts, being sure to stay adequately hydrated. It really is relaxing and probably has some sort of cortisol-antagonistic effect, though I'm not aware of any studies regarding this.

I say give it a shot and see how you like it.

12. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

A dry sauna has more benefits than a wet sauna

13. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

:bigthumb:

I acutally go into the dry sauna of my gym all the time, I was just checking if you had anything to support your claim. :)

14. methusala

methusala New Member

Here are a few that I found with a quick search:

M. Hannuksela. Benefits and risks of sauna bathing. The American Journal of Medicine, Volume 110, Issue 2, Pages 118-126.

Kukkonen-Harjula K. Ann Clin Res. 1988;20(4):262-6. How the sauna affects the endocrine system: "The concentrations of the growth hormone and prolactin, in particular, secreted from the anterior pituitary are increased in the circulation."

Vuori I. Ann Clin Res. 1988;20(4):249-56. Sauna bather's circulation.

Ernst E,Pecho E, Wirz P,and Saradeth T. Ann Med. 1990;22(4):225-7. Regular sauna bathing and the incidence of common colds: "It is concluded that regular sauna bathing probably reduces the incidence of common colds"

Repeated sauna treatment improves vascular endothelial and cardiac function in patients with chronic heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol, 2002; 39:754-759.

Certainly there is literature elucidating the sauna's detrimental effects as well. IMO, if you enjoy the sauna, do it. If you don't enjoy it, don't do it.

15. friedrice

friedrice New Member

It is definitely a northern states trend. I live in New Mexico and you have to search pretty hard to find someone with a sauna. I have a ton of family in the UP of Michigan. Almost every single person up there has a sauna at their house. They all have great skin and are in great moods when they do use them. Kinda off topic but hey whateva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.